Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Care & Maintenance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
50% is just fine if you don't need to drive that many miles. Tesla Ownership told me that in order to maximize long term battery life, keeping the battery charged in the 50%-60% range is best. This is why I keep my battery at 50% and only charge higher in the morning and when I expect to drive the car. For instance, if I have no appointments tomorrow then I keep the battery at 50%. If I have some appointments, or expect to go somewhere, I increase the charge to 70% or 80% depending on what I expect to need. By the time I get home, I am usually in the 30%-50% range and charge back to 50% until I need to drive again. I have an HPWC and can charge quickly, so time is not generally an issue.

Sure. Just requires a little more thought and planning. As others have said, there is a preference to lean towards a higher than 50% side of that battery even if you don't drive much. The thinking goes that the battery will be at a higher voltage. Therefore to get the same amount of power out of the drive train and battery you need less amps. Less amps = less heat and stress. Not sure how valid this is, but my 60 tends to be a little peppier at higher charges.

Sure. Just requires a little more thought and planning. As others have said, there is a preference to lean towards a higher than 50% side of that battery even if you don't drive much. The thinking goes that the battery will be at a higher voltage. Therefore to get the same amount of power out of the drive train and battery you need less amps. Less amps = less heat and stress. Not sure how valid this is, but my 60 tends to be a little peppier at higher charges.

Thanks for the tip, I'll see if I notice any difference.

I am wondering why Tesla does not provide much information in proper battery maintenance.

I think Tesla wants people to have a "set it and forget it" mentality. If Tesla officially makes the process overly complicated like some of us here are doing (including myself), then it might have a negative impact on sales. Most consumers aren't as OCD as I am, therefore I appreciate these nuances more than most of the people I know. The ICE industry would probably also use any complicated charging regimen against Tesla.

I take this all differently. When my wife and I went on our 5540 mile Western US trip last May - June we set the car to range charge all the time. Overnight we usually had a complete charge. During the day we only charged enough to get to the next charger. When we got home the car showed only 1 - 2 miles degradation in range. That was after 10,000 miles. We only hit 4 SCs along the way. I was pleasantly surprised at that.

I'm hoping that when the car is 7 - 7.5 years old the battery will be poor enough for Tesla to replace it! Then we will have nearly a new car!

For daily use I don't want to do anything but charge to 90%. Only when we're going on a trip will I charge to 100% the night before. I often don't know how much driving around town we might do ahead of time so why sweat it.

Tesla did say the warranty is for no matter how you charge along the way...

That all said, I too am a bit OCD... So reading this and other threads on TMC is great fun and entertainment! Gives me more to tell folks about when they ask about the car!

Just throwing this out, would it be better to limit the 40kw packs to the top portion of the pack? What I mean is that the 40kw cars would use the capacity from 20-60kw vs 0-40kw.

In terms of battery life, my opinion would be to limit the back in the middle. Don't give all the way to the bottom, and don't give all the way to the top. Say, stop the pack at approx 20% from the bottom, so the pack is never DEEP discharged, and then limit the top end to 90%ish, that way it is NEVER sitting at 100%. That would be a ideal range to provide approx 40kW.
The ONLY reason I think they are not doing this, in my opinion is as follows.
Say, someone runs their "40" down to nothing and the car stops driving. Now, that person would be on the phone complaining to tesla "why" can't I use the remaining 20% to get home, or "why" cant you unlock it "just this once" to let me get off the freeway and to a charging station etc... By limiting it to the bottom end, they are saving their phone support many headaches on that.
Now, Idea time, if they limit it how I said above, LET them use the remaining 20%, BUT limit the overall kW output. we already know the car can limit output at low SOC, why not let them then use the last 20%, but limit the car to say, 25 or 30kW. I've already hit that low on my 60 when running on "fumes", yah, you "could" get er up to freeway speeds, but it would take a hell a long time to get to freeway speeds, and then all it takes is a gust of wind and your slowed wayyy down. Limiting to 25 or 30kw would make the car impractical for continued use accept to get the car to a safe place/place to charge, Like a LIMP Mode. (Yes, I know that was a massive run-on sentence).

- - - Updated - - -

Third max range charge in about 5 days....I only got 190 miles this time so I lost a mile possibly :( I think islandbayy is the exception more than the rule when it comes to battery degradation.
So far, with quite a number of people I've talked to in private to help solve issues (both with battery balancing, and other vehicle related issues), I am definitely not the exception.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, if Tesla were to make that suggestion that would be very bad and a good way to make an anti-customer. That was why I was suggesting it :) and really only if it was something he was considering anyway. Like if he felt that the 40's range wasn't enough for his actual usage and/or he underestimated his daily usage. Meaning he has an "out" for getting more range that us 60 owners don't have. Not trying to stir things up, just trying to be helpful.

