Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Base Features Required to Seal the Deal on the Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If there's not a PPU option for supercharging I will cancel my order. I'm not paying $2000 for an option that I might use five times in my life and I won't buy the car if I can't take it on road trips once or twice because I didn't pay an extra $2000 fee.

I'm not interested in free supercharging. I'm happy to pay for it but there has to be more than one option of a huge upfront cost that will never be recouped.

That is my only must have.

I love seeing all of these posts.

I just wish everyone holding their breath and stomping their feet was ahead of me in line.

I just wish everyone holding their breath and stomping their feet was ahead of me in line.

I'm not holding my breath nor stomping my feet. I haven't canceled my order yet because I believe there are a lot of smart people at Tesla and I believe they'll come up with a solution between now and when I have to design my car.

If they don't, you can gladly have my spot in line as I will be cancelling and buying something else.

LMAO. Unfortunately all of the whiners won't cancel their reservations when push comes to shove. Even without including all the goodies at $35k us, where can you find a better deal?The good news is that if they do 'settle' on a base car we'll get ours before them.

I know a lot of people are stretching to spend that much money on that small a vehicle. Wives I have surveyed roll their eyes - maybe because they wonder how this Model 3 expense is going to improve family life. What features have to be in the base model for Tesla to seal the deal on a large fraction of deposits? Here are a few thoughts:
1) Leather Seats
2) 5 kW Hands free, clutter free, galvanically isolated charger that will run off two 30 amp 110 V circuit breakers (or 10 kW off two 30 amp 220V circuit breakers)
3) Self driving on trained routes [Elon mentioned this as a first step. So the idea is trained routes are standard (no lane changes). Lane changing and full self driving are extra. The idea here is to win over the safety minded part of the family with , kind of, compulsory exercises, before pulling any brinksman like activities.]
4) As quiet as a Chevy truck at 70 mph (63 dB) or an Audi A4. (I would prefer 53dB so the rear seat passengers would not have to raise their voice to be heard.)
5) Steering that is not numb.

This demonstrates: 1) Fair deal for a $35K car, 2) Neatness, convenience and safety => harmony, 3) Safety each time one leaves for work fatigued, 4) Conversations where at least the front seat passengers are included, and 5) developed neural connections between hands and brain => improved eye hand coordination and higher social status as surgeons will drive them.

What base features are required to seal the deal for you?
I think a free pony would be nice.
(I don't think you're going to get leather or self driving in the base model or hands free charging or 53 db in any model.
I don't have a clue what you mean by "numb" steering unless you're referring to the driver.)

• Funny
Reactions: GSP and jsanford
I expect no more and no less than Tesla promised when I reserved the vehicle. 215 miles per charge and seating for 5 adults. Everything else I expect to have to pay for. Some I will (dual motor), some I might (pano, bigger battery, hitch), some I probably won't (performance model, full auto-pilot, super fancy wheels)

Reactions: melindav
You can't honestly think wanting a pay per use option for supercharging is whining. People who are actually willing to pay their fair share for their own use are being ridiculed.

o_O

I'm buying the max range battery, so as long as they keep the pricing model the same vis a vis Supercharger access, it's not a dilemma I'll have to worry about.

I'm not going to get into my thoughts on the Supercharging pay model, because....and I hate to have to say this again...

THERE ARE ALREADY 20 THREADS ON IT FROM LAST WEEK.

ZOMG TEH SOOPERCHARGURZ IZN'T FREE!! I WILL KANSIL MY ORDIR!!!!!

*yawn*

?..at $35k us, where can you find a better deal?

I think that is it. It is the transaction price. $35K is out of the budget. It sort of does not matter how many features you add, unless they make a significant difference in child development, if the transaction price is too high. There is not enough money in the car envelope and you have to find another envelope to transfer money from. A lot of people buy used cars... I see two methods for Musk/Tesla fans without that much cash in the envelope:

1. Ship all production from now until the Model 3 is released outside the U.S. Call it priming the markets. Then ship 375,000 cars in 3 quarters to the US.
  2. Offer a version that is half a pack light, with the ability to add that half a pack later, for a lower cost.
Thank you for helping me understand that it is an envelope problem, not a features problem.

I'm buying the max range battery, so as long as they keep the pricing model the same vis a vis Supercharger access, it's not a dilemma I'll have to worry about.

I'm not going to get into my thoughts on the Supercharging pay model, because....and I hate to have to say this again...

THERE ARE ALREADY 20 THREADS ON IT FROM LAST WEEK.

