Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, I received that promised call back in short order. From Las Vegas area. It was an unsatisfying "customer service" experiences (except for the fact that the promised call came quickly).

I am not at all convinced that the "corporate sales" guy who called me back to clear things up had any more knowledge than I did. In fact, it is pretty clear that he had much less.

1. After the initial CS person made clear to me that something was amiss with my order, this guy said that my order was fine and perfectly on track, and that it always takes at 6-8 weeks from order to having VIN assigned. (For those who are keeping score at home, I'm at seven weeks and two days, so right there in the pocket of "don't worry about it"). Yet... how does this account for the many owners who have already taken delivery of their identically-configured cars... and who ordered after I did?).

2. He went on and on with his demonstration of inside knowledge (telling me that the cars are painted in batches, and even the wheel type is batched, that delivery location plays into it etc... all stuff I'm aware of). He spent zero time answering any of my (few and concise, and pleasantly asked) questions. Did I mention that he went on and on with info that I wasn't asking for? He did. And on. Seemed to have nothing else to do with his time, and also made it seem that I was calling to hear about how Tesla batches the cars.

3. After standing in line to reserve, then configuring and confirming my cash purchase of AWD as soon as possible (and I might add without Tesla every notifying me that AWD was available for me to order) my main question was: How is it that cars configured to my exact specification have already been delivered to people who live in my town... and to many others who live on the other side of the country? In many cases, they reserved AND ordered after I did. These folks weren't just assigned a VIN (though now it seems that many, many more have also been assigned a VIN who have ordered after me), these cars have been actually delivered. In response, he repeated item #2 above. And here's the whopper: He went on to say that probably some of those new owners had ordered the "basic configuration" of the car, and that those "basic configurations" were shipping before the ones with all the options.

At that point it was clearly just a waste of my time to explain that the only more basic configuration that is currently available for my car would be black paint instead of blue, and no EAP. Unless he meant RWD? Nah... he actually mentioned interior choice and battery size. He kept talking about all the "options" and I was half expecting him to say that the automatic transmission took longer to make than the manual trans. Of course we're talking about AWD cars with the SAME configuration as mine. And AWD is a different order than RWD. So I held my tongue. He went on to impress upon me that my car is being built just for me, to my exact specifications, so this isn't like choosing a car off the lot the way we used to do it. I had no indication that was was familiar with what a Model 3 even was. He kept referring to "Teslas" as a generic car.

He then cautioned me against changing anything in my order (after having told him that I haven't been allowed to change anything in six weeks!). He said if I changed anything, I would go clear back to the "end of the line."

In the end he said that the *reasons* he knows that everything is fine with my order are:

1. It hasn't been eight weeks yet, so hearing about my order is expected and normal.
2. My delivery window of Sept-Nov hasn't even opened yet, so it would be silly to expect the car before that.

Yeah. So I was cheery and pleasant. Thanked him for making the call, and assuring me that all was fine with my order. Just because I sound all bitchy in this post, please don't assume that I was a butt-head on the call. I wasn't.

But man. 100% unsatisfying. Wouldn't it be great if somebody could tell me "if you just changed to white, and took delivery at Rocklin, we could assign you a VIN right now!" Or I don't know... told me ANYTHING about my order made almost two months ago?

I feel your pain.

giphy.webp

4/3/16 res
6/30/18 config

Haven't heard anything yet; the wait is excruciating! I called Tesla's line and the rep said based on the dates he would expect that I get a call within the next 1-2 weeks (that was on Friday). Given the dates of folks getting their calls above, is that a safe assumption?

Non-P AWD, MSM, PUP, EAP, 19" wheels.

I don't think anything is safe at this point since very few AWD cars appear to have been built or delivered.

4/3/16 res
6/30/18 config

Haven't heard anything yet; the wait is excruciating! I called Tesla's line and the rep said based on the dates he would expect that I get a call within the next 1-2 weeks (that was on Friday). Given the dates of folks getting their calls above, is that a safe assumption?

Non-P AWD, MSM, PUP, EAP, 19" wheels.

1:1 same config, so should be anytime soon for us!

Ow.

I know you do! Have you made the call as well... and been told that everything is just as it should be? And even (in my case) that really, nobody else is taking delivery of these cars who ordered after you did?)

You should quote reply so I get notified of the reply.

I have not called them, I'd probably piss them off and my car would take another month to show up.

I keep telling myself that there will be some small design tweak to cars built in October that will make my inevitable November delivery all the more worthwhile.

You should quote reply so I get notified of the reply.
I know. I failed. Then tried to add it back in, failed at that. Didn't want to start over. Went all lazy and gave up. I'm usually better.

I have not called them, I'd probably piss them off and my car would take another month to show up.
Yeah. That was me until yesterday for sure.

I keep telling myself that there will be some small design tweak to cars built in October that will make my inevitable November delivery all the more worthwhile.
Still me. We should invite others to join the club. Do we insist on blue paint?

