Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

baby picture of my Model S :)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
leilani started the vegan option--now affectionately known as the leilani option.

Are you taking delivery @ home/back east or @ the factory? Are you planning a SF Bay Area 'coming out' party at delivery? Will your new baby need some 'grown up' Model S company at Fremont? Bet a few locals would show up @ delivery...besides your sis & BIL... :)

Last edited:
**Just so all are aware, the 100% Cruelty-Free Tesla Model S is available to mere mortals as well--it's not a just a Special Build for Leilani!**

After waiting for the Model S for years, I had to cancel our original Model S order due to the absurd options packaging they had with original production. Hated to do it, but Tesla needed a correction and money talks (especially when it walks out the door).

At the time, if you wanted to get memory and heated seats, you had to also pay to have the brains blown out of a half-dozen abused and mistreated cows so their skins could be treated with toxins, and then slathered all over your car's seats.

This is wrong on so many levels I can't even list them all here. (But I'll list some anyway: Green House Gas production, ethics, morality, evil, etc. Tesla drivers should know all this, but in case you don't, please take a gander at these links and get informed ASAP.)

http://www.independent.co.uk/enviro...tes-half-of-all-greenhouse-gases-1812909.html

http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?newsID=20772&CR1=warning#.UiED9Bsqh-o

http://www.peta.org/issues/animals-used-for-clothing/leather-industry.aspx

Future generations will look at us and wonder how we could be so evil, and so nonchalant about it too . . . I've seen it. An abattoir is the greatest amount of daily evil that can be found on our planet.

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."
Winston Churchill
(Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/w/winstonchu135270.html#FgfDBVeYRrE2UztF.99 )

Fortunately, one FedEx letter (with supporting docs) to Elon and, voila, things got better fast. Elon is not "most men."

Not only did they unbundle the Cruelty-Filled Interior choice from the other options, they ALSO are making Cruelty-Free Steering wheels as a "secret" option for their most aware, least-cruel customers. Thus, our Tesla MS is also 100% Cruelty-Free too, and please encourage others to do the same! The new steering wheel feels better than the murdered cow's skin wheel we had in our loaner, and it's guilt-free as it's wrong to kill animals for fun or for their parts.

Just another reason to LOVE Tesla Motors!

Not only did they unbundle the Cruelty-Filled Interior choice from the other options, they ALSO are making Cruelty-Free Steering wheels as a "secret" option for their most aware, least-cruel customers.

Is the standard steering wheel leather? I checked Tesla's website and on the Model S specs page, all it says is that the standard interior has "hand wrapped microfiber and ***synthetic*** leather" inside.

How do you get the "secret" option?

I hope your babies delivered without a hitch!

I saw your talk at Teslive over video and loved it. Little did I realize that your sister is Natascha, who my mother in law (Carol Lacey) taught with at the same school in Oakland's inner city, maybe 10 years ago. Carol is a person devoted to helping save the world, and mentioned casually a while back that your brother-in-law came and sang to the little kids, and apparently all of them loved it. She said it was low key and sweet, and the kids enjoyed it for just what it was without any pomp or circumstance.

As a new Tesla nut, I found it totally out of left field to see your sister in a picture with you (I didn't know the relation) and harken back to a wonderful story. Carol lives with us, but has been sheepish to drive our P85, even though I have tried to encourage her as much as possible. Perhaps I should tell her that Natascha also loves the car to encourage her?

Best wishes, Matt.

Not only did they unbundle the Cruelty-Filled Interior choice from the other options, they ALSO are making Cruelty-Free Steering wheels as a "secret" option for their most aware, least-cruel customers. Thus, our Tesla MS is also 100% Cruelty-Free too, and please encourage others to do the same! The new steering wheel feels better than the murdered cow's skin wheel we had in our loaner, and it's guilt-free as it's wrong to kill animals for fun or for their parts.

Just another reason to LOVE Tesla Motors!

If you're serious about this-- and you seem to be-- I'm not sure why you'd "love" Tesla at this point. After all, the vast majority of the cars they sell will still have some leather in them. It's nice that they're willing to accommodate vegans, but it's a purely economic decision on their part: they want to sell more cars. If they shared your concerns, all Teslas would be leather-free.

Myself, I ordered my new Model S with Extra Cruelty™. The Extended Nappa Leather option was expensive, but hopefully I'll think it's worth it when I receive the car.

I hope your babies delivered without a hitch!

I saw your talk at Teslive over video and loved it. Little did I realize that your sister is Natascha, who my mother in law (Carol Lacey) taught with at the same school in Oakland's inner city, maybe 10 years ago. Carol is a person devoted to helping save the world, and mentioned casually a while back that your brother-in-law came and sang to the little kids, and apparently all of them loved it. She said it was low key and sweet, and the kids enjoyed it for just what it was without any pomp or circumstance.

As a new Tesla nut, I found it totally out of left field to see your sister in a picture with you (I didn't know the relation) and harken back to a wonderful story. Carol lives with us, but has been sheepish to drive our P85, even though I have tried to encourage her as much as possible. Perhaps I should tell her that Natascha also loves the car to encourage her?

Best wishes, Matt.

Wow, Matt! What a small world. I know that school well, I used to drive up from San Diego every Thanksgiving and I would be Natascha's teacher assistant. The kids just loved her, it was so sweet to watch. Sometimes they would mistake me for her and run into the room and give me a hug, not realizing I wasn't Natascha. Tell Carol I said this: life is short, drive the Model S anytime it is offered to you!

