Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I estimate closer to 10 weeks for AWD non-P, but then they could just open it to Canada and even start shipping to Europe, or start making SR, but only with the expensive options, or add white interior to the RWD options. Lots of ways to skin this cat.

They are clearly prioritizing the P cars and filling very few AWD cars. It appears plenty of 3/31 and 4/1 reservation holders still waiting.

I do believe once production stabilized and they get through the backlog the LR and SR AWD/DM cars will be the sweet spot and make up the overwhelming majority of orders.

Right now Tesla is prioritizing P since it is their highest margin vehicle.

Reactions: TechSavvyWife
They are clearly prioritizing the P cars and filling very few AWD cars. It appears plenty of 3/31 and 4/1 reservation holders still waiting.

I do believe once production stabilized and they get through the backlog the LR and SR AWD/DM cars will be the sweet spot and make up the overwhelming majority of orders.

I think you are right. Also, it seems only a subset of the potential configurations have been produced. I may be misreading the spreadsheets and I have not read every post, but I have yet to see a non-P, AWD, Pearl White, black interior, 19" wheel car delivered to anyone. I hope I'm in the first batch of those that they make....whenever that eventually happens.

And it represents what, 10% or less of AWD orders? That was clear from @jkirkwood001 charts. I believe many of those getting vins and delivery dates were non-P.

You can’t say P is priority. In the last week they have assigned 3X the amount of AWD to Performance based on people providing updates to the Troy order tracker.

At this point we can’t really say what Tesla is doing

Reactions: Ron Kerensky

If that were true they'd exhaust PAWD orders in a couple of days if not one.
I suspect supply chain issues.

You can’t say P is priority. In the last week they have assigned 3X the amount of AWD to Performance based on people providing updates to the Troy order tracker.

At this point we can’t really say what Tesla is doing
I do not think it is unfair to conclude that Tesla has prioritized P manufacturing. It seems to me that many people who ordered only recently (long after 4/1/16) are getting VINs for P3D. The logical conclusion is that Tesla made more P3Ds than it had early reservations for P3D cars. Now it seems that Tesla has recently done a run of white interior non-P cars. I believe I have seen 2017 reservation holders reporting that they are getting VINs for white interior.

"Prioritizing" may be the wrong word, but it seems Tesla has made enough performance cars to cover the early reservation holders, and now seems to have made enough white interior cars to cover the early reservation holders. The same does not seem to be true for standard AWD with black interiors. Call it what you will.

Reactions: TechSavvyWife
I called and spoke to 2 reps. Both said the fact that I am a day 1 morning line waiter is irrelevant; once they opened up ordering for and for everyone, it was just a matter of when the order was placed. So for example, he said that if I ordered last week, and someone without a $1000 deposit ordered the week before, the person ordering the week before would be ahead of me in the queue -- assuming same car and delivery center. Somewhat discouraging since they had my deposit for years and that made no difference.

I called and spoke to 2 reps. Both said the fact that I am a day 1 morning line waiter is irrelevant; once they opened up ordering for and for everyone, it was just a matter of when the order was placed. So for example, he said that if I ordered last week, and someone without a $1000 deposit ordered the week before, the person ordering the week before would be ahead of me in the queue -- assuming same car and delivery center. Somewhat discouraging since they had my deposit for years and that made no difference.

Mainly it's discouraging the idiot phone reps don't know their own companies publicly stated policy of giving priority to reservation holders. Something repeatedly confirmed by Tesla even after they opened ordering for everyone.

Reactions: Ron Kerensky
I do not think it is unfair to conclude that Tesla has prioritized P manufacturing. It seems to me that many people who ordered only recently (long after 4/1/16) are getting VINs for P3D. The logical conclusion is that Tesla made more P3Ds than it had early reservations for P3D cars. Now it seems that Tesla has recently done a run of white interior non-P cars. I believe I have seen 2017 reservation holders reporting that they are getting VINs for white interior.

"Prioritizing" may be the wrong word, but it seems Tesla has made enough performance cars to cover the early reservation holders, and now seems to have made enough white interior cars to cover the early reservation holders. The same does not seem to be true for standard AWD with black interiors. Call it what you will.
However, there are two inescapable facts. PAWD is a very small portion of the AWD backlog being produced now and over the last week or so far more std AWDs were produced. Everything else, including motivations is conjecture.

• Funny
Reactions: Patrick0101
However, there are two inescapable facts. PAWD is a very small portion of the AWD backlog being produced now and over the last week or so far more std AWDs were produced. Everything else, including motivations is conjecture.
Well, "very small" is not really a factual assessment, and I make no guesses as to Tesla's motives. I am merely commenting on my perception of reservation holders reporting vins. And while there may only be a smaller percentage of P3Ds being produced week over week, you can count me out of the list of faithful who believe those who never reserved and ordered June 28 or later will see their AWD cars delivered this year. For all the talk of Tesla making 5-6k per week, I do not see evidence that Tesla is delivering cars at that rate.I do not think it is safe to assume 5-6k deliveries per week, and I do not think we can safely assume that there are only 50,000 AWD reservations for Tesla to get through.

I also think Tesla may (and should) start delivering AWD cars to Canada (and perhaps elsewhere) as soon as it works its way through the US early reservation holders. These foreign reservation holders should have priority over 2018 reservation holders and non-reservation holders who recently purchased. Anyone who waited until 2018 to reserve should have no expectation of a full $7,500 tax credit. Just my opinion.

Reactions: jkirkwood001
I just stopped by the Bellevue 20th service center to check what the status is of my delivery. I was rescheduled from Friday 8/24 to Monday 8/27 and he said it was being detailed and should arrive later tonight or early tomorrow morning.

Barring "firmware update" issues, maybe I'll get to inspect the car tomorrow...

Reactions: Myrddin