Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After lots of feverish reloading, the VIN just showed up on my page (Saturday, 1:30pm, car is supposed to be delivered in 50 hours.) no sign of an MVPA/PO that includes the VIN or other than 'estimated' pricing. I'm pretty certain my credit union won't be able to turn this around in time, not even sure if they have enough now. After waiting 2.5 years, I can wait a few more days, but it is a bummer to have it that close...
A little less than 48 hours before scheduled delivery I finally got a final MVPA with final price sheet and VIN. Unfortunately since it's late on Saturday and my credit union isn't open on Sunday I doubt they will be able to turn things around in time to let me pick the car up on Monday afternoon.

Greetings All. You'll remember me because of my newly-assigned VIN of XXX,XXX.

And Darell isn't my real name.

But that's not what's important here....

In theory I am taking delivery tomorrow morning at 11:30 am. Somebody finally realized that I've not been sent the fancy email to tell me what I should bring (basically, a list of things to worry about). The email just arrived my my DA's assistant (not that my DA is MIA) And there's a new thing to worry about, as my email is written thusly:

Please provide proof of insurance for the Model 3 with an effective date no later than your delivery date as soon as possible. Your delivery will not take place without us receiving proof of insurance prior to delivery.​

For those who have recently taken delivery... did you have to actually show that the car that you haven't yet purchased is insured BEFORE purchase? Or simply that you have auto insurance (on your current cars?) Originally the page asked for me to supply the insurance for my current cars. Now it is telling me, "here's your VIN, make sure you can prove that it is insured, or we won't deliver your car."

Uh... help?

OK, let me be clear on this: Bill is wrong. Do not be patient. Do not wait.

If you ordered in late June and you don't have a DA assigned, something has gone wrong with your order. The computer system is not putting your order into production because something is wrong with your order in the database.

Make sure that the following things are correct on your order in the computer system:
-- there should be a delivery location assigned
-- your $2500 (or $3500) order payment should be credited (as should your initial deposit)
-- your payment method should be marked (cash if it is cash)
-- your options should all be marked, and correctly
-- your name, address, contact info, and so forth should be correct
-- a DA should be assigned to you
-- your order should be going into "processing"

Multiple people have gotten the false and inaccurate instruction to "wait" when there was something screwed up in their database entry -- their orders only started processing when someone fixed the computer data problems. Make someone at Tesla go through your order entry in the database and make sure all the data which needs to be there is there so that the order can be "processed". It seems that the computer system may need an extra "kick" as well, since at least one person had to have a manager intervene to get things going.

---
Perversely, if you're getting delivery dates "assigned", even though they're being cancelled on you and it's not being delivered on that date, it's a good sign: it means your order is being processed properly in the computer system.

Neroden, thanks for your reply and your concern. All of the items you mentioned are good on my account, as far as I can tell. I remembered reading a similar post from you so I actually asked Bill to double check my account to make sure there wasn’t anything wrong that was delaying my car going into production. He checked on his end and said everything was in order and it should happen very soon. I realize you’re probably shaking your head side to side right now, but that’s what the man said.

I am curious and have to ask, how do you know so much about Tesla’s system? I’m asking seriously here, not being a smart arse. You speak with such confidence that something has to be wrong in my situation, I’m wondering if you work for Tesla or a supplier or have some other sort of insider knowledge.

Again, I do appreciate your response and the concern you have shown for those of us still languishing in the NBC (nothing but crickets) Club.

Greetings All. You'll remember me because of my newly-assigned VIN of XXX,XXX.

And Darell isn't my real name.

But that's not what's important here....

In theory I am taking delivery tomorrow morning at 11:30 am. Somebody finally realized that I've not been sent the fancy email to tell me what I should bring (basically, a list of things to worry about). The email just arrived my my DA's assistant (not that my DA is MIA) And there's a new thing to worry about, as my email is written thusly:

Please provide proof of insurance for the Model 3 with an effective date no later than your delivery date as soon as possible. Your delivery will not take place without us receiving proof of insurance prior to delivery.​

For those who have recently taken delivery... did you have to actually show that the car that you haven't yet purchased is insured BEFORE purchase? Or simply that you have auto insurance (on your current cars?) Originally the page asked for me to supply the insurance for my current cars. Now it is telling me, "here's your VIN, make sure you can prove that it is insured, or we won't deliver your car."

Uh... help?
I was told I had to bring proof of insurance for this car. I can’t Drive it home without proof

I was told I had to bring proof of insurance for this car. I can’t Drive it home without proof
Hmm. I'm in OR also. I've always added new cars to insurance after taking delivery once I got home with a VIN etc. My agent told me I'm covered for a period of time regardless. I've not actually spoken to anyone at the SC, just the delivery scheduler in NV whom I did not ask any questions. Guess I better follow up before delivery!

Speaking of VINs, my delivery date just got pushed until the 30th. I noticed the VIN disappeared from my Manage page.

I didn't get a call or text but I had an email from them on Friday that I didn't see until now. Apparently they are pushing deliveries to meet Q3 that they will drive the car to my house tonight. What's funny is I don't even have a loan or a VIN yet. It's a circus.
What they're asking me to do is to insure a car that I've never seen, and that I do not own. How can that ever be an expectation? And of course my current coverage covers me in ANY car that I drive... for this very reason. Because NOBODY insures a car that they don't own!

OK, let me be clear on this: Bill is wrong. Do not be patient. Do not wait.

If you ordered in late June and you don't have a DA assigned, something has gone wrong with your order. The computer system is not putting your order into production because something is wrong with your order in the database.

