Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...I have a hard time shoveling another $1500 at Tesla for white seats.

tenor.gif

The thing that annoys me is that they're both "premium" interiors. They're just different colors. They don't charge an additional $1500 for the white interior in the S or the X, the premium black and white are the same price. So why are they gouging the customers that probably have less money?? Seems wrong if you ask me (although I paid for the upgrade too lol). Just saying...

I agree with you both. I have always liked the aesthetics of white more than the black/wood but I had a harder time swallowing the price pill than worried about the getting dirty.

But after showing several friends and family pictures and them all saying the white was “stunning” and “striking” to them... my wife gave me the ok and I went for it. 4 days later I had a VIN.

The only way I can really attempt to justify the price to myself is I got in before the raised paint and AWD cost so my car with white is still cheaper than a new order with black.

I think Tesla is not getting as many orders for White as they are producing. (My guess is they make 1000 or so whites a week) and whites are getting filled quicker because of that.

I guess the only benefit of white costing more will be increase resale value and it will be a more rare/scarce color.

@tvisdog I don’t see any data near 40% for day 1 from the two spreadsheets I know of, and which only account for a small % of buyers. @Troy says his data does not show a significant difference between when the reservation was given and if the person has a VIN. I have to believe him since we can’t see that variable. Jkirkwood’s data has a little more lean toward day 1 but has less data points. Most buyers are not on these forums based on numbers so not represented in the sheets. However, if there are even 60% of day 1’s left who want AWD, I estimate that is 7500 units. Seems like little need for even day 2 people to have a VIN yet. If they just put some tracking info into our account pages they could save a lot of money handling calls, but I diverge.

I’m sure this sounds odd to many here, but in Salt Lake City I see the same few M3 owners driving around that I have seen for months. As in maybe 6 separate cars for a metro of 2M people. I’m sure there are many more, but not even close to 100, which still seems really low for a delivery center at this point. Most people here think Tesla is a tiny boutique brand only still. If the goal is EV adoption, flooding Cali isn’t what they need to do. That is just preaching to the choir IMHO.

I got the 40% number from the AWD / P-AWD Thread Waitlist spreadsheet. Here's what it looks like:
cg1jfGe.png

I'm not a statistician and you're right that the sample in these sheets is biased, but 39.1% vs 9.7% seems pretty significant to me.

Non-owner
4/4/16 reservation
Configured when the flood gates opened, 6/27/18

AWD, non-performance
Red Multi-Coat
Aero wheels
EAP
Black Interior
September-November delivery range

I FINALLY got contacted by Tesla, they sent me two emails and a phone call. Online still hasn't updated with a VIN or any other visible changes. Earliest available delivery is 9/29/18, given in one of the emails.

Hang in there everyone!

Disagree. 40% of day 1 reservation holders have at least a VIN, if not a car, compared to 10% of people who reserved day 3 or later. And that's including white interiors -- if you throw those out, then virtually no one who reserved later than day 2 has gotten jack squat.

And keep in mind, that includes people who reserved day 1 and got invited in June but didn't bother to order a car until August. Those people are getting their cars before me (I reserved late but ordered immediately upon availability), which also doesn't seem right.

From Troy's data around 34% of reservation holders (any time) have a VIN compared to only 5% non-reservation holders. Who knows what sausage is being made in the reservation mosh pit, but I wish it was Colosimo's (insert random Utah reference).

Non-owner
4/4/16 reservation
Configured when the flood gates opened, 6/27/18

AWD, non-performance
Red Multi-Coat
Aero wheels
EAP
Black Interior
September-November delivery range

I FINALLY got contacted by Tesla, they sent me two emails and a phone call. Online still hasn't updated with a VIN or any other visible changes. Earliest available delivery is 9/29/18, given in one of the emails.

Hang in there everyone!

Basically, Tesla is being inconsistent:

+ I have the exact same config (good taste, @ForeverEv!)
+ Also non-owner
+ Also no VIN or other indicator online yet
- I reserved almost 2 years later - 2018-01-16
- I live in Canada (?)
- I ordered one day later - 2018-06-28

I got a VIN today by email (prompted by me). I can't rationalize it, just stating facts, and I wish everyone the best.

• Informative
Reactions: UtahIsRad
pretty simple to rationalize- they make them in batches for most efficient production.

Then they're restricted by how many they can ship to a region, and even more by how many they can deliver to customers in a given area because they have so few places to deliver cars through (and many are understaffed and overworked already).

So reservation order absolutely gives you some priority- but if there's a bunch of guys ahead of you clogging up the delivery chain in your location someone who reserved later but doesn't have lots of folks in his area in front happens to have ordered the config they're building this week, he might get his car ahead of the you.

Mix in the cars that get rejected at delivery for various reasons, but are then fixable locally, but that might take a bit since service is backed up too... (body shops even moreso).... so eventually that rejected car will pop into inventory again and maybe the only person in that area with that config ordered or reserved much later- but it matches what he wants and it's there, so he gets it ahead of somebody waiting on the "same" car in another color or wheel choice or who doesn't already have his financing info in, or whatever.