The range my 60 has at max charge has not changed appreciably, but I don't think that it is anything unique to my 60 or islandbayy's 60. I suspect it is just how they are being used. Keep in mind, just a couple of months ago Islandbayy was reporting that he couldn't get more that 192 miles from a range charge. Now a few months later he is getting up to 208. So to me that says this is not a permanent degradation issue. I think (could be wrong) that mostly is related to temperature and balance of the pack. Islandbayy certainly does not baby his pack. He full cycles it often (large depth or charge) which should put the most wear on his pack. It may be that this type of usage is actually better for keeping it in balance. Or, it maybe just doing a range charge at a supercharger that is making the difference.

I don't expect anyone here reading this to do anything to their cars such as range charge or balance or anything. I say these things for discussion purposes. I will however, put my money where my mouth is and do this experimenting on my own car.

For those who are having real issues with their cars and don't want take amateur advice from us on TMC, they really should go to Tesla for this. And if we are lucky, they will share what they have learned.

Update:
As you can see, Islandbayy's 60 is not unique. I am at 14,500 miles and still get a 203mile range charge at -2*F. I suspect it will do better when it warms up and with a little bit more balancing.
View attachment 42106

Quite correct where a few months ago I couldn't get it over 192 on a range charge. It was 100% temperature related. I remember us and Montgom discussing that at the Chancery ;) It was the poor range charge that got me experimenting on the SPECIFICS that effect the range of the Model S, and how the Model S handles Temp changes, balancing etc...
I experimented quite a bit with both outdoor temps and indoor temps at my shop, to discover where the big "hits" come from in cold temps. In fact, in theory, I should be able to exceed my original delivery range of 209 if I get my car in temps of 100*F +. It should theoretically go up to about 213ish, maybe more!
And yes, I beat the living crap out of my pack, at least, compared to most people. I push this thing to it's absolute limits!

- - - Updated - - -

I have not read this whole thread, so I hope I'm not repeating anything or missing a point.

I don't believe balancing cells improves overall life, meaning I don't think it reduces the rate of long term degradation, but I do believe it improves the available range at the time and would be worth doing if you need the extra range but since we don't know how the S manages this, it's currently impossible to time the charging. I don't recommend regularly deep cycling the battery with the hopes that it balances the cells accept for the times you really need to max the range. If you are pushing the battery daily to the point where you are stressing about it on a 40 kW S, I'd highly recommend unlocking the 60kW ability. The folks on the Leaf forum who were constantly deep cycling to test capacity were ironically the one's who appeared to see the fastest long term degradation. The Leaf is a different beast, it doesn't have TMS and likely allows more of the packs capacity to be accessed, but still, I think it is worth erring on the side of caution even with the S. the effect of ambient temperature on capacity has been tracked carefully on the Leaf forum. most of the losses experienced during winter, recover with the warmer weather. While the S does have temperature management, the battery is subject to ambient temps most of the time. from what I've seen, it appears the TMS doesn't kick in unless at the extremes. some warming appears to happen during preconditioning of the car but I'm pretty sure the battery is still effected by ambient temps. warming up the battery before range charging would likely improve the short term capacity. Unfortunately we have no temperature gauge to monitor. I would suggest that it's very difficult with the S to find an apples to apples basis on which to be absolutely sure how much the fluctution in rated range is due to ambient temps vs cell imbalance vs long term degradation. If your garage is conditioned, and the S sits there long enough to "cold soak" the battery to the ambient temperature and you do all the kind of scientific controls that Tony Williams did for the Leaf, then you might be able to nail it down with certainty but wow, it's a lot of work with such a large battery and so many variables that are hard to control.

To max out the range on the Leaf, I would use the prewarming function to heat up the car for sometimes, a couple of hours, then top off the charge one last time, then drive as far as I could without the climate control on. The Tesla S should warm the battery at least some with preconditioning. I would also drive the Leaf very conservatively and on rare occasion in the winter I'd even take along rechargable chemical heat packs to keep my feet warm and eliminate climate control use. fortunately the Tesla S has a much more efficient heater than the 2011/12 Leafs.

As the battery ages and/or if not conditioned and you want to max out the range predictably (down to the mile or your destination), you need to drive in such a way as to consume a consistent MPkW or WPM and adjust the speed by slowing down when you go up hills, accurately keeping the energy draw consistent, calculate periodically to see if you are within range of your destination and adjusting accordingly ... especially important in the winter!