Make sure that the following things are correct on your order in the computer system:
-- there should be a delivery location assigned
-- your $2500 (or $3500) order payment should be credited (as should your initial deposit)
-- your payment method should be marked (cash if it is cash)
-- your options should all be marked, and correctly
-- your name, address, contact info, and so forth should be correct
-- a DA should be assigned to you
-- your order should be going into "processing"

Multiple people have gotten the false and inaccurate instruction to "wait" when there was something screwed up in their database entry -- their orders only started processing when someone fixed the computer data problems. Make someone at Tesla go through your order entry in the database and make sure all the data which needs to be there is there so that the order can be "processed". It seems that the computer system may need an extra "kick" as well, since at least one person had to have a manager intervene to get things going.

---
Perversely, if you're getting delivery dates "assigned", even though they're being cancelled on you and it's not being delivered on that date, it's a good sign: it means your order is being processed properly in the computer system.

Neroden is correct. I was a late June order with a day 1 reservation. No traction on my order until my Tesla rep literally "walked over" to the order operations team in Fremont with my case to see what is going on. Their immediate response was that... "they are going to prioritize your account for a match with a vehicle."

Within 48 hours I had a delivery scheduled, MVPA, and a VIN. Now my delivery may get pushed, but I'm at least in the production queue. You've got to make sure the right people(ops team) are even aware of your order, especially if you ordered between 6/27-6/30. Some orders fell through the cracks.

Their manufacturing system which does logistics isn't going to have anything to do with the website. Data from their manufacturing system would be exposed as a web service to the website to get/post but all of the logistics logic would reside in a separate system.
Is it you or your husband in IT? What I was referring to is called I N T E G R A T I O N.
Because some information from one system integrates with information from other systems is how it works virtually everywhere. It's not an open door with ALL information transferred, much less to a browser. Nor was I advocating exposing manufacturing or exposing ALL information...merely more than they are. Not everything is a web based action. HTTP get, post, delete, put are RESTFUL methods used in web and nonweb interfaces.

Of course if you weren't referencing what I had said....pls disregard.

Last edited:
Reactions: TechSavvyWife
Neroden is correct. I was a late June order with a day 1 reservation. No traction on my order until my Tesla rep literally "walked over" to the order operations team in Fremont with my case to see what is going on. Their immediate response was that... "they are going to prioritize your account for a match with a vehicle."

Within 48 hours I had a delivery scheduled, MVPA, and a VIN. Now my delivery may get pushed, but I'm at least in the production queue. You've got to make sure the right people(ops team) are even aware of your order, especially if you ordered between 6/27-6/30. Some orders fell through the cracks.
Good advice. I finally called last week for the 1st time after switch to AWD in May, and the rep was surprised that I didn't have DA assigned as a day 1 reservation, and June order. He flagged my account for review, and said I would be contacted shortly. Nothing yet a couple of days later, but at least for early orders, it does seem to make sense not to wait it out assuming you're losing the delivery lottery.

Reactions: neroden

We're all happy for you but what you were told IS and has been Tesla's stated policy for awhile now. Orders are handled in configuration ($2500 deposit) sequence with priority given to reservation date. How that is executed is unclear. I was not day 1 reservation but reserved over a year ago. I configured and my $2500 transacted at 12:03 EDT June 29th 2018. If a day one reservation ordered in mid July, I suspect I'd be ahead of them but not certain. This has been reported by multiple sources on here when they were told the same by Tesla personnel.

• Disagree
Reactions: neroden
thanks for saving me the time and effort of having to hunt your car down and read your VIN through your windshield!
I am happy to have been of service. And boy... when you learn that my car is propelled by electricity, and it was made by Tesla, and that it has two motors.... well... I'm not really sure what you're going to do with that information. Something nefarious, I'm almost certain.

Hmm. I'm in OR also. I've always added new cars to insurance after taking delivery once I got home with a VIN etc. My agent told me I'm covered for a period of time regardless. I've not actually spoken to anyone at the SC, just the delivery scheduler in NV whom I did not ask any questions. Guess I better follow up before delivery!
I simply can't believe that *anybody* can insist that we insure a car that we don't own!

Speaking of VINs, my delivery date just got pushed until the 30th. I noticed the VIN disappeared from my Manage page.
That's the scary part of VINs right there. And I guess why nobody posts the whole thing without those protective X's.

• Funny
Reactions: TechSavvyWife
What they're asking me to do is to insure a car that I've never seen, and that I do not own. How can that ever be an expectation? And of course my current coverage covers me in ANY car that I drive... for this very reason. Because NOBODY insures a car that they don't own!

All cars I've purchased was like it. Drive off with current insurance and buy later. I just got off the phone with Tesla and they told me to take the car and apply loan later. I said NO, I will wait to apply and get approved before I sign and drive. Never took a car before I had a loan before.

My delivery appointment is Monday at 9 AM.
I called the insurance agent yesterday to make sure the Model-3 is on the policy.

We're all happy for you but what you were told IS and has been Tesla's stated policy for awhile now. Orders are handled in configuration ($2500 deposit) sequence with priority given to reservation date. How that is executed is unclear. I was not day 1 reservation but reserved over a year ago. I configured and my $2500 transacted at 12:03 EDT June 29th 2018. If a day one reservation ordered in mid July, I suspect I'd be ahead of them but not certain. This has been reported by multiple sources on here when they were told the same by Tesla personnel.
My day 3/31/16, 6/26/18 (re-)config and Apr/18 $2500 deposit has not resulted in any movement, so it's clearly more complicated than that.