Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD Performance Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there any particular reason you are fixated with <5.0 seconds 0-60 times beyond bragging rights or making sure some kid with a chip-tuned WRX isn't faster?

I've driven the RWD version of the 340i and it's 0-60 in about 5.0 or 5.1 seconds. The AWD version that I have is about 4.6 seconds. Both are break-neck quick and nobody would whine about either of them being slow.
As a 50 year old that owns a WRX and has a model 3 reservation I felt compelled to join and reply to this. It's a nice unreliable car for what it is, an AWD that gets over 30 MPG on the highway. In my case I do a lot of interstate driving where good braking or acceleration can help you avoid accidents. Semi trucks tend to run people off the road and horns don't help because often their country music is turned up too loud.

Since I'm going to charge mine from coal generated power I cannot say I'm buying one because it's green. I am buying one because I feel people should support and promote innovation. I plan on charging at home but if I'm in a pinch there is a supercharger on the route I drive. My wife has a requirement that all cars are AWD with no exceptions. I guess I'm also looking for an electric car to provide outstanding passing acceleration.

Since I'm going to charge mine from coal generated power I cannot say I'm buying one because it's green.
The beauty of an electric car is that the source of the electricity is not fixed, and you may be able to make it greener in the future. Solar and wind keep getting cheaper, and in many states you can buy green power offsets. Elon has also said they intend to make superchargers fully powered by renewables, so road trips may very well be green before too long. Fossil fuels will always be dirty.

I have been doing the same If I don't go with a Tesla my next choice is the S3. Should look at the BMW 340XI also. Thinking the Audi A3/A4 and BMW 3 series are the big competitors to the Tesla 3.

I'd have the S3 as my "backup car if Model 3 takes too long" if it had Traffic Jam Assist and ventilated seats. Alas, the A4 is my backup because of that.

Also, I wish the Model 3 were sized more like the A3/S3… sigh.

Solar and wind keep getting cheaper, and in many states you can buy green power offsets. Elon has also said they intend to make superchargers fully powered by renewables, so road trips may very well be green before too long. Fossil fuels will always be dirty.
I did research solar for my home but it has a multitude of mature trees on the property that make it impossible. Project sunroof paints a horrible profile, and this is after I cut down a dozen trees that were planted too close to the house. Grid renewable energy is interesting but for some reason I always picture something like Enron - a total sham and I'm unsure how it is audited and regulated. I figured we would have Thorium reactors everywhere by now providing somewhat clean energy.

I'd have the S3 as my "backup car if Model 3 takes too long" if it had Traffic Jam Assist and ventilated seats. Alas, the A4 is my backup because of that.

Have you driven an Audi with Traffic Jam Assist? I'm really intrigued but haven't tried it out, as not that many inventory models are equipped with it. I'm curious about how well it maintains a reasonable following distance (ie, not too far back so people are constantly cutting in front of you...) - I've read that can be an issue with some.

The width of the Model 3 is a concern for me as well... almost a foot wider than my 335.

Yeah it is.... There was a thread that went into this in meticulous detail a while back, as apparently there was mismatching information in 2 different Tesla sources. The difference was about 10 inches. I will try to dig it up.

I'm using the wider specs (the earlier specs had it almost the same size as the BMW 3 series). I'm pretty sure you are comparing the mirrors folded width of the BMW against the mirrors extended width of the Model 3. The BMW is 71.3" mirrors folded and 80.0" mirrors extended. The Model 3 is 76.1" mirrors folded and 82.2" mirrors extended (the original published specs for the Model 3 had it at 72" mirrors folded and 76" mirrors extended).

I'm using the wider specs (the earlier specs had it almost the same size as the BMW 3 series). I'm pretty sure you are comparing the mirrors folded width of the BMW against the mirrors extended width of the Model 3. The BMW is 71.3" mirrors folded and 80.0" mirrors extended. The Model 3 is 76.1" mirrors folded and 82.2" mirrors extended (the original published specs for the Model 3 had it at 72" mirrors folded and 76" mirrors extended).
Hmmm.... Maybe you are right... I really spent some time on this at the time because I was concerned about it (and surprised), but maybe I had something wrong. Well that is a relief.

Thinking a good set of winter tires would go a long way also. More worried about getting stuck in the snow then sliding. They don't really plow my neighborhood so Can get deep and then I find traction control kills the power completely. Not sure if this is the case with the Tesla or not. I end up defeating it on other cars because of this.