I got pretty burned out paying so much attention to range with the Leaf and decided the 85 kW battery option for the S was worth it's weight in gold... I almost never think about it. It's very important that people factor in the seasonal cycling of range and long term degradation when considering which pack to include with the order of the S. A larger battery allows for more shallow, mid pack cycling, and I'm quite convinced that that will help long term life of the battery, even if it mutes cell balancing in the short run. at the very least, a larger pack gives you precious peace of mind.

the good news is, cold ambient temps most certainly improve long term life of batteries. those who see a big drop in rated range in the winter which bounces back in the spring are likely going to see longer overall life of the pack. with the Leaf, it appears that long term rate of degradation follows a pattern of altitude and latitude surely correlating to ambient temps, the further south you go, the worse it gets. It's going to take a while with the S to see if a similar pattern plays out. I expect that the TMS in the Tesla S adequately protects the pack from extreme temperatures, so we shouldn't see the accelerated, permanent dropping off of range that so many of the Leaf owners down south are seeing during summer but I think it's safe to say that cooler ambient temps will still be better for the battery long term and still tend to reduce range in the short term during cooler months.
May want to go back and read the whole thread. A balanced battery pack, DOES, increase the overall life of the cells. The lower voltage cells get discharged to a lower state of charge more often, and the higher voltage cells are kept at a Higher state of charge more often. This causes abnormal ware, and premature failure in some cells causing even more issues, as well as other problems. Grab a pot of coffee, and enjoy the thread for a hour :)

As for cold ambient temps improving the life of the batteries, yes and no. Lithium batteries like cool, NOT COLD. At 32*F and below, they do not "like". Will it cause many issues? No, you will loose regen. And you will have a limit on power draw. Exceed the limits on power draw(not possible with the Model S) and you can damage them. CHARGE lithium batteries when their below 32*F, and you will PERMANENTLY damage them. Thats why the Model S (and even the leaf) have a Pack heater. The car will heat the batteries to above 32*F to charge regardless of the settings. Charging lithium below freezing Will, without question, cause Permanent capacity loss (The Anode gets itself electroplated, read whole thread for more detailed explanation. It's closer to the beginning)

- - - Updated - - -

I understood you were trying to be helpful, and it is appreciated.

I and others have taken our concerns to Tesla, but as far as I know, after Fremont looks at our batteries (remotely), we all get the same "battery is normal" response. Only time I ever hear any mention of "balancing" is here, never from anybody at Tesla. I will be escalating my concerns within a few days. If anybody has any suggestions re: an appropriate Tesla contact, I would very much appreciate that info.

The fact that some of you have seen essentially no degradation leaves me hopeful that this really is a balancing issue that can have a happy resolution.

As I keep saying, people do not realize how much Temps greatly impact range. Even when the packs at 50*F does the range begin to drop. But yes, Tesla needs to bring forward some help to 40 owners. I still would really like a option to balance the pack (charging screen button) that will balance at any (reasonable) state of charge.

Old geezer like me is finding this topic of battery maintenance a little difficult to understand. From reading this thread along with others, I took away with this and please correct me if I am wrong:

A) Do not leave your battery at 100% for extended periods (10 minutes or more?)
B) Do not drain your battery down to "0".
C) Maintain battery SOC at 50%
D) Charge frequently and maintain SOC between 50%-70%
E) Range charge to balance battery pack once in a while. Perhaps once a month? (for a 15k mile car)
F) Supercharging can throw the battery pack off balance due to its rate of charge, but it should not harm the battery
G) Charge vehicle at 30A if possible when charging at home

Correct. and Supercharging can cause the pack to go out of balance (More so on older batteries then newer, as the resistance builds up in the older batteries more so), but on the other hand, the supercharger appears to do a fairly nice job when balancing as well. Took MUCH longer when balancing on the SC then on my 14-50. But my range was higher as well.

- - - Updated - - -

A) Correct. However you need to have it 100% to balance.
B) Correct, avoid 0 when possible. Run to 0 when you have to.
C) Only for storage. 70-90% is better for daily usage.
D) Correct. Smallest depth of charge is best.
E) Correct, or when you need to squeeze the most miles out of your pack. It may take 2 or 3 range charges to see much difference.
F) Actually a supercharger can balance the pack quite well if allowed to range charge to completion. But operating the car from 0 to 90% will cause the pack to go out of balance eventually, regardless of supercharging.
G) Not sure if this helps any.