ZOMG TEH SOOPERCHARGURZ IZN'T FREE!! I WILL KANSIL MY ORDIR!!!!!

*yawn*

Except that last part isn't what I was saying.

There is a fairly logical and reasonable discussion for both "sides" to make. A lot of people are refusing to do just that, though.

I'll reiterate my point before moving on. When somebody is actually willing to pay for their fair share of services used and is asking for the opportunity to do as such, they should not be called a "whiner". Calling them that doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

Except that last part isn't what I was saying.

There is a fairly logical and reasonable discussion for both "sides" to make. A lot of people are refusing to do just that, though.

I'll reiterate my point before moving on. When somebody is actually willing to pay for their fair share of services used and is asking for the opportunity to do as such, they should not be called a "whiner". Calling them that doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

run the numbers, once we have them.

if they go to a PPU model, at what point will "pre-paid" be more cost-effective than "PPU"? don't trick yourself into thinking that NOT spending $2,000 up front is more cost effective than being nickel and dimed for $3,000 over the life of the car.

Maybe it's not "whining", but from the various threads, people are scaring themselves with that "big" number. do some math, do what makes sense for you.

for me, even if i didn't do road trips, the smaller battery with PPU still wouldn't make sense, because some of the places I'll be going are probably "dicey" to get to on a small battery in less than ideal conditions.

So I'll get the big battery and hopefully Supercharging is included in that upgrade

Reactions: GSP and ZAKEEUS
I think that is it. It is the transaction price. $35K is out of the budget. It sort of does not matter how many features you add, unless they make a significant difference in child development, if the transaction price is too high. There is not enough money in the car envelope and you have to find another envelope to transfer money from. A lot of people buy used cars... I see two methods for Musk/Tesla fans without that much cash in the envelope:

1. Ship all production from now until the Model 3 is released outside the U.S. Call it priming the markets. Then ship 375,000 cars in 3 quarters to the US.
  2. Offer a version that is half a pack light, with the ability to add that half a pack later, for a lower cost.
Thank you for helping me understand that it is an envelope problem, not a features problem.

..or wait for the rumored 4th gen Tesla that will be ~$20,000.

but that might be another 4 or 5 years out.

Reactions: melindav
If there's not a PPU option for supercharging I will cancel my order. I'm not paying $2000 for an option that I might use five times in my life and I won't buy the car if I can't take it on road trips once or twice because I didn't pay an extra $2000 fee.
It is clear to me, based on what Elon and JB said at the recent Tesla shareholders meeting, that the Model 3 will allow for PPU Supercharging and their will be an option for "free for life" Supercharging.

• 215 miles Range per charge

• Under 6 seconds Zero to 60 mph

• Seating for 5 Adults

• Designed to achieve
    5-Star Safety Rating

• Autopilot Hardware

• Supercharging
That seems reasonable enough for me.

Perfect list. The other stuff I'm hoping for on the base model is:

- a reasonable/adequate stereo system
- decent looking 17-18" wheels
- the same dark headliner option that's available on the model S now. Which is free now?
- sunglass storage/cup holders
- decent looking comfortable textile seats

Standard toyota corolla kinda stuff I think

run the numbers, once we have them.

if they go to a PPU model, at what point will "pre-paid" be more cost-effective than "PPU"? don't trick yourself into thinking that NOT spending $2,000 up front is more cost effective than being nickel and dimed for $3,000 over the life of the car.

Maybe it's not "whining", but from the various threads, people are scaring themselves with that "big" number. do some math, do what makes sense for you.

for me, even if i didn't do road trips, the smaller battery with PPU still wouldn't make sense, because some of the places I'll be going are probably "dicey" to get to on a small battery in less than ideal conditions.

So I'll get the big battery and hopefully Supercharging is included in that upgrade

HEY-O! I think that's exactly what people are doing. Most of the people saying they prefer the pay per use method are saying they don't do frequent road trips or long distance driving. I think from a business standpoint, Tesla needs to accommodate multiple segments of their potential consumer base in order to grow their actual customer base. But whatever pay per use or pre pay method they choose - should they go that route - will obviously be one that isn't cost prohibitive for them and makes financial sense. Like with ANY purchase, people have to weigh their options.

