Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Base Features Required to Seal the Deal on the Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually Tesla has "stated as fact" that you must order the air suspension with the tow package. That is all we know right now and that Musk has promised that the T3 will offer a tow package.
Where? All we know is that Elon has promised a tow package on the Model 3, and on the Model X requires SAS for its tow package. I'd be happy to admit I'm wrong if you can link me to somewhere that has said the Model 3 will also require SAS for tow package.

Actually Tesla has "stated as fact" that you must order the air suspension with the tow package. That is all we know right now and that Musk has promised that the T3 will offer a tow package.

Post a link to where "Musk has promised that the T3 will offer a tow package." or where he has ever said anything about a T3. If you cannot do so stop claiming it,

Also, stop stating as fact that what applies to one car will apply to another unless you can provide a link to an official statement.

In other words stop making things up.

Wrong, as noted by @JeffK, Elon Musk was talking about Tesla's next car, the Model 3. You continue to make up things You are a troll.

As a side note, No one at Tesla has ever been quoted as saying that in order to get the towing package on the Model 3, air suspension will be required. Your continuing claims to the contrary are evidence that you should be ignored because either you don't understand the difference between your assumptions and facts or that you are troll.

At present I vote troll.

Note to the moderator, I recognize that this post at least borders on a personal attack. @EaglesPDX's continuing violation of the forum guidance to " Don’t try to state opinions as fact and be careful to distinguish between the two." is driving me nuts. I know I should be a better person and just ignore it and I promise to do better in the future.

You continue to make up things.

Chuckle...now now you are just angry and embarrassed that you huffily demanded a link where Tesla said T3 would have a tow package and got it. Be careful what you ask for.

Elon Musk on Twitter

As a side note, No one at Tesla has ever been quoted as saying that in order to get the towing package on the Model 3, air suspension will be required.

Tesla does say it on the Tesla website on the only Tesla that offers the two package in which case Tesla requires the air suspension system.

Suspension systems are key to a vehicles tow rating to handle the tongue weight of the trailer among other things.

Since the T3 is more a version of the TS with its six inch ground clearance vs. the TX's eight inch (both adjustable with air suspension) air suspension would be essential on the T3 with the tow package.

I'm hoping for a 5,000# tow rating on the T3 but suspect Tesla will be conservative and go with a 2500-3000# range. Hatchback (Musks response T3 buyers to make the trunk opening bigger to match the TS's hatchback) and towing package go a long way to making the T3 more of the "people's car" Tesla envisioned for the T3. Good to see Tesla responding to the T3 customer base.

Reactions: Fiver
Chuckle...now now you are just angry and embarrassed that you huffily demanded a link where Tesla said T3 would have a tow package and got it. Be careful what you ask for.

Elon Musk on Twitter

Tesla does say it on the Tesla website on the only Tesla that offers the two package in which case Tesla requires the air suspension system.

Suspension systems are key to a vehicles tow rating to handle the tongue weight of the trailer among other things.

Since the T3 is more a version of the TS with its six inch ground clearance vs. the TX's eight inch (both adjustable with air suspension) air suspension would be essential on the T3 with the tow package.

I'm hoping for a 5,000# tow rating on the T3 but suspect Tesla will be conservative and go with a 2500-3000# range. Hatchback (Musks response T3 buyers to make the trunk opening bigger to match the TS's hatchback) and towing package go a long way to making the T3 more of the "people's car" Tesla envisioned for the T3. Good to see Tesla responding to the T3 customer base.

No you evidently can't read. Musk never ever said anything about a T3. You lie when you say he does.

Tesla never said that the Model 3 will require air suspension to get the tow package. I YOU assume it will and claim it as fact.

I never asked for a link where Tesla said the Model 3 would get a towing package. I asked for a link where Tesla said a T3 would need air suspension to get a towing package.

Tesla has nothing to do with anything called a T3. You make stuff up. You are deluded.

You are a troll.

Last edited:
Reactions: alseTrick
I didn't realize Elon said the 3 was going to now have a hatchback.

Great news. But it will be a small hatchback but it will fix what many have called one of the T3's 'design flaws"

In fact, Jalopnik went so far as to call the the trunk the Model 3’s “biggest design fail.” “Look at that vertical, awkward opening,” Jalopnik writes.”It’s the compromised trunk opening of a car that’s designed to have a hatchback, but for some random reason, couldn’t. It’s a sad compromise trunk at best.”

Mike Thorp @MThorpXXi

This Is The Tesla Model 3's Biggest Design Fail @elonmusk http://jalopnik.com/this-is-the-tesla-model-3s-biggest-design-fail-1768467573 …

Follow
Elon Musk @elonmusk

@MThorpXXi We are working on enlarging the opening. Aperture will be big enough for almost anything.

12:20 AM - 6 Apr 2016
JJVHNXj.jpg

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/717612929214849024

For me:
1. I will go for the big battery option which i hope gives minimum 400 KM real range (at around 110km/h). My commute is 170 Km oneway with no destination charging available but SuC on the way.
2. Supercharger as a flatrate for life (as a buy option during configuration)
3. for the rest i trust in tesla for various nice options ;-)

If they do change it to a hatchback, it will probably sell more in Europe.

And US, most of the complaints about the hatchback car without the hatchback were from US buyers and media. US motorists are evolving and getting more Euro in perspective in cars. Hatchback and the tow option features promised by Musk fit that evolution and make the T3 much more capable as the only family car.

The drawing for the T3 hatchback notes it affects rear view but I wonder what the cost would be to simply use the existing back up camera to put a rear view on rear view "mirror", converting it from a mirror to screen? This would also work better as a back up camera as one would have one's head up viewing and having the side mirrors in peripheral vision while backing up. Also one could load up the trunk without losing the rear view "mirror". Trickiest part is keeping backup rear view camera clear in bad weather.

Then again maybe not so tricky.

Last edited:
One of the main reasons people get a hatchback is not for the styling, it's for the added storage. This is partially solved by the frunk space (still won't work for some weird bulky items) and completely solved in the Model X. For anything bigger you'd need a different solution like a pickup truck.

Let look at the best selling cars in Europe the Volkswagen Golf and the Ford Fiesta.

Golf:
22.8 ft³, 52.7 ft³ with seat area

Fiesta:
10.1 to 14.9 ft³, 25.4 ft³ with seat area

Now let's look at the Model S
31.6 ft³, 63.4 ft³ with seat area

Now granted the Model S is a much larger car there's still hope for the Model 3 even if the opening isn't that wide.

One of the main reasons people get a hatchback is not for the styling, it's for the added storage. This is partially solved by the frunk space (still won't work for some weird bulky items)

"Weird" items like furniture, sports equipment, strollers, home repair, pets...all those weird things that weird people "store" in their car.

It appears Musk/Tesla has responded to one of the biggest customer demands and made the T3 a hatchback per the drawings above. That along with promised tow option, now all we need is confirmation of the 250 mile range option and the deal is sealed.

One of other "weird" things the proposed T3 hatchback will do is same as my Prius, create a cover so I can sit on the back and put my ski boots on out of the snow.

Reactions: alseTrick
It appears Musk/Tesla has responded to one of the biggest customer demands and made the T3 a hatchback per the drawings above.
On the contrary the drawing does not show a Tesla Model 3 hatchback. Instead it shows the compromises made which resulted in a smaller trunk to begin with. Headroom is a necessity, and visibility is a necessity.