Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Barebone $35,000 Features

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
50KW battery with option for 75
FWD with D option
15" screen
Center console with normal cup holders
Door storage pockets
Steel body
No falcon wing doors
Seating for 5
Heated front seats with winter option
Sedan (not hatchback)

I think there will be a tease for the crossover on the same platform with 3rd row seating and falcons. I think the falcons are mostly for access to the 3rd row. I predict the Model 3 will be a sedan so falcons are out.

I don't see how you can have a 3rd row on a car that will be 20% smaller than the Model S. The Model S "third row" is for the RFS only, and it's tight back there, I don't think you'd comfortable fit 2 adults shoulder-to-shoulder (let's forget the height issue).

Make the platform 20% smaller, and... no way.

Includes my comment in red:
50KW battery with option for 75 - minimum 55kWh battery, probably 60kWh. Option for 70 or 75.
FWD with D option - No real reason to have FWD in an EV. TM3 will not compete direct with Bolt/Leaf.
15" screen - ✅
Center console with normal cup holders - ✅
Door storage pockets - ✅
Steel body - Steel and aluminium, maybe some plastic/fibre also?
No falcon wing doors - ✅ - Falcon Wings are for the Model Y
Seating for 5 - ✅
Heated front seats with winter option - Heated front seats. Heated back seats with the "cold weather option"
Sedan (not hatchback) - ✅ - or "Sedan" - 5 doors with liftback/fastback just like TMS.

I don't see how you can have a 3rd row on a car that will be 20% smaller than the Model S. The Model S "third row" is for the RFS only, and it's tight back there, I don't think you'd comfortable fit 2 adults shoulder-to-shoulder (let's forget the height issue).

Make the platform 20% smaller, and... no way.

The RAV4 comes with a third row option. I think the Tesla crossover might do falcons for that sort of car, but it is plain stupid for a econobox Model 3.

But isn't that what the HPWC is for?

So you're suggesting including a HPWC with the Model 3, instead of a UMC, with the HPWC costing more than a UMC, to reduce the cost of the Model 3? I'm confused.

You have to include a way for the person to charge, I just don't see Tesla selling the car without a UMC. That's like selling you an ICE with a key on the gas tank, and saying that in order to get the key you have to pay an extra $650 on top of the price of the car.

- - - Updated - - -

The RAV4 comes with a third row option. I think the Tesla crossover might do falcons for that sort of car, but it is plain stupid for a econobox Model 3.

RAV4 is about 10% bigger than the projected Model 3 (length x width, height aside)

Model S is 196"x77" = 15,092 sq inches
Model 3 is 20% smaller = 12,073 sq inches
Rav 4 is 181"x73" = 13,213 sq inches

I still don't see how you can have a 3rd row in a car that's 20% smaller than the S, even in a CUV style car. I'm not saying it wont happen, I'm saying I don't see it.

The base model Model ≡ is going to be on par with the BMW 320i. AWD will be a $5,000 option (this I know from a credible source—everything that follows is my own speculation). Adding supercharging will likely add $1,500-$2,500. Same goes for a leather interior. 17-inch wheels standard. Expect a non-panoramic sunroof for an additional $1,500. If Toyota can give their $25,000 2016 Prius base model LED headlights standard, I can't imagine why Tesla couldn't follow suit. Navigation will likely require smartphone integration—no complimentary 3G service. Streamlined, albeit conventional door handles. A premium package that includes a power liftgate and heated seats for $1,500. The Autopilot hardware is unlikely going to be standard, making it even more expensive than on the Model S (just for fun, let's say $3,500). As for the battery pack, I'm assuming Tesla has eked out every mile—from the smallest pack possible—at the cost of performace. Just to give myself a sense of hope, I'll say the AWD model includes a larger battery pack. 45 and 60kWh are the figures that I see thrown around the most. This leaves us with a base model with a 45kWh battery for the advertised $35,000 that will *nearly* meet the promised 200-mile range in EPA testing. Fully loaded, by my estimates, the Model ≡ 60D will be $48,000-$50,000.