If I recall correctly, the only difference in our orders (besides delivery location) is wheels. You're the big spender, I'm the cheapskate.

By the time our cars are built, they'll no longer have any vampire drain, and will include wireless charging mats built in. Or "best in class" panel gaps. Or something!

I don't think anything is safe at this point since very few AWD cars appear to have been built or delivered.
2 things appear to be in a shortage right now. 19" wheels and white interiors.
The only white interiors delivered so far appear to be performance models. And almost every recent Vin for AWD cars have had aero wheels.
I think the 19s are in severe short supply, and white interior is somewhat supply constrained.

From Troys spreadsheet today: Just 5 AWD/19" cars have vins assigned, out of 298 entries. None have been delivered. Zero white interior AWD with 19s have VINs

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Big Earl
Finally got my ISA contact! Filled out my credit app this morning and hoping to hear back later today...
Anyone have any idea on how long they take to turn around the Tesla loan app? Just doing that for convenience. Can refi later on if I want.

Res: 4/1/2016 (11am PST online)
Config 6/30/2018 - Haven't changed since
ISA contact: 8/13/2018
Vin: Have one, but don't know it yet
Delivery: pending loan app!!!
Delivery location: Marina Del Rey, CA

LRD, MSM, 19", Black PUP, EAP

Are you a previous Tesla owner?

I know. I failed. Then tried to add it back in, failed at that. Didn't want to start over. Went all lazy and gave up. I'm usually better.

Yeah. That was me until yesterday for sure.

Still me. We should invite others to join the club. Do we insist on blue paint?

If I recall correctly, the only difference in our orders (besides delivery location) is wheels. You're the big spender, I'm the cheapskate.

By the time our cars are built, they'll no longer have any vampire drain, and will include wireless charging mats built in. Or "best in class" panel gaps. Or something!

My car is Blue AWD with EAP and the 18" aeros as I will turn those into my winter tire/wheel set eventually and have different wheels for summer use.

At that point it was clearly just a waste of my time to explain that the only more basic configuration that is currently available for my car would be black paint instead of blue, and no EAP. Unless he meant RWD? Nah... he actually mentioned interior choice and battery size. He kept talking about all the "options" and I was half expecting him to say that the automatic transmission took longer to make than the manual trans. Of course we're talking about AWD cars with the SAME configuration as mine. And AWD is a different order than RWD. So I held my tongue. He went on to impress upon me that my car is being built just for me, to my exact specifications, so this isn't like choosing a car off the lot the way we used to do it. I had no indication that was was familiar with what a Model 3 even was. He kept referring to "Teslas" as a generic car.

FWIW Tesla seems to employ a lot of folks who know nothing about their vehicles or their production... I got to test drive a P3D today- when I mentioned I had an order in for a regular AWD with no VIN yet he told me they were only building RWD and P now and wouldn't "start" building regular AWD until next year so I should change my order to one of those if I want the full tax credit.

New to the forum so I thought I'd add mine:

Not a previous Tesla owner (have a Volt), non-reservation
Configured/ordered online 7/14/18 (Midnight Silver, AWD (non-P), 19", EAP, FSD)
Cash payment, trade-in selected although I may use Carvana
Originally showed Sept-Nov '18 delivery
Changed to blue w/ white interior on Aug 6, which pushed delivery estimate to Oct-Dec '18

No updates, edit button still available, probably won't hear anything for at least another month...

• Informative
Reactions: Gouldness
After much last minute excitement, I picked up my Red AWD/White Interior Model 3 this morning.

Reserved: 3/31/16 (Line Waiter)
Ordered: 8/2/18 (Right after the price increase :eek:)
Delivery contact & scheduled: 8/8/18

During the entire week after 8/2, I would obsessively check my Tesla account and fill in the info that became available to fill out. Didn't expect to have the car within 2 weeks of making up my mind (could've had it last Sunday, but scheduling didn't work out)

Car feels amazing and is faster than everything I've owned before now. Can't wait for AutoPilot to get enabled either today or tomorrow.

VIN is 56xxx

Reactions: BobCio and abasile
After much last minute excitement, I picked up my Red AWD/White Interior Model 3 this morning.

Reserved: 3/31/16 (Line Waiter)
Ordered: 8/2/18 (Right after the price increase :eek:)
Delivery contact & scheduled: 8/8/18

During the entire week after 8/2, I would obsessively check my Tesla account and fill in the info that became available to fill out. Didn't expect to have the car within 2 weeks of making up my mind (could've had it last Sunday, but scheduling didn't work out)

Car feels amazing and is faster than everything I've owned before now. Can't wait for AutoPilot to get enabled either today or tomorrow.

VIN is 56xxx
You are the first AWD/white I have seen! Congrats. Did you get Aeros or 19s?