Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Baby Seating Position

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How many of you new parents are putting the baby carrier in the center vs one of the sides? I know there is some concern with side curtain airbags for the side positions in other vehicles, but is that an issue with the Model 3? Would love to hear any thoughts on the subject. Thanks! (this is all assuming you have only 1 child and therefore a choice of where to put it)

We've got two car seats so sides are the only option. I'd have to go back and check, but I think if you have the seat strapped down hard enough using the latch points (adequate weight on the seat sensor) without the seat belt buckled you get a popup display to select that a car seat is installed. I believe that alters which airbags deploy.

Edit - after looking through the manual I don't know if selecting that child seat button changes the airbag deployment or not. It may just mute the seat belt warning or something. If anybody knows I'd be interested.

Last edited:
The manual specifically says sides only. We initially did the center, but when we got it inspected at the fire department they said most cars aren't actually set up for the center.
Center is fine, you just can't use the LATCH system to secure the seat to the center. I initially used seatbelt to secure the seat in the middle, but noticed it was much more straining to secure baby in the seat when it's in the middle. I've since moved the car seat to behind driver (I park on the right in the garage so it's easier to access through driver side) and used LATCH to secure it.

Reactions: flashflooder
If the carrier is using LATCH you can only use the side seats. There aren't LATCH attachments in the seat for the center. That being said, the side impact crash test is very good on the model 3. I currently have my child in a booster behind the driver seat as it's easy for the passenger to interact.

IIHS Side Impact:
2019 Tesla Model 3 4-door sedan
Looks like the side curtain wouldn't even come down low enough to hit the baby carrier.

We utilize the center of our 3. We also use BOTH the seat belt and the latches. When we installed the car seat for our newborn son, I was extremely uncomfortable with the wiggle room with the seat belt at its tightest. So I also latched it down to the latches closest to the center seat and am much happier and more comfortable with that position.

Attachments

• Page 34.png
    Page 34.png
    211.4 KB · Views: 94
  • Disagree
Reactions: DV_T3SLA
I installed ours on the passenger side using latch. Way easier than crawling inside the back seat to drop the carrier into the base. Also, on longer trips, my wife would be able to sit comfortably in the seat next time him.
This +1
I just went out to see how it would be in the center and it really doesn't allow passengers to sit in the back, at least comfortably (and you could argue safely). The combo of that with much harder to get in and out make the side the better choice IMO. Lastly, a mirror to see the kid's face is almost impossible with many setups in the middle.

This +1
I just went out to see how it would be in the center and it really doesn't allow passengers to sit in the back, at least comfortably (and you could argue safely). The combo of that with much harder to get in and out make the side the better choice IMO. Lastly, a mirror to see the kid's face is almost impossible with many setups in the middle.

Did you manage to put a mirror? I'm having the hardest time to find one that would work...

I have a pumpkin seat (11 week old) base that stays in the middle. I'm almost 6'3 and with my seat back as far as I sit, and usually no one sits in the passenger seat, I just push that one forward and it easier to get him in and out on the passenger side.

I like using latch and the ease of getting the little guy in and out so I opted for the side. The center is statistically safer though.
Correct. But you may have to really work to make sure the seat is sufficiently secured using the center seatbelt. The right side is the next safest option because more cars are hit on the driver’s side (left) from people running red lights. And you can really secure the seat using the Latch attachments.