The base model Model ≡ is going to be on par with the BMW 320i. AWD will be a $5,000 option (this I know from a credible source—everything that follows is my own speculation). Adding supercharging will likely add $1,500-$2,500. Same goes for a leather interior. 17-inch wheels standard. Expect a non-panoramic sunroof for an additional $1,500. If Toyota can give their $25,000 2016 Prius base model LED headlights standard, I can't imagine why Tesla couldn't follow suit. Navigation will likely require smartphone integration—no complimentary 3G service. Streamlined, albeit conventional door handles. A premium package that includes a power liftgate and heated seats for $1,500. The Autopilot hardware is unlikely going to be standard, making it even more expensive than on the Model S (just for fun, let's say $3,500). As for the battery pack, I'm assuming Tesla has eked out every mile—from the smallest pack possible—at the cost of performace. Just to give myself a sense of hope, I'll say the AWD model includes a larger battery pack. 45 and 60kWh are the figures that I see thrown around the most. This leaves us with a base model with a 45kWh battery for the advertised $35,000 that will *nearly* meet the promised 200-mile range in EPA testing. Fully loaded, by my estimates, the Model ≡ 60D will be $48,000-$50,000.

The Auto-Pilot hardware will be standard, I think it is necessary for the AEB feature. (Which is required isn't it?)

3G/4G will be standard, that is how Tesla sends updates, gets status/error information, and how the Auto-Pilot fleet-learning works.

Expect the power liftgate to be included in a premium interior package that costs ~$3,000. (Just like the Model S)

Don't expect to be able to nickel and dime your options, there are likely to be just a handful of option packages. (This will be part of the cost savings, as it is easier/cheaper/faster to build them if every car isn't different.)

Last edited:
The Auto-Pilot hardware will be standard, I think it is necessary for the AEB feature. (Which is required isn't it?)

3G/4G will be standard, that is how Tesla sends updates, gets status/error information, and how the Auto-Pilot fleet-learning works.

Expect leather seats to be included in a premium interior package that costs ~$3,000, that includes the power liftgate. (Just like the Model S)

Don't expect to be able to nickel and dime your options, there are likely to be just a handful of option packages. (This will be part of the cost savings, as it is easier/cheaper/faster to build them if every car isn't different.)

Agree with the Autopilot hardware being standard. They are going for ease of assembly, as well as AEB feature, so why would they have a run of cars with the HW and without it?

4G will be standard. You can get it on lower GM models these days. Remember, this is the 1st Tesla "dipping into" other makers' markets, they're going to have to play ball here and there.

So you're suggesting including a HPWC with the Model 3, instead of a UMC, with the HPWC costing more than a UMC, to reduce the cost of the Model 3? I'm confused.

You have to include a way for the person to charge, I just don't see Tesla selling the car without a UMC. That's like selling you an ICE with a key on the gas tank, and saying that in order to get the key you have to pay an extra $650 on top of the price of the car.
It's not too much of a stretch actually, although I think physicalfita is confusing UMC and HPWC.
Most of the other EVs do not come with 220/240V charge option, most come with a 110V EVSE and requiring the owner to install an L2 EVSE for faster charges.
The UMC is way more complex than a basic 110V only device.
Making a cheaper version that was just for emergencies/trickle charge may be an option.
Face it, getting the 220/240 40amp line run is a much more significant cost than the EVSE itself.

So you are thinking that instead of providing the cheaper UMC with the Model 3 that they are going to give you a HPWC?

The car has to come with a way to charge it, and the UMC is currently the cheapest option.
I'm guessing that it might come with neither -- sort of like how no car ever seems to come with floor mats standard. It would be a way to reduce the sticker price. I don't know if Tesla would try something like that, but it was a thought that occurred to me.

EDIT: Twiglett beat me to it, and summarized my thinking much better:
It's not too much of a stretch actually, although I think physicalfita is confusing UMC and HPWC.
Most of the other EVs do not come with 220/240V charge option, most come with a 110V EVSE and requiring the owner to install an L2 EVSE for faster charges.
The UMC is way more complex than a basic 110V only device.
Making a cheaper version that was just for emergencies/trickle charge may be an option.
Face it, getting the 220/240 40amp line run is a much more significant cost than the EVSE itself.

I'm guessing that it might come with neither -- sort of like how no car ever seems to come with floor mats standard. It would be a way to reduce the sticker price. I don't know if Tesla would try something like that, but it was a thought that occurred to me.

But you don't really need floor mats. You absolutely need a way to charge. It's more like selling a car without tires included.