Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wait, isn't white interior a very recent option? Consequently, by definition, you're at the rear of the line, you changed your config. End of the line is Oct/Nov. It's not the end of the world. Yeah, I know, maybe not but one can see it from there.

Dude that is literally the point point I was making by saying that? what's the point of responding to say the same thing?
On another note, my config still says Sept-Nov Delivery Est.

Wait, isn't white interior a very recent option? Consequently, by definition, you're at the rear of the line, you changed your config. End of the line is Oct/Nov. It's not the end of the world. Yeah, I know, maybe not but one can see it from there.
I never changed my config. I was a day 1 line waiter but did not place my order until AWD and White interior were available.
My window shows Sept-Nov BTW.

Current expectations on almost 700 orders:

upload_2018-8-16_9-17-17.png

* The "Waiting (so far)" is a bit misleading. It just means, since these people ordered on or around June 28th, they have had no update from Tesla, so 45 days since then. Many will continue to wait before they get a VIN, so this number will grow. The average for ordering to delivery is longer than 45 days since June 28 because many people are entering their scheduled delivery date in the future. So they will have waited that number of days between ordering and delivery once they receive the car. Make sense?

upload_2018-8-16_9-24-49.png

Here's another interesting view (column BT in the sheet) I came up with - for those wondering how their location is affecting how quickly they get a VIN:

2018-08-16 10_08_27-Window.png

The locations with the highest response rate are:
  1. DC, Hawaii and "Other" are all 100% fulfilled (but they only have 1 order each, so not statistically significant)
  2. New Jersey is next with 43.3% of 30 orders either with a VIN or a delivery date (I guess it's not only West Coast getting responses!)
  3. Ohio with 6 of 14 (42.9%)
  4. Virginia at 40.9% (9 of 22)
The locations with the poorest response are:
  1. ALL OF CANADA with zero responses for 36 orders. I'm not bitter. No, not at all.
  2. Texas. Texas has no VINs or delivery dates recorded for 30 orders. No love for Texas?
The benchmark of course is California, which has 33 of 146 orders, or 22.6%.

Last edited:

If you ordered and then changed to the white interior you keep your spot in line. My DBM/White w/ aero's should be in my garage by next weekend.

Reactions: Sagedaddy
Here's another interesting view (column BT in the sheet) I came up with - for those wondering how their location is affecting how quickly they get a VIN:

View attachment 326200

The locations with the highest response rate are:
  1. DC, Hawaii and "Other" are all 100% fulfilled (but they only have 1 order each, so not statistically significant)
  2. New Jersey is next with 43.3% of 30 orders either with a VIN or a delivery date (I guess it's not only West Coast getting responses!)
  3. Ohio with 6 of 14 (42.9%)
  4. Virginia at 40.9% (9 of 22)
The locations with the poorest response are:
  1. ALL OF CANADA with zero responses for 36 orders. I'm not bitter. No, not at all.
  2. Texas. Texas has no VINs or delivery dates recorded for 30 orders. No love for Texas?
The benchmark of course is California, which has 33 of 146 orders, or 22.6%.
How ny look for nonP deliveries?

My configuration too. And reserved and configured WAY after me, of course. Oh. And did I mention that I'm not just on the same side of the country as the factory, but also just 74 miles away? Days needed in transit: 0.

Currently on hold with Tesla at 10:30pm local. What option are all of you callers using? None of them match what I'm calling for. Somebody earlier mentioned #3. But that takes me to a local service center. They're all closed of course, and they wouldn't be able to help me anyway.
I tried calling after hours last night and there was told to call back during normal hours. What number works at night?

Well, someone near Richmond VA might get lucky. I had to decline the delivery date.

And, my details...

Non-prior owner
Reservation: 5/30/2017
Configured: 7/19/2018
Blue AWD, Non-P, black premium interior, aero wheels, no EAP

Add EAP (which is just software anyway) and that's my config- and I reserved earlier-3/31/16 (online), non-owner, configured earlier- 6/26/2018, and 0 contact from Tesla so far (and I'm about 3 hours from Richmond, in NC, FWIW).

OK. So this plan to call at night to avoid the big delays: fail. The guy who answered was quite pleasant, but said he could tell me nothing. He's the "after hours" staff, and is there to deal with emergencies. So this was my first-ever contact with Tesla CS, and it didn't work. He said I should call back early tomorrow "before they get busy."
For the record I called the sales number (888-518-3752) at around 3pm Eastern yesterday and had less than a 10 minute wait. I laughed when it said it had long hold times of greater than 5 minutes! So at least yesterday that was a great time to call.

If you ordered and then changed to the white interior you keep your spot in line. My DBM/White w/ aero's should be in my garage by next weekend.

Basically this. I think it's actually my 19's that are holding back my order. All I've seen getting delivered is aeros.

