Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That begs the next question. What level of software did the car have. My understanding, and there is a tad bit of confusion on this, is Tesla will roll out the beginning salvos of FSD in release 8 (or was it 9), due this fall. So did your M3 have 7, 8, or 9 out of the gate? Assuming you still have your S, what level is it at?

I've been following this *very* carefully because I'm really curious about what they do with FSD. FSD will come with release 9. So will the Atari games, and what seems like a major, major EAP update (onramp to offramp driving). It was right around or on August 1st that Tesla said that they expect to start rolling out release 9, so if all stays on track that should be sometime next week.

I think the strategy for FSD is really interesting. Since it may be significantly longer than they had hoped before it shows up, it looks like they are going to find some features to classify as it and give you those. This should help satisfy those who spent the money on it, helping to deflect any lawsuits that may arise from them selling something that otherwise could do nothing. I personally would have thought they would have done Summon under EAP, but alas.

I'm *very* interested in this update and am watching for it a lot as it will probably influence my own purchase of FSD based on what it does. The more it does, the more I'll believe it does.

Am I the only one who didn't reserve in 2016? T_T

4/29/17 here...

What are you doing in the Model 3 forum. You should be buying a Model X!

Ha! I actually spoke with one of the people that own the DeLorean company and asked what they thought of the X doors, and they said they loved it.

While I very much dig the DeLorean's gullwing doors, my favorite thing about it was the tiny size of the car. I don't like how big vehicles handle, so the 3 is very much my style while the X is very much not. If you've never seen a DeLorean in real life, they are less than four feet tall, and about a FOOT shorter than a Model 3. Crazy. Sitting in one feels like putting a fishbowl around your head...

But, for me, I like a good small car with a great story. Turns out the Model 3 checks those same boxes, and will fit the kids, and be a heck of a lot faster!!

Reservation: August 2016
Configuration: Late July when they opened it up to nearly everyone, changed to white interior when it became available in July
Silver, LR, AWD, White Interior, EAP, FSD
VIN: 961xx
Was told I should be able to pick it up next week. My delivery date was saying Sept-Nov, so this is a bit earlier than I expected.
I am in LA.

Reactions: tich
Just a random thought.
I just went from refreshing 20 times a day and reading every post daily to checking this thread once or twice every day.
Now I’m lurking more on other pages like interior $ exterior.

Reason being, I got assigned a VIN last week and have a tentative delivery date of sep 7th. White, AWD, white interior. 4/1/16 reservation. Original estimate delivery sep-nov.

I was getting frustrated reading about people getting dates who ordered after me and got slightly annoyed sometimes at tesla for lack of transparency. But the fact is, There’s a tend that majority of people are getting calls early or right around the time mentioned in the esitimstes. We haven’t seen much, if any, deliveries delayed beyond the original estimates. But yet there I was, getting frustrated for not having a vin before my time even started. I guess we all really love and want thing product and can’t wait. But it’s coming!

Reservation: August 2016
Configuration: Late July when they opened it up to nearly everyone, changed to white interior when it became available in July
Silver, LR, AWD, White Interior, EAP, FSD
VIN: 961xx
Was told I should be able to pick it up next week. My delivery date was saying Sept-Nov, so this is a bit earlier than I expected.
I am in LA.
Dang, exact same config as you and I reserved 4/1/16 and ordered 6/27 and also in LA. Just changed to white seats today so hopefully that means I'm comin up!

Which wheels did you get?

Might as well add mine…

Model S owner -- relatively early VIN (P111XX), delivered June 4, 2013
Reserved 3/31/16 (in-store, early afternoon AZ time)
Invite received in Jan (although the web site worked for 2+ weeks before the email…) -- deferred for AWD
Ordered 7/30/18
Voicemail left yesterday + email. Responded today and spoke to the ISA/IDA - 8/14/18
VIN 656XX D/EAP/19/MCR/B
Estimated arrival at local store/service center on 8/25/18
Delivery not yet confirmed, but earliest is 8/26 or the following week.

Web site still shows Oct-Dec delivery. They will beat that by over a month… This is also faster order to delivery than my Model S back in '13, which was right about 2 months...

The Model 3 is supposed to be arrive at my local store/service center today, and I was planning on picking it up tomorrow. But I haven't heard from the ISA since Tuesday, when he left a voicemail with an update on a trade in question I had. I responded by email to that voicemail stating I decided not to trade my S. I also asked for a status update on scheduling delivery, with a follow-up sent on Wednesday. I do not have a pay button on MyTesla yet. I have a feeling I'm not taking delivery tomorrow.

