Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Banging/clunking sound when driving over mountains in cold weather

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a moment of enlightenment this weekend. I was working with my Audi A6 4.2 prepping it for sale reflecting on all of special care it required over the years. It was a lot for sure, but I loved the car so I accommodated it. I'm now 6 months in to my Model 3 and although I don't love the occasional bang/clunk from under my feet, it pales in comparison to the other features I enjoy. Please don't accuse me of being a Tesla fanboy. I'm not. But I didn't go through my Audi ownership nitpicking its performance and features and never joined a forum like this. I just drove my car and accepted my regular donation to the service department. So now I move on to just driving my Model 3. I gave it a hand wash Sunday, but know that too will fade and one day I'll submit it to the ravages of an automated car wash. The horror! :) Cheers everyone!

I drove up Trail Ridge Road ~11,500 last night (42 F) and the first time I have ever heard this sound but happened ~ 10 times. First time I thought I hit some snow but the road was clear, the second time I was positive I had not hit anything and my wife started asking about it. The sound did not seem to be related to speed, ascending or descending but more random in location and what the car was doing at the time. I stopped and looked under the car everything looked normal. As soon as we got down lower it stopped, last one was ~ 8,500' and then never heard one again. My guess is it was related pressure relief or metal expansion related to altitude, temperature and battery heat or some combination of the three. But it was very bothersome because I kept thinking there was something under the car or the regen braking had a loose part.

I've only heard it once so far and we have two Model 3's first one delivered in mid-May. The sound came from under/forward of the pedals and sounded like a thin sheet of steel "popping". Not very loud and not very alarming. Especially since I had already heard about this phenomenon here and that it was normal and harmless. If that sound happened in my 2010 Ford F-150, I probably wouldn't have even noticed it.

The Model 3 makes a number of very unique sounds but the overall auditory signature of the car is one of exceptional quietness. It's very pleasant from an auditory perspective. Probably one of my favorite things about the car, that it's so silky smooth and quiet.
Tell that to everyone complaining about ambient noise.

Hello, so it’s been a year (and a half) since the last post in this thread. Been hearing this “banging / popping” noise lately and I noticed it whenever I drive on ascending / descending surfaces (driving in / out of elevated garage). Wondering if service center has a fix for this (annoying) issue. Thanks

Reactions: Schulmann
Hello, so it’s been a year (and a half) since the last post in this thread. Been hearing this “banging / popping” noise lately and I noticed it whenever I drive on ascending / descending surfaces (driving in / out of elevated garage). Wondering if service center has a fix for this (annoying) issue. Thanks
There is a service bulletin for the battery breather valves for older model 3. Mine(8/18) was eligible but I will say it made a negligible difference when going up or down mountains now I just ignore it.

There is a service bulletin for the battery breather valves for older model 3. Mine(8/18) was eligible but I will say it made a negligible difference when going up or down mountains now I just ignore it.
Mine is Dec 2019 (from paper it’s 2020 model) I randomly hear the noise that’s why I’m a bit hesitant to schedule a service.

So in your case, they “replaced / fixed” the breather valves and you still hear the noise?

Mine is Dec 2019 (from paper it’s 2020 model) I randomly hear the noise that’s why I’m a bit hesitant to schedule a service.

So in your case, they “replaced / fixed” the breather valves and you still hear the noise?
I had the TSB performed and it might have helped a bit (the biggest pops aren't quite as loud now or maybe the previous pops made more clearance for whatever is happening). It definitely did not fix the issue, though.

Yes. Cold weather makes it louder and more frequent. I rarely get the pops in warm weather, but almost always when charging or during big elevation changes in cold weather.
Yup. Elevation changes (much more frequent and much louder going up (v. down) in elevation) in the colder temps. I have not honestly noticed them in warmer weather, with our without elevation changes.

Elevation changes in cold weather make it pops the most. Charging in cold weather and elevation changes in warm weather rarely pop since they replaced the breather valves but cold weather and elevation changes does it every time. Living in Colorado that’s 7-8 months of the year.

Yup. Elevation changes (much more frequent and much louder going up (v. down) in elevation) in the colder temps. I have not honestly noticed them in warmer weather, with our without elevation changes.
Happened again tonight by just turning left on the intersection. Tonight is 39 degrees pretty cold. I can feel the vibration underneath when it sounded ‘bang’.

Happened again tonight by just turning left on the intersection. Tonight is 39 degrees pretty cold. I can feel the vibration underneath when it sounded ‘bang’.
Put in a ticket in the app regardless of what happens you’ll have it on the record. If it’s happening on level ground it may be something different. I would try to find a spot where you can consistently recreate it.

Put in a ticket in the app regardless of what happens you’ll have it on the record. If it’s happening on level ground it may be something different. I would try to find a spot where you can consistently recreate it.

Waste of time. It’s “normal” and they all do it. The updated parts from the service center won’t make it stop. My battery will sometimes pop (or whatever term we are using to describing the noise) when negotiating a driveway apron or other transition. Sometimes it’ll pop with no provocation whatsoever.

Reactions: hcdavis3
Waste of time. It’s “normal” and they all do it. The updated parts from the service center won’t make it stop. My battery will sometimes pop (or whatever term we are using to describing the noise) when negotiating a driveway apron or other transition. Sometimes it’ll pop with no provocation whatsoever.
I don’t disagree but everyone needs to do what’s right for them. If you had told me that a year ago when I first saw the service bulitin I wouldn’t have listened and had them replaced regardless but I have the advantage of being then min from a service center I have not does the OP situation.
Either way a Tesla is essentially a high tech company the more data points on their products the more then can improve them in the future even if the OP is simply another data point in the data lake it helps is all down the road.

When I drive down our big hill (only 440 ft elevation) in the coldest part of the last 2 winters, I get a huge clunk when I hit the brakes. Whole car jerks - this can't be the pops you all are talking about? It's one of those things that happens 2 or 3 times in the winter and no way will the Service Center repeat the problem.