Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Base Features Required to Seal the Deal on the Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Personally only these.

- Over 200 miles
- Some way to pay for supercharging that doesn't cost thousands of $
- Rear backup camera (which is about to become mandatory ?)
- Bluetooth
- Heated seats

It would be good if the base model has similar features as a base Leaf or Volt or BMW 3 series - these would help sell the car.

I kinda like this option. For me I will mostly charge at home but would certainly be willing to pay PPU or some hours per year option. If it was pay $2000 or you can't use chargers I would be forced to pay up. But I don't see tesla doing that anyway.
If they did something like "10 hrs of Supercharging per year for 5 years standard in base model" it would work for me.

How about first 21 days free, to get the home charger installed and to form a habit.

Things I don't have at the moment.

1. Air-conditioning.
2. Height adjustable passenger seat.
3. Automatic electric windows for all doors.
4. Mirror on passenger sun visor.

Thing I do have which is a bonus for carrying long things.
1. Foldable front passenger seat.
2. Foldable rear seats.

Things I don't have at the moment.

1. Air-conditioning.
2. Height adjustable passenger seat.
3. Automatic electric windows for all doors.
4. Mirror on passenger sun visor.

Thing I do have which is a bonus for carrying long things.
1. Foldable front passenger seat.
2. Foldable rear seats.

Do you NEED a/c in the UK? Or are you including the heater as part of the a/c?

Do you NEED a/c in the UK? Or are you including the heater as part of the a/c?

I was thinking I would need it for the HEPA system. Every time I use the car I seem to be stuck behind an old diesel bus. So even though I could cool easily with windows down I would prefer them closed in traffic. The problem with recirculating the air without a/c is if the air is hot inside the car it has little effect.

But you are right we don't get the heat or humidity you get in Florida.

Is the heater that heats the S and X a different part to the a/c then? Would I be able to control the climate of the car without a/c?

I just want extended battery range and I am fine with PPU. I live in FL so if they had seat coolers instead of warmers that would be best for me. The only thing I am stuck on is if the pano roof will really work or if I need to go with the metal roof, that sun is brutal and summer being here is fully reminding me. I am 6' 3" so I am a little worried about the height difference between the two.

To seal the deal on a base Model 3? Whatever Elon gives me. Shut up and take my money! I'm anxious about the dashboard, but will take it as a compromise for getting the rest of the amazing vehicle. I don't care about the trunk/hatchback argument. Things can be left in the trunk of my current vehicle for months, completely forgotten.

Options I will be getting:
  • Dual motor/AWD
  • Glass roof
  • Standard sized wheels
  • AutoPilot
Options that depend on how I like them in the X I have ordered (X is family car, 3 will be mine):
  • Winter package
  • Upgraded stereo
  • Premium package
  • Air suspension
Options that depend on the state of my finances at the time:
  • Leather seats (I typically don't care for my car - don't need them to be easily cleanable, and I'm not much of a guy to by flashy for flashy's sake. of course, my mind may be made up for me if I decide to get premium package, and it's included)
  • Larger battery (won't need it for road trips, since we'll likely take the X instead)
  • Supercharging for life (if it's $500, sure, throw it in; $1000? dunno. $2000; probably not)
  • High amperage charger (again, more of a commuter car, so quick charges won't really be necessary)
  • Performance and/or Ludicrous (finances will have to be looking very good for these)
And then the odd man out. Tow Package. I really have no idea. I tow periodically with our current family vehicle, but never even wished I had it on my commuter car. But mostly cause what compact sedan could ever hope to be a decent tow vehicle?

Options that depend on how I like them in the X I have ordered (X is family car, 3 will be mine

For most people, the T3 will be the family car. So being able to do the practical stuff is important.

1. Hatchback and folding rear seats to pick stuff up from grocery store, HomeDepot or Ikea.
2. Kid seat latches and fit in the back seat.

Can you go to the grocery store with three kids in the backseat and put all the groceries in back. Drop the family off and go to HomeDepot for lumber to fix the deck. Hitch up the travel trailer and go camping. A family car?

