Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Back speakers and Sub not working.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I happend to me today. Everything sounds muffled and very grainy and barely any sound comes out of the subs. I usually only listen to radio (NPR) so i only noticed it when listening to music today. I'm on 2019.5.15 so they haven't fixed the issue yet. Hopefully it comes back to normal tomorrow, otherwise have an appointment with service next week. Vin is in the low 20K's.

This happened to me last week. I was driving and suddenly the music sounded awful, and I realized the subwoofers and door speakers were gone. Where there should have been bass, I get the "click click pop" sounds instead. I did 2 button reboot, nope. When I got home, I tried a full reboot with the brakes down and waited a few minutes to turn it back on. Still nope.

But later that same day, after parking the car in a parking lot for about an hour, I went back and ... it worked again. I have no idea what happened.

I was at the service center this week and asked them to take a look, so the technician removed the trunk liner and checked for loose connections in the amps area ... he said there were none.

At this point I'm convinced it's software, but it's odd that my multiple reboots didn't do anything, but parking the car and coming back later did.

This just happened to me today for the first time. I pulled into the driveway and my son got out of the passenger side. As soon as the door opened, all speakers except for the front cut out completely. I had to reset and it came back. Ugh. On version 2019.5.15

I've posted this elsewhere but each time the loss of bass/subwoofer has happened to me, the two-button reset has fixed it; so far, about 4 times. Prior to the reset, I've tried changing the equalizer's bass slider down and up with no effect. I also tried moving the balance dot around and noted that if you put the dot in the right rear corner of the car, it will be the only active speaker and you'll definitely notice the loss of bass. Moving to the left rear, the FRONT speakers come on.

On 2019.5.15.

Just had this wonderful bug pop up on my Model 3 today...the day after I got back from a 1,000 rod trip so not sure if that has anything to do with it. Rear speakers and all bass cut out, clicks and pops only from the rear speakers. Tried a two button reset while driving to no avail. I parked the car a few minutes ago so I’ll check back after it goes to sleep.

I have this problem also now. Only front speakers working. Rear is making a constant clicking popping sound. Tried soft/hard resets but didn’t help. I hope it also fixes itself overnight, will update tomorrow.

My Model 3 started doing the same thing today after making a phone call. Now neither my mic or my back speakers are working.

Has anyone tried a factory reset?

The next day for me the problem was not fixed, so I thought what could be different in my situation? I had Sentry mode on, so maybe the car just needs some "real" sleep. I tried waiting again another day but this time without Sentry mode and the next day the problem was gone.

A lot of people (including me) seem to have intermittent back speakers/subwoofer. It seems like by now there should be a root cause and therefore a (permanent) fix. Is anyone aware of this? Has anyone ever had it permanently fixed by Tesla Service?

If it is just the sub, make sure the connector is pressed firmly into the sub box so that it snaps in place. I had found mine not inserted all the way and so it might have been able to "jiggle loose" sometimes.
If the rear door speakers are going off sometimes then that is a different issue with the rear amp.

If it is just the sub, make sure the connector is pressed firmly into the sub box so that it snaps in place. I had found mine not inserted all the way and so it might have been able to "jiggle loose" sometimes.
If the rear door speakers are going off sometimes then that is a different issue with the rear amp.
Actually the rear door speakers were probably still working - but the sub was definitely not.

I checked the 3 connectors going into the power amp that faces the sub - they were solidly snapped in place. I didn't see a connector on the sub box (but I was hesitant to pull the liner back any further) - can you give me a general idea where that is? Thanks.

The wiring harness takes the speaker signals from the amp (attached to the front of the sub box) and sends them to the speaker in the box via another connector at the lower part of the black plastic sub box. It is at the bottom facing the middle of the trunk. So, yeah, you have to pull back the liner far to get all the way down to the bottom there. Just push it in and make sure it is snug. If you hear a click then it wasn't secured before.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yonki
Received my car on Saturday, October 27th, 2018 and by Tuesday, October 30th, 2018 I began experiencing speaker issues with my two rear speakers. It is essentially a tic toc sounds that persists through all audio playing. Just initiated contact with Tesla regarding a resolution. Will be sure to update forum as much as possible.
Just bought a 2021 Model 3 last week. It's in service now with the same exact issue. The ticking sound and all. I'm hoping they are able to resolve this today.