Well Put!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the tip, I'll see if I notice any difference.

I think Tesla wants people to have a "set it and forget it" mentality. If Tesla officially makes the process overly complicated like some of us here are doing (including myself), then it might have a negative impact on sales. Most consumers aren't as OCD as I am, therefore I appreciate these nuances more than most of the people I know. The ICE industry would probably also use any complicated charging regimen against Tesla.
I agree with the set it and forget it mentality. That is whats working for me. I know this whole thread makes it all sound more complicated and confusing then it really is. This thread started off as just "simple" tips, and has turned into a all out discussion for the history books!
I like K.I.S.S. Just keep it simple. Use what you need, and every once in a while Range charge to balance things out :)

- - - Updated - - -

You use it exactly as it was designed to be used.

Damn right. Just wish I had that darn 85kW pack. I'm really eating through my warranty. But if it keeps up like this, I may never need a warranty :)

50% is just fine if you don't need to drive that many miles. Tesla Ownership told me that in order to maximize long term battery life, keeping the battery charged in the 50%-60% range is best. This is why I keep my battery at 50% and only charge higher in the morning and when I expect to drive the car. For instance, if I have no appointments tomorrow then I keep the battery at 50%. If I have some appointments, or expect to go somewhere, I increase the charge to 70% or 80% depending on what I expect to need. By the time I get home, I am usually in the 30%-50% range and charge back to 50% until I need to drive again. I have an HPWC and can charge quickly, so time is not generally an issue.

That's more in line with my thinking too. I charge to 70% and it drains down to about 50% or a little less in the course of my day. I always heard it was best to charge as close to 50% as you can as it will prolong battery life. I've never heard you should to try run it between 70% and 90% before.

I take this all differently. When my wife and I went on our 5540 mile Western US trip last May - June we set the car to range charge all the time. Overnight we usually had a complete charge. During the day we only charged enough to get to the next charger. When we got home the car showed only 1 - 2 miles degradation in range. That was after 10,000 miles. We only hit 4 SCs along the way. I was pleasantly surprised at that.

I'm hoping that when the car is 7 - 7.5 years old the battery will be poor enough for Tesla to replace it! Then we will have nearly a new car!

For daily use I don't want to do anything but charge to 90%. Only when we're going on a trip will I charge to 100% the night before. I often don't know how much driving around town we might do ahead of time so why sweat it.

Tesla did say the warranty is for no matter how you charge along the way...

That all said, I too am a bit OCD... So reading this and other threads on TMC is great fun and entertainment! Gives me more to tell folks about when they ask about the car!

Not to put a damper on your enthusiasm, but Tesla's battery warranty does not cover range loss. It only covers a total battery failure. So even if you are left with 50% capacity after 7 years, Tesla will not replace your battery. The battery warranty is available in your MyTesla dashboard, you should probably read so that you know what you're getting into. You're betting on Tesla doing something that is specifically excluded in the battery warranty.

Not to put a damper on your enthusiasm, but Tesla's battery warranty does not cover range loss. It only covers a total battery failure. So even if you are left with 50% capacity after 7 years, Tesla will not replace your battery. The battery warranty is available in your MyTesla dashboard, you should probably read so that you know what you're getting into. You're betting on Tesla doing something that is specifically excluded in the battery warranty.

I believe it covers "abnormal" degradation though. I think they defined abnormal is anything above 1% per every 10k miles. So if you have 100k miles and your degradation is 11%, that's abnormal and should be replaced under warranty. (whereas 9% would be considered "normal")

I believe it covers "abnormal" degradation though. I think they defined abnormal is anything above 1% per every 10k miles. So if you have 100k miles and your degradation is 11%, that's abnormal and should be replaced under warranty. (whereas 9% would be considered "normal")

Wow. Where did tesla define abnormal as anything above 1% per 10k mi?! In the written warranty ?!

no way that's correct. That's a very small amount of degradation...

Wow. Where did tesla define abnormal as anything above 1% per 10k mi?! In the written warranty ?!

no way that's correct. That's a very small amount of degradation...

I thought I read that somewhere in the manual or warranty. I'll see if I can find it. But a quick google search returns many results with people that have emailed ownership@ with this exact question and the consistent answer from Tesla is "anything below 70% capacity [aka > 30% loss] during the 8 years is consider abnormal and is covered by the warranty.", regardless of miles I assume.

Here are some responses from TM per http://www.teslamotors.com/forum/forums/battery-warranty-model-s:

" if my battery drops below 70% TM would replace it."