I'd rather do some type of pay per use. But I've said I'd rather pay $5,000 RIGHT NOW to have free supercharging for life (my life, not the vehicle's) than pay $2,000 for free supercharging for the length of time I own my Model 3. I'm 30. If I pay that $5,000 now, I'm going to be a Tesla lifer* to make sure I get my money's worth. I think that's ANOTHER option Tesla should consider. (And if they were to make that offer but offer it at $10,000 or whatever, then I'd have to make another decision. But the point I think is important, is that Tesla should offer some type of option for the supercharging option.)

*Tesla lifer = only purchasing Teslas for the rest of my life and encouraging friends and family to do the same (I'm already doing that!)

Last edited:
There are other options than PPU and PP4L.

How about 10 hrs of Supercharging per year for 5 years standard in base model?

Or enough juice to travel from LA to NY and back over the first 5 years of ownership?

Subsequently, 10 hrs of charging for $150? Other packages?

PPU really focuses the mind on kWh/$. Whether you are Supercharging alone or on a shared supercharger. What the the current charging rate is and getting people very upset. On top the transaction cost for Tesla.

I think Tesla killing "free supercharging for life" on base Model 3 is to avoid people buying a base Model 3,driving over 25k miles per year and have 80% of that be on Superchargers.

Demanding something on the base Model 3(like leather) that is not on the base Model S is kinda silly.

Elon already said AP safety features standard and AP convenience features an extra cost option.

Tesla is not going to redesign the interior to allow space for conventional gauges or Model S type gauges. Best to let that demand/hope go. It is going to be something cost effective( because they are 86ing conventional gauges not adding to them) and something many might consider gimmicky or fancy.

Despite Elon's mea culpa about hubris on Model X he firmly believes EVs need to have something extra, something that surprises and delights in order for large numbers of people to move from ICEv to BEV.

HEY-O! I think that's exactly what people are doing. Most of the people saying they prefer the pay per use method are saying they don't do frequent road trips or long distance driving. I think from a business standpoint, Tesla needs to accommodate multiple segments of their potential consumer base in order to grow their actual customer base. But whatever pay per use or pre pay method they choose - should they go that route - will obviously be one that isn't cost prohibitive for them and makes financial sense. Like with ANY purchase, people have to weigh their options.

I'd rather do some type of pay per use. But I've said I'd rather pay $5,000 RIGHT NOW to have free supercharging for life (my life, not the vehicle's) than pay $2,000 for free supercharging for the length of time I own my Model 3. I'm 30. If I pay that $5,000 now, I'm going to be a Tesla lifer* to make sure I get my money's worth. I think that's ANOTHER option Tesla should consider. (And if they were to make that offer but offer it at $10,000 or whatever, then I'd have to make another decision. But the point I think is important, is that Tesla should offer some type of option for the supercharging option.)

*Tesla lifer = only purchasing Teslas for the rest of my life and encouraging friends and family to do the same (I'm already doing that!)

That's just it....we don't know what we don't know.

What will be the PPU cost? What will be the "break even point" between "buying in" and PPU?

your plan of paying $5,000 for YOUR life is intriguing. It would certainly build brand loyalty.

Although I suppose it would get a little morbid for older folks calculating if it's worth it....LOL

There are other options than PPU and PP4L.

How about 10 hrs of Supercharging per year for 5 years standard in base model?

Or enough juice to travel from LA to NY and back over the first 5 years of ownership?

Subsequently, 10 hrs of charging for $150? Other packages?

PPU really focuses the mind on kWh/$. Whether you are Supercharging alone or on a shared supercharger. What the the current charging rate is and getting people very upset. On top the transaction cost for Tesla.

I think Tesla killing "free supercharging for life" on base Model 3 is to avoid people buying a base Model 3,driving over 25k miles per year and have 80% of that be on Superchargers.

Demanding something on the base Model 3(like leather) that is not on the base Model S is kinda silly.

Elon already said AP safety features standard and AP convenience features an extra cost option.

Tesla is not going to redesign the interior to allow space for conventional gauges or Model S type gauges. Best to let that demand/hope go. It is going to be something cost effective( because they are 86ing conventional gauges not adding to them) and something many might consider gimmicky or fancy.

Despite Elon's mea culpa about hubris on Model X he firmly believes EVs need to have something extra, something that surprises and delights in order for large numbers of people to move from ICEv to BEV.
I kinda like this option. For me I will mostly charge at home but would certainly be willing to pay PPU or some hours per year option. If it was pay $2000 or you can't use chargers I would be forced to pay up. But I don't see tesla doing that anyway.
If they did something like "10 hrs of Supercharging per year for 5 years standard in base model" it would work for me.

Reactions: DavidP