If you're serious about this-- and you seem to be-- I'm not sure why you'd "love" Tesla at this point. After all, the vast majority of the cars they sell will still have some leather in them. It's nice that they're willing to accommodate vegans, but it's a purely economic decision on their part: they want to sell more cars. If they shared your concerns, all Teslas would be leather-free.

Myself, I ordered my new Model S with Extra Cruelty™. The Extended Nappa Leather option was expensive, but hopefully I'll think it's worth it when I receive the car.

Yes, I am serious about this, as you should be as well.

What is odd is that upwards of 80% of supposedly early adopter, well-informed Tesla buyers have such a massive blind spot about the truth of hairless fur/leather. The ethical and moral issues should be obvious, but yet . . . The environmental issues are massive and should be well know, but yet . . .

http://www.theecologist.org/News/ne...g_blight_indias_booming_leather_industry.html

http://www.foodnavigator-usa.com/R-...o-measure-livestock-s-impact-on-GHG-emissions

http://www.fao.org/newsroom/en/news/2006/1000448/

Livestock a major threat to environment
Remedies urgently needed

That last link is from 2006, and it underestimates the damage caused by agriculture according to new analysis, yet most seem to have no clue on this. Tesla buyers should be "in the know" on this sort of thing. It's really a bit perplexing.

Tesla has to survive otherwise the whole enterprise is a bust. For now, they've decided that making more money by selling what customers such as you are "voting" for with their dollars is what they're going to do. I get that. The problem isn't with Tesla, it's with the buyers that aren't as well informed as Tesla is. It does create a bit of a moral conundrum for Tesla though--what do you do when you, as a company, know more than your customers? I think they're just hoping for a gradual shift, one that they're more than willing to support as noted by Leilani's, my, and several thousand other orders.

As for treating cruelty as some sort of a joke, well, that's sad. I'd recommend just the slightest bit of research into how the animal abuse industry found a way to make even more money from their efforts by equating the toxin treated skins of murdered animals with "luxury." Obviously, their decades of marketing has worked, at least until now, hence the number of Model S's with leather interiors.

Fortunately, TMC is here and will help, hopefully, inform and educate.

Thanks for writing.

interesting read, I think it's great that Tesla is able to adapt and make those changes for you, even if it becomes part of the Telsa PR machine later on...

how far do you take it though, surely many people who worked on the car are not vegans and their meaty hands were all over the car during it's production....

Fortunately, TMC is here and will help, hopefully, inform and educate.

Your post is fantastic, thank you. It is a very important issue so often overlooked. More greenhouse gases go into the atmosphere from the meat industry than from the entire transportation sector put together. That is all the trains, planes, cars, ships, trucks, all forms of fossil fuel based transportation put together - this was exposed by the United Nations in their study: Livestock's long shadow: environmental issues and options

One acre of land can produce 165 pounds of beef OR 20,000 pounds of potatoes. And while it takes 23 gallons of water to produce a pound of tomatoes, it takes over 5000 gallons of water to produce the equivalent pound of beef.

Thank you for not only taking it seriously, but for posting the facts to back up this decision. ANYONE who watches Earthlings will change their minds: Earthlings.com | A Film by Nation Earth There are six houses on my little street. Three of them have come to my house to watch movies. Two of those three have gone vegan.

There are 600 million vegetarians in the world. If we were one nation we would be larger than the United States, England, France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand all put together. If we were one nation we would be larger than the 27 nations of the European Union. This is the former VP of Citibank making his case for taking animals off the menu, it is very powerful....

(others who agree: Bill Gates, Albert Einstein, Leonardo DaVinci, Vincent Van Gogh, Henry David Thoreau, Ghandi, Ralph Waldo Emerson, etc...)

Last edited by a moderator:
Your post is fantastic, thank you. It is a very important issue so often overlooked. More greenhouse gases go into the atmosphere from the meat industry than from the entire transportation sector put together. That is all the trains, planes, cars, ships, trucks, all forms of fossil fuel based transportation put together - this was exposed by the United Nations in their study: Livestock's long shadow: environmental issues and options

One acre of land can produce 165 pounds of beef OR 20,000 pounds of potatoes. And while it takes 23 gallons of water to produce a pound of tomatoes, it takes over 5000 gallons of water to produce the equivalent pound of beef.

Thank you for not only taking it seriously, but for posting the facts to back up this decision. ANYONE who watches Earthlings will change their minds: Earthlings.com | A Film by Nation Earth There are six houses on my little street. Three of them have come to my house to watch movies. Two of those three have gone vegan.

There are 600 million vegetarians in the world. If we were one nation we would be larger than the United States, England, France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand all put together. If we were one nation we would be larger than the 27 nations of the European Union. This is the former VP of Citibank making his case for taking animals off the menu, it is very powerful....

(others who agree: Bill Gates, Albert Einstein, Leonardo DaVinci, Vincent Van Gogh, Henry David Thoreau, Ghandi, Ralph Waldo Emerson, etc...)

What an amazing YouTube video: eye-opening, powerful, and profoundly informative.

I hope others will take a few short minutes to watch it as it's directly aligned with the reasons many of us spent so much money to buy a Tesla Model S.

Thanks for sharing that link; will research that debate further.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a Vegan who went with a standard 85 because they wouldn't offer me a Performance w/ textile interior. I'm thinking about upgrading now that it is an option. Aside from the steering wheel it seems like the dash is also wrapped in leather?

Congratulations Leilani! Your convictions have produced a change for the better. Glad you were able to get the car you wanted. If you don't mind me asking... How are you getting all these pics of your car as it is being built? I would LOVE that for mine. Do you sign up somewhere, or are you getting special VIP treatment from Tesla? ;)