Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just found out I have a VIN assigned. VIN 772XX.
AWD, MSM, PUP, EAP, 18" Aero. 4/6/16 Reservation, 6/27/18 Config
I'm in Massachusetts
Is 772XX a high VIN at this point?
That's so funny. My co-worker from Massachusetts ordered this config and just two days ago (after the email saying delivery was soon) changed to a red. This was definitely their car, go rock it like a hurricane! :)

I tried to change to White interior yesterday. Was told by sales rep that I would also need to incur an additional $1700 additional costs for AWD and color price increase + destination charge. Same change for you?

He is wrong unless you already have your vin maybe? You can edit your config and see for yourself, tesla has updated the site so you get your $1000 AWD discount and Paint Discount. Note that the destination charge may still show $1200, but once I changed my config the Purchase Agreement they sent me shows $1000. YMMV on that one. If you edit your config it takes you through the wizard and none of the changes persist unless you select update my order at the end.

Also not that when I updated my order to P model I called a rep, and they told me I would only get free data for the first year, and unlimited supercharging for the first year. I think some reps just don't know what they are talking about...

My Paint stayed $1500 for white and AWD still showed 53k when I edited my order on Saturday.

Reactions: Lpleiss
I received mine yesterday in Santa Barbara, I had a fine experience. I spent 1 hour examining the car and found only one defect. On the leading edge of the frunk lid almost on the inside there was a 1x4 mm chip in the paint to metal. It probably came from the detailing prior to delivery but just guessing. Anyway they promised to fix it and the whole delivery process was fine. They indicated they delivered 24 cars that day.! Impressive!!

What was your color / config? I'm supposed to take delivery in Santa Barbara any day now - the IDA wanted to schedule for this past Saturday, but the loan wasn't done and had to delay.

I just called for a status update. No VIN. Basically no info. Rep said he could see I was "75% into the process of my order," and I clarified with him that has nothing whatsoever to do with VIN assignment or build status, it just refers to the paperwork steps I have completed. Yeah, I already knew that. (Though actually that's not even accurate. There are 4 steps -- registration, payment method, driver's license, insurance -- and I've completed all 4 since I'm paying cash. So no idea where 75% comes from.) Uggh. I know I'm a relatively late reservation holder compared to most here. But still, uggh. This process is pants.

He said once I have a VIN and a delivery advisor is assigned, they'll give me a much more accurate estimate, walk me through the process every step, and become my best friend. (That's not how I would describe many of the accounts on here.)

He also said he's seen two people who had my same status on Thursday or Friday last week who subsequently got their VINs, so it can happen any time. (Um, it's a rolling process, so, yeah.) That seems very strange to me. Why would this guy be tracking VIN assignment status of random customer inquiries he received days ago? It's not like he will be following up with the customer, or that the customer could ever reach him specifically again. Nice guy, but I think it's human nature (for some humans) to be encouraging, and these reps basically make up their own talking points and go with it.

not a prior owner
reserved: 8/4/17
ordered: 6/30/18
delivery estimate: Sept-Nov
silver metallic
AWD
black interior
Aeros
current status = nada (no VIN yet, no one assigned from the genius bar yet, will paying cash but still can use URL to get to edit design page)

I see people with delivery dates scheduled into late September at this point, which is 1/3 of the way through my estimated delivery window. So, come on Tesla, WTF.

Last edited:
and I clarified with him that has nothing whatsoever to do with VIN assignment
I believe that stmt is absolutely incorrect. Let's see, you told a Tesla rep he was wrong and you, the customer, was correct. um, I don't think so. You and I are to be in the same production run. They are doing Just-in-Time manufacturing and the required subparts/assemblies are ordered and 75% are in. No, efficient production line warehouses parts. I suspect our cars will be built on precisely the same day.

I believe that stmt is absolutely incorrect. Let's see, you told a Tesla rep he was wrong and you, the customer, was correct. um, I don't think so. You and I are to be in the same production run. They are doing Just-in-Time manufacturing and the required subparts/assemblies are ordered and 75% are in. No, efficient production line warehouses parts. I suspect our cars will be built on precisely the same day.

Perhaps I wasn't clear. I asked him to clarify. I asked him does "75%" refer just to my steps, or does it have something to do with the actual production status, and he said it referred to my order paperwork steps only.

Did someone at Tesla tell you that "75%" refers to parts and assemblies, or are you pulling that out of thin air?

Otherwise, sorry to disappoint, but there's no indication my car (or your car if you received the same status) is 75% of the way through production.

Oh and your post is a bit snippy. Cheers.

Perhaps I wasn't clear. I asked him to clarify. I asked him does "75%" refer just to my steps, or does it have something to do with the actual production status, and he said it referred to my order paperwork steps only.

Did someone at Tesla tell you that "75%" refers to parts and assemblies, or are you pulling that out of thin air?

Otherwise, sorry to disappoint, but there's no indication my car (or your car if you received the same status) is 75% of the way through production.

Oh and your post is a bit snippy. Cheers.
Let me see if I can explain this without snark. "It means it is in production" <- that's Tesla talking not me. The assembly line is part of production, yes, but production does not mean the assembly line. I see you recognize your attitude in others...or, you have a projection problem. Putting you on iggy list now.

I just called for a status update. No VIN. Basically no info. Rep said he could see I was "75% into the process of my order," and I clarified with him that has nothing whatsoever to do with VIN assignment or build status, it just refers to the paperwork steps I have completed. Yeah, I already knew that. (Though actually that's not even accurate. There are 4 steps -- registration, payment method, driver's license, insurance -- and I've completed all 4 since I'm paying cash. So no idea where 75% comes from.) Uggh. I know I'm a relatively late reservation holder compared to most here. But still, uggh. This process is pants.

He said once I have a VIN and a delivery advisor is assigned, they'll give me a much more accurate estimate, walk me through the process every step, and become my best friend. (That's not how I would describe many of the accounts on here.)

He also said he's seen two people who had my same status on Thursday or Friday last week who subsequently got their VINs, so it can happen any time. (Um, it's a rolling process, so, yeah.) That seems very strange to me. Why would this guy be tracking VIN assignment status of random customer inquiries he received days ago? It's not like he will be following up with the customer, or that the customer could ever reach him specifically again. Nice guy, but I think it's human nature (for some humans) to be encouraging, and these reps basically make up their own talking points and go with it.

not a prior owner
reserved: 8/4/17
ordered: 6/30/18
delivery estimate: Sept-Nov
silver metallic
AWD
black interior
Aeros
current status = nada (no VIN yet, no one assigned from the genius bar yet, will paying cash but still can use URL to get to edit design page)

I see people with delivery dates scheduled into late September at this point, which is 1/3 of the way through my estimated delivery window. So, come on Tesla, WTF.

Well, you're behind me in res and config date. If you get your car from Tysons before me I'll be pissy.

Reactions: TechSavvyWife