Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m not encouraging this, but I wonder if the best way to get an AWD car fast would be to change your design every 8-12 hrs until you find the style that was just built and available to ship to your location? I assume the url would stop working at that point. If I was Tesla, I would lock that page down, so they can forecast the assembly line better and deliver more based on reservation date. Then, the next time they use a reservation system we can have faith that our place in line matters. You can’t change what color iPhone you want after you place the order.

What strikes me as interesting...predictable but interesting, we had a huge bubble of day 1 and 2 reservations. Just recently they seemed to be filled, or largely so. This forum feels like a ghost town now.
No, I am a day 1 line waiter. No Vin. My friend has day one (online) reservation. No Vin. Again, we both have white interior and 19's

I’m not encouraging this, but I wonder if the best way to get an AWD car fast would be to change your design every 8-12 hrs until you find the style that was just built and available to ship to your location? I assume the url would stop working at that point. If I was Tesla, I would lock that page down, so they can forecast the assembly line better and deliver more based on reservation date. Then, the next time they use a reservation system we can have faith that our place in line matters. You can’t change what color iPhone you want after you place the order.
Um, no...that's just gaming the system. People should order the car they want and wait for the phone call and/or email. You're arguing Monte Carlo effect is a thing...it's not.

What strikes me as interesting...predictable but interesting, we had a huge bubble of day 1 and 2 reservations. Just recently they seemed to be filled, or largely so. This forum feels like a ghost town now.

Still waiting... Reserved day 1 in store, configured and confirmed 6-26-18. Complete silence ever since.

Model 3 Long Range Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive
Red Multi-Coat Paint
18’’ Aero Wheels
Premium Interior
Premium Black

Still waiting... Reserved day 1 in store, configured and confirmed 6-26-18. Complete silence ever since.

Model 3 Long Range Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive
Red Multi-Coat Paint
18’’ Aero Wheels
Premium Interior
Premium Black
I didn't mean to suggest there was nobody left waiting, merely it seems to have gone very quiet now a rash of orders have been filled or promised by a date certain.
How many panels do you have to generate 30kwh? Im toying with putting up a pedestal mounted, hey maybe even 2 axis. It's not clear how many panels I'd need to make a dent.

I didn't mean to suggest there was nobody left waiting, merely it seems to have gone very quiet now a rash of orders have been filled or promised by a date certain.
How many panels do you have to generate 30kwh? Im toying with putting up a pedestal mounted, hey maybe even 2 axis. It's not clear how many panels I'd need to make a dent.

Right now I am using 15 285watt panels. 6 Model S battery modules (85kwh type). They are running at 24volts (all modules in parallel). This setup usually fully charges the modules on a mostly sunny day, even when drawn down to my minimum volts of 20.0 volts. I charge to a max of 24.5 volts. This setup is good enough to cover my daily charging needs with my Model S. But I am thinking about making some tweaks to improve the efficiency of the system. I want to switch to a 48 volt inverter that will output 240 volts. That should improve the car's charging efficiency and allow me to use fewer charge controllers.

Note: I did this system for fun, not because it "saves money", it doesn't. Grid tied setup without batteries would have been cheaper.

Um, no...that's just gaming the system. People should order the car they want and wait for the phone call and/or email. You're arguing Monte Carlo effect is a thing...it's not.
I agree, people shouldn’t do this, but because Tesla isn’t following the standard of first come first serve it likely would be effective. Maybe not super orderly, or some might argue the ethics, but it might get you a car sooner, or maybe not ;)

I have yet to hear a good reason for even a day 2 Reservation holder to have an AWD, non-P car yet, unless they are an employee or a owner of an S or X. There are still plenty of day 1’s across the country for every config.

4/1 reservation and 6/27 config here (current owner, AWD MSM/Black Aero EAP) and nothing. Edit link is still there, no call, no emails except for a constant stream of Tesla teasing me, calling from 510 numbers trying to upsell me to a P (or S or X). Judging from the AWD Waitlist google sheet though, it does appear that many (most?) orders around the same time are getting fulfilled, which makes Tesla's total silence much more frustrating.

Last edited:

What url do you use to see what is being built?

Note: I did this system for fun, not because it "saves money", it doesn't. Grid tied setup without batteries would have been cheaper.
Frankly, that haunts me a little. I've just anecdotally heard of people scouffing about those that spend $20,000->$30,000 in order to save $40/month off their electric bill. If somewhere around 40 +/- yrs old we parked ourselves someplace with enough of a southern exposure, I'd want enough of a farm to completely go off grid. Granted Tesla wall batteries weren't around then but they are now. I wouldn't go off grid completely but to invert the system, use the grid for backup power. That would be good. I think at 67 it would be foolish. Having said that, I remember electric bills of $70/month. In CT now it's closer to $200/month. That's with Geothermal heating/cooling and a Prius Plugin. I'm curious what the M3 will do to that. On the plus side, I don't do a lot of driving as I did when I was working (500 miles/wk). Given that, the argument is why do a Tesla at all? Future-proofing mobility. My mother-in-law surrendered her car keys mid 70s. My sister took our dad's keys away either late 70s or early 80s. In 2 1/2 yrs the car will be paid for. Doing date night with a voice command on where to take us...priceless.
I believe the future of the electric grid is everyone...virtually everyone, will have panels on their roofs and the density will be enough to run a modest home/apt. The grid will be tying together the individual homes such that the grid will be fully redundant.

I agree, people shouldn’t do this, but because Tesla isn’t following the standard of first come first serve it likely would be effective. Maybe not super orderly, or some might argue the ethics, but it might get you a car sooner, or maybe not ;)

I have yet to hear a good reason for even a day 2 Reservation holder to have an AWD, non-P car yet, unless they are an employee or a owner of an S or X. There are still plenty of day 1’s across the country for every config.
I have to believe Tesla is tracking that stuff and, at some point, every change puts one to the back of the line. Eventually, the back of the line will be really close to the front of the line and I believe that day is about 6 weeks away.

What url do you use to see what is being built?
There isn’t a url for that which anyone knows of. You must guess on your “edit-design/RNxxxxxxxxx” page and hope for luck ;) of course you could actually get that design, so be ready to pay for it and have it as your car. For the record, I have never edited my own design since configuration, but since I don’t fully care about wheel choice or exact color, it’s tempting to try.

I have to believe Tesla is tracking that stuff and, at some point, every change puts one to the back of the line. Eventually, the back of the line will be really close to the front of the line and I believe that day is about 6 weeks away.
I estimate closer to 10 weeks for AWD non-P, but then they could just open it to Canada and even start shipping to Europe, or start making SR, but only with the expensive options, or add white interior to the RWD options. Lots of ways to skin this cat.

I lost the link to the speadsheet can someone remove me? I am no Longer waiting for an AWD tesla. I figure I'd never get it if they are still delivering to first day reservation holders, 2 months have past since ordering and I still had the edit button. I'm a 2017 reservation so another year and 1/2 down the queue! A November deliver does not seem reasonable or possible.

I lost the link to the speadsheet can someone remove me? I am no Longer waiting for an AWD tesla. I figure I'd never get it if they are still delivering to first day reservation holders. I'm another year n 1/2 down the queue! A November deliver does not seem reasonable or possible.
You should probably be okay for now.

If they start producing the standard range versions before you get a match, I would start worrying.