It doesn't look like Tesla aimed for the family car in the T3. Tesla's glass roof obsession means no hatchback which likely means no trip to the grocery store or HomeDepot. Glass roof is also a security issue. Everything visible for thieves. Going from a Prius to a Subaru Legacy sedan, I realized how useful the hatchback and folding seats were and how the trunk only is not much use. Wish Tesla had aimed more for a family wagon vs. a smaller model S.

An actual deal breaker for me would be if the T3 did not have a trunk pass through 60/40 folding seats for skis.

• Disagree
Reactions: alseTrick
For most people, the T3 will be the family car. So being able to do the practical stuff is important.

1. Hatchback and folding rear seats to pick stuff up from grocery store, HomeDepot or Ikea.
2. Kid seat latches and fit in the back seat.

Can you go to the grocery store with three kids in the backseat and put all the groceries in back. Drop the family off and go to HomeDepot for lumber to fix the deck. Hitch up the travel trailer and go camping. A family car?

It doesn't look like Tesla aimed for the family car in the T3. Tesla's glass roof obsession means no hatchback which likely means no trip to the grocery store or HomeDepot. Glass roof is also a security issue. Everything visible for thieves. Going from a Prius to a Subaru Legacy sedan, I realized how useful the hatchback and folding seats were and how the trunk only is not much use. Wish Tesla had aimed more for a family wagon vs. a smaller model S.

An actual deal breaker for me would be if the T3 did not have a trunk pass through 60/40 folding seats for skis.
Hitch up the travel trailer?? What Toyota Corolla or Camry can do that? Or BMW 3 series?

Can you not fit a bag of groceries into a regular trunk? (Okay, yeah you can't easily shove a bike or a sheet of plywood into a non-hatchback)

I just laugh when people make their list of "must haves" for a car, and either there's no vehicle that has all of them, or in order to meet them you have to go to another class of car--except that midsize sedan might be one of their must haves. Buying a car--or almost anything, for that matter--is a matter of prioritizing your list of wants/needs, and choosing the best fit because you're going to have to compromise. There's no way all the manufacturers in the whole could have enough models and options to exactly match every single person's wish list. You want best-in-class towing for a small to mid-sized sedan? I've got a pretty good feeling that the Model 3 is going to claim that title, given how well the X tows. In order to get that, you're most likely going to have to give up a hatchback trunk. The problem is that if they made it a hatchback instead to satisfy you (and many others), then the all-glass roof would not be an option, and disappoint me (and many others). So at some point you're just going to have to choose - what's more important? A hatchback, or an electric drivetrain, great towing, AutoPilot, and whatever else you like about Tesla.

And before you dismiss me as a rich Model X owner/Tesla fanboi-- I'm well aware of the compromises that I made choosing a Model X. It does not have folding second row seats, the cargo capacity in general isn't all that great for my family, the Falcoln doors give me heartburn (I love them functionally, but scared for their long term reliability, and don't really like all the attention they draw), and even though the towing is great it's not really feasible long range without lots of stops that include unhitching and hitching back up. Oh and the price. Definitely not cheap. But then I put it up against the features I love that are rare or non-existent from others -- all electric drivetrain with instant torque, starting each day with a full tank of energy, the amazing windshield, aesthetically pleasing (to me), the Falcoln wing doors, climate control from my phone, reduced maintenance, all of the autopilot features, the supercharger network to enable long distance travel with a pure electric vehicle, and on and on. In the end I just had to decide that I valued those enough to overlook or deal with the negatives.

So... Long story short: I really hope that you give the Model 3 a fair chance evaluating all of the factors, rather than immediately dismissing it out of hand because it has one or two features that you dislike.

My minimum requirement is it has some iteration of this stuck to it's front and/or back:
teslabadge.jpg

After that, there are various options I would like to include, most expected to be standard or an option based on the S/X.
Is the 4 door sedan my ideal? It comes in second to a 2door sports coupe, but I didn't expect that to happen at this point anyway.
If a sedan has a trunk or hatch I really don't care. My current car has 5 cubit feet of storage and I can fit a packed shopping cart worth of bags in it, so can not imagine how much more the average person needs to fit in a trunk on a regular basis.
If the Model ☰ had been announced as a CUV, I would not have been as excited about it, but likely would still have put a deposit down.