Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got a surprise call from Tesla saying that my car was damaged in transit to MA and that they need to source a new one (ROAR!!). Red AWD/white interior. Does anyone know how long this "re-sourcing" typically takes or would take? Sad face
Impossible to tell. If one is redirected from, say, Mt Kisco, less than a day. If it's coming from Freemont...a week. That's just in transit. Finding one....anyone's guess. Recall, vins and sales appear to be from Freemonth before put on a carrier. So what you'll likely get is one destined for showroom stock.
This is why it would be best for Tesla to tell customers when their car is ready for pickup, not enroute. However, if your insurance and contracts have to now be changed...yeah, they should let you know there will be new paperwork.

• Disagree
Reactions: Runt8
Impossible to tell. If one is redirected from, say, Mt Kisco, less than a day. If it's coming from Freemont...a week. That's just in transit. Finding one....anyone's guess. Recall, vins and sales appear to be from Freemonth before put on a carrier. So what you'll likely get is one destined for showroom stock.
This is why it would be best for Tesla to tell customers when their car is ready for pickup, not enroute. However, if your insurance and contracts have to now be changed...yeah, they should let you know there will be new paperwork.
Very helpful, thanks!!!!!!!

Tesla doesn’t have showroom stock only a very small fleet of loaners and test mules.

They will have to build him a new car so he is probably looking at another month.

Just received my car (AWD blue/black/Aero) via home delivery. There have been many reports of quality issues, but my car appears to be virtually flawless from what I can tell so far. :) The chrome trim of one of the little quarter rear windows doesn't quite line up with the one on the door, and there is a superficial scuff on the rocker panel below the driver door, but that's all I could find. The interior is flawless, no marks and no loose liner. The car (VIN 64xxx) was built 8/18 according to the door label.

That's good news. We're picking up our VIN 64xxx tomorrow. :cool:

Reactions: tony b
Last edited:
Very helpful, thanks!!!!!!!
I should add, and I understand the state of Texas is different, it's not my car, I have no insurable, interest, I have no financial responsibility for the car they ship me until I accept delivery of it. Consequently, I shouldn't be notified of it's availability until Tesla is ready for me to accept delivery, then paperwork to lienholder is sent and insurance company. I have no reason to know if it fell off the truck. I suspect most ppl are in this same boat.

After several false starts, I took delivery at Costa Mesa yesterday. Aeros, Pearl White, AWD, EAP. Delivery was good, very smooth, the host gave me time to inspect the car and did not object when I wouldn't sign until we'd looked at it for 10-12 minutes, crawled underneath, all the paranoid little things this forum has made me worry about. No issues other than some very minor panel gap stuff that I decided I don't really care about/isn't visible from more than a few feet away. No paint problems, and the host was willing to inspect every little speck on the car to make sure it wasn't a chip.

So, 16 days from the initial delivery date until I actually took delivery. Not ideal, and Tesla did not offer any compensation, even when asked. Nor did they explain in detail what caused the second delay - still just "inspection". I give the delivery process a C-, and the car an A+.

Fun fact: just got off the phone with las Vegas. In the course of the conversation I asked the required question, do I have a VIN? The answer was no, but that the car was 75% complete and 25% remain. I asked what that meant and she said it could be 3 to 5 weeks before I receive a VIN but it could be assigned tomorrow and three to five weeks before I get the car. Does anyone know what 75% complete means?

Just FYI it's Fremont with one e and it's definitely not free.

Fun fact: just got off the phone with las Vegas. In the course of the conversation I asked the required question, do I have a VIN? The answer was no, but that the car was 75% complete and 25% remain. I asked what that meant and she said it could be 3 to 5 weeks before I receive a VIN but it could be assigned tomorrow and three to five weeks before I get the car. Does anyone know what 75% complete means?

It means they have no sport wheels. o_O

What number are you calling to get Vegas? When I call the main sales line the only information I've gotten out of them is that I don't have a VIN. They said they couldn't see anything beyond that.

Mainly it's discouraging the idiot phone reps don't know their own companies publicly stated policy of giving priority to reservation holders. Something repeatedly confirmed by Tesla even after they opened ordering for everyone.
Just called a 3rd time. Same story. She explicitly said that unless I configured and paid for the car within a few days (how many she was uncertain) of the invite to do so, I am at the back of the queue. It's also worth noting that she indicated I was sent and email and received a telephone call to inform me that I was eligible to configure my car. Neither happened. I am 100% certain (checking SPAM filters, etc), and reviewing call logs. It is awful that they held onto my money for over 2 years, to say nothing of the hours I wasted waiting on line, and gave me no priority relative to someone who just went on-line a few weeks ago and configured a car.

Per suggestion from @Oloron starting a separate thread.

SpaceX employee in Seattle, WA, reserved on 3/25/16
Configured on 7/11/18
VIN 546xx on 7/17/18 LR/AWD/EAP/18/White (email also said production complete)

Delivery set for 7/25/18

AWD is getting real! The web page still says Sep-Nov delivery.
Just found out I have a VIN assigned. VIN 772XX.
AWD, MSM, PUP, EAP, 18" Aero. 4/6/16 Reservation, 6/27/18 Config
I'm in Massachusetts
Is 772XX a high VIN at this point?

• Love
Reactions: EnrgyNDpndnce
What number are you calling to get Vegas? When I call the main sales line the only information I've gotten out of them is that I don't have a VIN. They said they couldn't see anything beyond that.
Here's what I think, short of 3 of the 4 wheels are on the chassis. It IS in production. In manufacturing, there is this concept of just in time, you don't order supplies before they're needed. Due to various lead times someone need to be ordered before others. When they get the remaining parts, it'll be built. At 6,000/week that's 850/day Mines about to be built. Yay?