I'll just leave this here... :)

Climate Change: 2014 Tesla Model S P85D

Admittedly, that's the AWD P85D, but I haven't seen such evocative language elsewhere. The Norwegians seem pretty happy with RWD S performance on snow and ice. Snow tires will always be the best thing you can do for a car.

Reactions: THXULTRA
I drove a very nicely appointed S3, really enjoyed it, then immediately after made the mistake of taking out an S5 Sportback (not realizing what the sticker was on it - $69k) and that kind of blew the S3 away, which spoiled it for me...

A couple days later I drove an S4 and loved it. In addition to the performance, it has the same luxurious feel as the S5, just minus the hatchback (and much easier to negotiate, because the S5 Sportback are relatively rare and in demand).

For $$ sake, I think I need to go back and give the S3 another shot, having cleared my head of the S5 Sportback experience. Also, for the first test drive, I had my 6'5" husband, my daughter, AND the salesman all crammed in that little thing... which is really not the kind of passenger load it's designed for (or would normally be carrying, as far as how I'd use it).

My sales guy is really, really trying to get me to consider a fully loaded A4 he has, and I'm sure it's awesome, but it won't be nearly as fun to drive as the S4 (or S3, or Model 3, or 340/440).

I have truly loved my 335i (RWD). If not for the new tech that has come out recently (Apple CarPlay) I would probably buy it. My only hesitation with its successor, the 340, is that the 3 series is so common (although 335/340 less so) - it would be fun to have something a little different, like the 4 series, if I go with another BMW.

Anyhow... I fully agree, these are some of the major competitors for the Model 3. I will be very curious to see what comes of the Model 3 Performance version.

Now's not a great time to get a 3 series anyway unless you get a phenomenal deal. The F30 is going to be replaced by the new G20 platform 3 series in about 10 months.

• Informative
Reactions: WhiskySTL
Have you driven an Audi with Traffic Jam Assist? I'm really intrigued but haven't tried it out, as not that many inventory models are equipped with it. I'm curious about how well it maintains a reasonable following distance (ie, not too far back so people are constantly cutting in front of you...) - I've read that can be an issue with some.

The width of the Model 3 is a concern for me as well... almost a foot wider than my 335.

I'd like to, but none of the dealerships around here ever have one I can test drive…

Reactions: WhiskySTL

I really like the Audi's as well. I drove an A3 and it really handles well. I know I would really like the S3. Also curious what people think of Audi traffic jam assist vs Auto Pilot. I think Tesla has the edge here though because of the way they update their cars. The Tesla version will continue to improve where the Audi you get what you get when you buy the car.

I'll just leave this here... :)

Climate Change: 2014 Tesla Model S P85D

Admittedly, that's the AWD P85D, but I haven't seen such evocative language elsewhere. The Norwegians seem pretty happy with RWD S performance on snow and ice. Snow tires will always be the best thing you can do for a car.
Great article didn't know about the warm up time. Also about the heat. Thinking the premium package is going to be a must for the heated seats.

I really like the Audi's as well. I drove an A3 and it really handles well. I know I would really like the S3. Also curious what people think of Audi traffic jam assist vs Auto Pilot. I think Tesla has the edge here though because of the way they update their cars. The Tesla version will continue to improve where the Audi you get what you get when you buy the car.
Performance Model 3 should be more inline price-wise to the RS3. That would be more comparable comparison. Although not much different between the S3 and RS3 except the drivetrain of course.

Traffic jam assist is more like TACC (traffic aware cruise control) or adaptive cruise control. I don't think it really does much more than that.

Reactions: THXULTRA
Performance Model 3 should be more inline price-wise to the RS3. That would be more comparable comparison. Although not much different between the S3 and RS3 except the drivetrain of course.

Traffic jam assist is more like TACC (traffic aware cruise control) or adaptive cruise control. I don't think it really does much more than that.

I was under the impression that traffic jam assist also steers the car and keeps it in the lane. Also only works up to 40mph vs tesla that is up to 90mph...

Front seats will still be heated without the premium package. The premium package adds the rear seat heating.
I know this is the case with the model S but I haven't seen anything on what is standard interior wise with the model 3. I know the base interior is cloth so I would most likely go for the premium to get the leather seats. Also wondering if the premium model 3 will have the heated steering wheel like the Model S does. Have that on my current winter driver and it is really nice on those sub zero days.