All the while the clown-show that is tesla communication will poorly explain any of this and give conflicting answers each time you talk to someone else (or sometimes even the same person) so folks will storm in here with "what 'tesla' told me!" and it contradicts what 'tesla' told someone else, and so on...

So it looks a mess indeed, but reservations still matter- pretty significantly from data tvisdog quoted.

Hi all,

I updated the AWD / Performance Order Tracker to improve data integrity and to enable more insightful reports about when you might receive your Model 3:

upload_2018-9-4_23-53-36.png

Could people let me know if they have any issues or suggestions?
Feel free also to add comment suggestions directly on the sheet.

Thanks!

Major changes:
  • Sheet is read-only - entry only by Entry form
  • Enabled temporary filter views on Data and Form Responses tabs - find orders like yours!
  • Entry form has clearer field descriptions [e.g. "Order date (min. 20-May-2018)"]
  • Re-organized entry form into logical sequence:
    1. About you
    2. About your order
    3. Tesla's responses
  • Added:
    • 3rd configuration option: "Performance (PUP)"
    • Date of first contact from Tesla (date)
    • Date of when 'Edit' button disappeared
    • Date delivery was made (actual)
  • Delivery date becomes "Scheduled delivery date (original)"

Last edited:
Coincidence? Maybe? I've been watching many people change to white seats once that was an option on the non-P. I never would have dreamed of getting white seats until I sat in one and fell in love. But still, the practical side of me with two teenage kids who can't seem to keep anything looking nice no matter how hard we try said NO way. Yet I've continued to think about it and been watching videos of people testing how well they clean up. I finally had my husband watch the videos and he said I should do it if that is what I want so I finally made the switch on Saturday (9/1) to white seats. First thing this morning, my finance section turned yellow, my edit button was gone and then around 1pm I received a phone call to schedule my delivery. Wow! There is no changing my mind now. I sure hope I don't regret this decision. My specs are ...

Res: Day 2 - 4/1
Config: 6/29/18
Silver, Non-P, Aero, originally with black interior
Changed to white interior on 9/1
Edit button disappeared, phone call from Tesla, received VIN on 9/4
Delivery scheduled for 9/18
VIN: 99,6XX

Oh! Also, today is my 20th wedding anniversary ...what a way to celebrate! :)

Res: Day 2 - 4/1
Config: 6/29/18
Silver, Non-P, Aero, originally with black interior
Changed to white interior on 9/1
Edit button disappeared, phone call from Tesla, received VIN on 9/4
Delivery scheduled for 9/18
VIN: 99,6XX

Oh! Also, today is my 20th wedding anniversary ...what a way to celebrate! :)

Congrats! I'm one of those that got burned for ordering the Sport wheels. Silver, Non-P, Sport. 3/31 reservation, 6/26 config, 7/24 change to white seats, ....., nada.

Received a call from DA saying that delivery would be delayed. Moved from 9/6 to 9/10.

Reserved: 4/1/2016
Ordered: 6/30/2018
Initial email from DA: 8/13
VIN assigned: around 8/16
Delivery originally scheduled: 9/6/2018
New delivery date: 9/10/2018

Red LR AWD 18" Aero EAP
Same config as ours. What is your vin? Ours is 695xx which just seems really low with people getting 100xxx+ numbers now.

Delivery center confirmed our new (after reschedule) delivery for today and told us the car was onsite as of last night!
I will post an update once we get it.

Reactions: tony b
… Tesla send cars to where delivery queue is the shortest.

Is that speculation, something you've observed, or something you know by (likely confidential) means? If accurate, it does not bode well for me. Austin has a high volume of orders, the delivery center appears overburdened (based on no available space anywhere on the grounds this past weekend), and there are well documented difficulties w/ delivering into Texas (see this thread: Texas Hold Up! ).

Look at the numbers, 3/31/16 - 4/2/16 is, essential, it. It's only 9/4, another 26 days to go. Relax!

Agree it's over half of the remaining backlog and Tesla i'm sure is being careful to not deplete the backlog too quickly as to not maintain a healthy production run rate.

I could wait forever. Circumstantial, but my Model 3 is replacing a now 14 y/o commuter. It's given us good and payment free service for 12 years, but she fading and could give any day. Obviously an odd situation to be waiting for a car for such a duration.

Reactions: EnrgyNDpndnce
Same config as ours. What is your vin? Ours is 695xx which just seems really low with people getting 100xxx+ numbers now.

Delivery center confirmed our new (after reschedule) delivery for today and told us the car was onsite as of last night!
I will post an update once we get it.

Your VIN and contact timelines are close to ours (669xx) and our delivery is scheduled for 9/13/2018. All the 100xxx+ VINs I'm seeing now are being scheduled at the very end of September or early October.