I honestly don't mind if its delayed a few days -- but please at least give me the courtesy of an update so I can arrange my schedule next week...

I've been following this *very* carefully because I'm really curious about what they do with FSD. FSD will come with release 9. So will the Atari games, and what seems like a major, major EAP update (onramp to offramp driving). It was right around or on August 1st that Tesla said that they expect to start rolling out release 9, so if all stays on track that should be sometime next week.

I think the strategy for FSD is really interesting. Since it may be significantly longer than they had hoped before it shows up, it looks like they are going to find some features to classify as it and give you those. This should help satisfy those who spent the money on it, helping to deflect any lawsuits that may arise from them selling something that otherwise could do nothing. I personally would have thought they would have done Summon under EAP, but alas.

I'm *very* interested in this update and am watching for it a lot as it will probably influence my own purchase of FSD based on what it does. The more it does, the more I'll believe it does.
Here's the thing, I did read where Telsa has a plan B for FSD. According to Ben Sulllins (teslanomics.co) FSD is 10 yrs out. To that I say Nonsense! level 6 may well be 10 years out but level 4, I'd guess is 1. Flying cars is orders of magnitude more difficult than level 6 and flying car nuts say they are already available save some conspiracy... BTW flying cars is level 6 but in 3 dimensions. Level 4 is largely driving 2 dimensions via gps plus not hitting stuff. Level 6 is driving without gps and not hitting stuff. Maybe like an iRobot but at 65mph and not hitting stuff. I did preorder FSD. I'm retired now, my horizon is different than someone w/ a 3 yr old. I want to be driven to a shopping mall (think Tysons), let off at the curb by front entrance, the car goes and parks itself, ideally back of the mall and comes to get me when I am ready and, with no commands to the contrary, knows to drive me home. I call it future-proofing mobility!

8/24/18 I requested and was given the VIN for loan processing.
Tony, would you elaborate? I am in precisely the same position My loan commitment expires on Wednesday w/o MVPA (VIN). Was there pushback? My reservation was 9/3/17 and config 6/28. From Tesla's own guidance I'll take delivery in Oct, meaning I should be getting a vin and MVPA most any time now anyway.

Here's the thing, I did read where Telsa has a plan B for FSD. According to Ben Sulllins (teslanomics.co) FSD is 10 yrs out. To that I say Nonsense! level 6 may well be 10 years out but level 4, I'd guess is 1. Flying cars is orders of magnitude more difficult than level 6 and flying car nuts say they are already available save some conspiracy... BTW flying cars is level 6 but in 3 dimensions. Level 4 is largely driving 2 dimensions via gps plus not hitting stuff. Level 6 is driving without gps and not hitting stuff. Maybe like an iRobot but at 65mph and not hitting stuff. I did preorder FSD. I'm retired now, my horizon is different than someone w/ a 3 yr old. I want to be driven to a shopping mall (think Tysons), let off at the curb by front entrance, the car goes and parks itself, ideally back of the mall and comes to get me when I am ready and, with no commands to the contrary, knows to drive me home. I call it future-proofing mobility!
What’s level 6?

Reactions: jkirkwood001
Received email yesterday evening to submit financing and send trade-in pics. White, AWD, white interior, EAP, Aeros. 1/27/18 reservation. Original estimate delivery Oct-Dec, now Sep-Nov. Fairfax, VA.

Fudge that crap. You had white interior so you essentially jumped everyone in Tysons. Annoys the heck out of me but mad at Tesla, not you. Enjoy the wheels.

Fudge that crap. You had white interior so you essentially jumped everyone in Tysons. Annoys the heck out of me but mad at Tesla, not you. Enjoy the wheels.
I completely get your frustration, but I am trying to look at it differently. I think Tesla is building the cars in runs based on Tesla's selected configuration. Tesla is then prioritizing the deliveries within the configurations. Because you configured for LR, your configuration is being made before all of the people ahead of you who want SR. Others who ordered after you may get their cars first because Tesla makes their configuration first.

I am trying to patiently wait for Tesla to make Pearl White, black interior, AWD, 19" wheel cars. When that configuration is run, I presume I will be near the front of the line as a pre-reveal reservation holder.

What frustrates me is that even after making all Performance models first, it seems there potentially could be 28 different configurations (7 colors x 2 interior options x 2 wheel options). If Tesla really does manufacture by configuration to that level of specificity, it could take 20+ configuration runs before getting to my specific configuration. And if they run 1,000+ cars per configuration (which would make sense), it may take months before I get my car, putting me at the end of the Sept. - Nov. estimate. While I hope that isn't the case, it is better than waiting until next year like all of the reservation holders waiting to configure SR.