3/31/16 res
6/26/18 config as soon as my account reflected AWD available
7/23/18 white interior change

Blue on White AWD
19" Sport Wheels
EAP

Crickets

Its been 3 days now since initial email from ISA. No reply or confirmation of the delivery date, or VIN (although I did it that by calling the customer service numbers). Is this normal? :( Also, all the delivery dates that ISA offered is more than a month out, 30 days +. Does transit really take that long?

Finally, anyone from Massachusetts if you can help shine a light on this. The EV credit is running out, I think there’s line $200,000 left in the fund at the moment. Is there more funding on the way for the program? I’ve seen somewhere that these is a 20 million dollar total commitment to the program and it seems only 18 million that been distribute. Thanks!

Its been 3 days now since initial email from ISA. No reply or confirmation of the delivery date, or VIN (although I did it that by calling the customer service numbers). Is this normal? :( Also, all the delivery dates that ISA offered is more than a month out, 30 days +. Does transit really take that long?

Finally, anyone from Massachusetts if you can help shine a light on this. The EV credit is running out, I think there’s line $200,000 left in the fund at the moment. Is there more funding on the way for the program? I’ve seen somewhere that these is a 20 million dollar total commitment to the program and it seems only 18 million that been distribute. Thanks!
The people to talk to, likely, aren't on here. Are you in the Dedham service area? If so, call Dedham. Transit to Dedham from Freemont is a week. If there is nothing wrong with the car, figure 2 days for prep. That assumes ALL the paperwork is complete and contracts drawn up and signed. Apparently, unlike a Chevy, Ford, Toyota dealership where there is about an hour's worth of paperwork while service swaps your plates etc, Tesla is a 15 min in/out process.
IDAs are unbelievably swamped.
After production, it goes to contracts dept...that takes time.
They don't ship until all the paperwork is done.

• Disagree
Reactions: Runt8
I called at the crack of 8am this morning after being told last night that the after-hours folks couldn't help me. The guy last night said that he could see my order, but could tell me exactly nothing about it.

So... after 24 minutes on hold, a nice advisor first had my name spelled incorrectly (?) and then asked if I could hold. Clearly something was wonky. And sure enough, she says there's a problem. My order is complete, and there's nothing more that the need from me. All boxes checked. And yet for the life her her she can't figure out why my order is not moving forward. She's aware that my edit button went away as soon as I confirmed my order over five weeks ago. She said at that point I should have been assigned to sales, and gotten a VIN, etc. But of course none of that has happened. So now she'll hand me off to sales because apparently only THEY have all the order info to see.

Now it is official: I have been stagnant for five weeks in the process for unknown reasons. They're supposed to call me back within 24 hours.

Last edited:
Going by what I concatenated off that other M3 forum, that fund gets replenished randomly until exhausted.
Payout time is around 70 days.
If you’re in the queue now you should be ok I think. Thanks to Tesla’s new invoicing system every model 3 is now eligible for full 2500$.

Now back to AWD waiting we go :)

I called at the crack of 8am this morning after being told last night that the after-hours folks couldn't help me. The guy last night said that he could see my order, but could tell me exactly nothing about it.

So... after 24 minutes on hold, a nice advisor first had my name spelled incorrectly (?) and then asked if I could hold. Clearly something was wonky. And sure enough, she says that my order is completely. That I've done everything I could possibly do. All boxes checked. And for the life her her she can't figure out why my order is not moving forward. She's aware that my edit button went away as soon as I confirmed my order over five weeks ago. She said at that point I should have been assigned to sales, and gotten a VIN, etc. But of course none of that has happened. So now she'll hand me off to sales because apparently only THEY have all the order info to see.

Now it is official: I have been stagnant in the process for unknown reasons. They're supposed to call me back within 24 hours.
I think it will be resolved and move forward quickly for you now. Last week I had several conversations with Sales and found them to be very responsive and supportive. I have a similar config to yours, and expect delivery next Monday. Good Luck!

Its been 3 days now since initial email from ISA. No reply or confirmation of the delivery date, or VIN (although I did it that by calling the customer service numbers). Is this normal? :( Also, all the delivery dates that ISA offered is more than a month out, 30 days +. Does transit really take that long?...

Yes, same as my experience.

I got a call from my DA on July 23rd to confirm my order. She promised a confirmation email and suggested my VIN would be issued "soon, in the next 10 days or so". Nothing since then. The VINs are issued by Fremont it seems - DAs just look at list like the rest of us. Fremont seems to be applying various ad hoc assignments. yes, sometimes it's what's produced at the plant, but this should be a result of instructions provided by Sales. Which states get which configurations does not seem primarily reservation date- or config- based. It appears like someone somewhere is making decisions like "Hey everyone! Start moving AWDs to New Jersey! No more VIN assignments to Canada!" Not sure of the logic.

When I emailed her this week for an update, she said "just check your order page for when the VIN will be issued".