"anything over 20% degradation in 8 years would be considered a warranty service item."

"internal policy guarantees at least 70%"

"Essentially each battery is handled on a case by case basis and is compared to other Model S batteries with similar conditions (age, mileage, climate, etc) and if a battery is vastly different in its charge capacity than it will be replaced.We have done extensive R&D on our batteries and while I don’t have exact numbers available for battery degradation, I have asked our Ownership Experience team and they replied that you should likely expect 75% of original capacity after 8 years. There are Roadsters that have been on the road for 5 years and only experienced a power loss of 10%, and the battery in a Model S is superior."

Last edited:
I thought I read that somewhere in the manual or warranty. I'll see if I can find it. But a quick google search returns many results with people that have emailed ownerership@ with this exact question and the consistent answer from Tesla is "anything below 70% capacity [aka > 30% loss] during the 8 years is consider abnormal and is covered by the warranty.", regardless of miles I assume.

I'll look into it tonight as well.

Old geezer like me is finding this topic of battery maintenance a little difficult to understand. From reading this thread along with others, I took away with this and please correct me if I am wrong:

A) Do not leave your battery at 100% for extended periods (10 minutes or more?)

10 minutes sounds pretty extreme to me.
Wouldn't it be nice if we had test results to understand the magnitude of various effects?

I have not asked any experts about the scale of the impact of high states of charge, but I don't think 100% for 12 hours here and there would give any noticeable degradation.

As I understand it, taking lithium cells to the ends of the range does physically stress the materials due to volumetric changes. That would be a per cycle degradation.
Additionally I understand that storing a battery at high temperatures especially when over about 90% state of charge further degrades it's calendar life. I hear this is more of an issue with the higher voltage cobalt cell than with the LiFe cells we use in hobbyist conversions. My impression has always been that you certainly don't want your normal storage hot and full, but if my Tesla battery spent a total of a few days per year sitting at 100% state of charge I wouldn't think the degradation would be noticeable.

Here is the exact language of the warranty exclusion:

The Battery, like all lithium-ion batteries, will experience gradual energy or power loss with time and use. Loss of Battery energy or power over time or due to or resulting from Battery usage, is NOT covered under this Battery Limited Warranty. See your owner documentation for important information on how to maximize the life and capacity of the Battery.

The Battery, like all lithium-ion batteries, will experience gradual energy or power loss with time and use. Loss of Battery energy or power over time or due to or resulting from Battery usage, is NOT covered under this Battery Limited Warranty. See your owner documentation for important information on how to maximize the life and capacity of the Battery.
Sure, but both can be true. You can exclude normal loss of energy over time, while covering abnormally large loss.

Without having read the terms fully, though, I'd expect the warranty language to be strict. I wouldn't be surprised if the above is all Tesla has to say on the matter, officially. They don't want to lock themselves in to covering degradation over 30% in 8 years, only to find that despite their best calculations a significant portion of the fleet exceeds that. That'd be a nightmare scenario for them.

Unofficial internal guidelines are much more likely (and worse for us, obviously).

Yea that's what the actual piece of paper says to covers their asses just like the "everything is subject to change at Tesla's discretion" verbiage when you ordered your car but that does not mean it's their true policy.

Then there's their public statement about anything short of a shotgun... In 8 years if my S still shows 180 miles or so rated range I'll be pretty happy. If not I'd expect a new battery. Either way I have a great car now and then. Note: I have an A battery so my chance for a new battery is higher than most, 8 years from now.

IF there is going to be any problem (I seriously doubt it given that this battery chem is even better than the roadsters), it'll be with people trying to take advantage of any promises or public statements they've made. For example, Tesla said they'd replace batteries on their dollar despite what kind of intentional abuse we put them through (short of taking to it with a blow torch). What if an owner gets ticked off at 10% range loss in 5 years and decides to head out to Death Valley and leave it sitting in 130 degree weather? Or what is someone lets it go way past 0 and leaves it there for 5 months and bricks the battery? Do they get free replacement as per Tesla's verbal guarantee? Isn't that sort of verbal statements a binding contract by some state laws? Just sayin..

What if an owner gets ticked off at 10% range loss in 5 years and decides to head out to Death Valley and leave it sitting in 130 degree weather? Or what is someone lets it go way past 0 and leaves it there for 5 months and bricks the battery? Do they get free replacement as per Tesla's verbal guarantee? Isn't that sort of verbal statements a binding contract by some state laws? Just sayin..

There are always going to be a handful of idiots that Darwin didn't get (yet). I don't expect it to be a big deal.