Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Base Features Required to Seal the Deal on the Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So where/when did Elon say the 3 was being changed to a hatchback?
He didn't. He's made two tweets on the subject. One shortly after reveal saying they're working on [improving the trunk opening], and one in the last week or two saying "It's already resolved" (or fixed or something). @EaglesPDX is assuming this means it has been changed to a hatchback. I highly doubt it. More likely they've made minor tweaks to make the opening larger (possibly including the tail light assemblies in the opening portion of the trunk).

"Weird" items like furniture, sports equipment, strollers, home repair, pets...all those weird things that weird people "store" in their car. It appears Musk/Tesla has responded to one of the biggest customer demands and made the T3 a hatchback per the drawings above. That along with promised tow option, now all we need is confirmation of the 250 mile range option and the deal is sealed.

One of other "weird" things the proposed T3 hatchback will do is same as my Prius, create a cover so I can sit on the back and put my ski boots on out of the snow.

Stick with your Prius hatchback ... clearly the Model 3 is not the right car for you. :cool:

Stick with your Prius hatchback ... clearly the Model 3 is not the right car for you.

Too late, already moved on to a 2015 Subaru Legacy with the Eyesight tech so I can practice for Autopilot. I try for a new car every three years but I can wait a couple more for the T3, though if Musk pulls off the 500,000 by 2018, I'll have it in three years.

With the small hatchback per the drawing, the towing option with air suspension, 250 mile range and about 20kWh a day in excess solar power, a 100 mile a day commute I'd say the T3 is perfect for me. I won't need to borrow neighbors truck to go to Ikea or HomeDepot, I can at least tow my boat trailer, at best tow the boat and trailer. The AWD will be great for skiing (30 days a year).

It's great Musk has listened to the customers on the hatchback and towing issues. So far he is sealing the deal with T3 features. Think of it as one small hatch for mankind.

Now if Plugless can get its T3 model out before I take delivery, future will be so bright I'll have to wear shades.

Last edited:
Too late, already moved on to a 2015 Subaru Legacy with the Eyesight tech so I can practice for Autopilot. I try for a new car every three years but I can wait a couple more for the T3, though if Musk pulls off the 500,000 by 2018, I'll have it in three years.

With the "small" hatchback in the drawing, the towing option with air suspension, 250 mile range and about 20kWh a day in excess solar power, a 100 mile a day commute I'd say the T3 is perfect for me. I won't need to borrow neighbors truck to go to Ikea or HomeDepot, I can at least tow my boat trailer, at best tow the boat and trailer. The AWD will be great for skiing (30 days a year).

It's great Musk has listened to the customers on the hatchback and towing issues. So far he is sealing the deal with T3 features.

Now if Plugless can get its T3 model out before I take delivery, future will be so bright I'll have to wear shades.

I think I'm done reading your troll posts. Blocking now.... Where at least everyone else knows what to call the car.

Last edited:
Great news. But it will be a small hatchback but it will fix what many have called one of the T3's 'design flaws"

In fact, Jalopnik went so far as to call the the trunk the Model 3’s “biggest design fail.” “Look at that vertical, awkward opening,” Jalopnik writes.”It’s the compromised trunk opening of a car that’s designed to have a hatchback, but for some random reason, couldn’t. It’s a sad compromise trunk at best.”

Mike Thorp @MThorpXXi

This Is The Tesla Model 3's Biggest Design Fail @elonmusk http://jalopnik.com/this-is-the-tesla-model-3s-biggest-design-fail-1768467573 …

Follow
Elon Musk @elonmusk

@MThorpXXi We are working on enlarging the opening. Aperture will be big enough for almost anything.

12:20 AM - 6 Apr 2016
JJVHNXj.jpg
Your post is very misleading. Nowhere did Elon say in those tweets he will make the Model 3 a hatchback. He did say he will make the trunk opening larger.
Also the illustration posted is from April by BGR (doesn't appear to be by Tesla), shortly after the unveiling. It shows the reasoning Tesla chose to go with a trunk.

Reactions: callmesam
I can at least tow my boat trailer, at best tow the boat and trailer.
Wuuuuuuut?!?! Besides the apparent uselessness of towing the boat trailer without the boat, how are you planning to get the boat off the trailer -- without towing them together to the lake -- in order to tow the trailer without the boat?! Maybe you're thinking Elon is going to throw in a crane as an optional feature?? Hmm... Which one of his tweets are you going to misconstrue to mean that?

Which one of his tweets are you going to misconstrue to mean that?

Musk seemed very clear.

1. Towing option will be included in T3
2. Opening expanded to hatchback dimensions.

Interesting that Musk responded quickly to these two issues from many customers but a handful on this forum take issue with Musk and with a large number of buyers, sufficiently large that Musk has stated he will modify the current design to suit them.

Musk 2. TMC Toilers 0.

He didn't. He's made two tweets on the subject. One shortly after reveal saying they're working on [improving the trunk opening], and one in the last week or two saying "It's already resolved" (or fixed or something). @EaglesPDX is assuming this means it has been changed to a hatchback. I highly doubt it. More likely they've made minor tweaks to make the opening larger (possibly including the tail light assemblies in the opening portion of the trunk).

Oh, I know that. But I want to hear PDX say it.

Where does this mention the trunk has been changed to a hatch?
Elon Musk on Twitter

I'd consider the TS a hatchback. Musk said he made the T3 trunk opening much bigger which means he had to move the hinge up. I'm sure myself and the majority of T3 buyers who asked for it, will call it a hatchback and those who feel the initial T3 design was virgin birth and untouchable will say nothing changed and its still a trunk. Not sure there's a scripture anywhere that says at what point it's a trunk or a hatchback in my case fitting the power washer will be that point or if the back seats don't go down, fitting in the 2-4 sets of skis.

I'd consider the TS a hatchback. Musk said he made the T3 trunk opening much bigger which means he had to move the hinge up. I'm sure myself and the majority of T3 buyers who asked for it, will call it a hatchback and those who feel the initial T3 design was virgin birth and untouchable will say nothing changed and its still a trunk. Not sure there's a scripture anywhere that says at what point it's a trunk or a hatchback in my case fitting the power washer will be that point or if the back seats don't go down, fitting in the 2-4 sets of skis.
Now you are going to the extreme of redefining what hatchback means? A hatchback must have the rear window open with the hinge (AKA it must have a rear door, not simply a rear trunk). Simply moving the trunk hinge higher will not change a car to a hatchback.

You are also setting up a strawman. It is possible to want a larger trunk opening without asking for a hatchback. The tweets in question specifically asked for a larger trunk opening and Elon responded as such. He didn't respond affirmatively to a tweet that asked for a hatchback nor did he ever imply he will change the car to be a hatchback. Multiple people have pointed this out to you, but you keep ignoring this point. You are either being intentionally misleading or you are letting your wishful thinking go too far.

Changing the shape the trunk lid, making longer and hinging further up the car room similar to the TS which is a hatchback will also make the T3 a hatchback, the hatchback most users want and to whom Musk responded.
You did not answer my question.

Also,

You can see why that would not work.

I do not see why that wouldn't work. Please elaborate.