Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery damaged

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn't take any pictures of the curb stop - had no idea I might need them. Figured this would be an out-of-pocket repair.

Not much to see on the underside of the car. Slight damage to the cover on the underside between front wheels. Blue fluid leaking out.

May be covered under collision insurance. Have a buddy who works for a major insurer that covered a repair from running over freeway debris. Damage sounds similar. Also, some computer components were damaged by the coolant fluids. Worth a call.

Yes...definitely good to notify the OP...but there is no “may be” unless he does not have collision insurance.

This is covered by insurance...it is what insurance is for...you run into something, they pay to repair the damage. Unlikely that the increased deductibles will make it not worth it in this case!

I hate to be that guy but first post for the OP...

It’s not uncommon for people who have a major issue to report that as their first post. I wouldn’t read too much into the “FUD” potential in this case.

It’s not a secret that great care is required with these vehicles to prevent battery damage. Presumably on the pickup the battery will be armored. Hope they make it a priority.

Ran over a parking lot curb stop. Internal hose damaged and not serviceable. $15,000.

Terrible mistake, but wasn't a big curb, didn't even touch bumper valance.

You should request to retain your damaged battery and sell it... Though I guess if your insurance covers the cost the battery would actually belong to them.

My guess is that Tesla would fight giving it to you but it is the law, at least in most states, that they have to return parts to you, if requested in advance, for non-warranty repairs. They can charge a core-fee, but I haven't seen that Tesla has actually ever done that.

Last edited:
Well we all had a first post at one time. And often it is because we had a problem.
I completely understand the first-post skepticism. But let me be clear to anyone reading this: Despite what I am going through right now, I still very much consider this car to be the best car i've ever owned - and by no small margin. I have no intention of spreading FUD - quite the opposite - i've spent the last 12 months of ownership evangelizing for Tesla. I'm sure this will work out. I posted here, after lurking for a very long time, simply because I'm a bit stressed by it, that's all. I need to talk to people about it and I need to gather as much info as possible. So thanks.

Now, for an update.

I've been to the service center already (Rockville, MD) and spoke with Adam there. He was helpful and completely professional. I asked him several questions, including: What specifically was the damage and did you take any photos when it was on the lift? What happens to the damaged pack once removed?

Adam immediately offered to bring the car back into the shop, lift it up, and get me some pictures. He even offered to make notes on them so i'd understand the damage and why it was irreparable. He described a process where the battery pack goes back to CA and is disassembled and inspected. He noted the results of this inspection would be confidential to Tesla.

We discussed returning the damaged battery to me, the obvious hurdles to that being a) it's 3000 lbs, and b) it likely belongs to my insurance company once they pay the claim. Nevertheless, Adam agreed to get more detail on transferring it to me should USAA not want it and I have a means of transporting it safely...

So that's the current status. Time to file a claim I guess.

We discussed returning the damaged battery to me, the obvious hurdles to that being a) it's 3000 lbs, and b) it likely belongs to my insurance company once they pay the claim. Nevertheless, Adam agreed to get more detail on transferring it to me should USAA not want it and I have a means of transporting it safely...

The battery weight is 480kg according to the EPA test document. (1058 pounds)

Sounds like a good plan. Without pictures it is hard to say, but I imagine Tesla is VERY paranoid about replacing packs with any damage, and they would replace anything with anything other than superficial scratches. So it's entirely possible your pack might be ok once the cooling hose is replaced (again, impossible to know without pictures). And that could mean it could be worth quite a lot still. Hopefully. There is the issue of needing the transport for it. I would imagine Tesla would not want damaged batteries being released to the wild, but the law is the law... I suppose they could refuse to do the repair though - I don't know how the law is written.

Might be best not to bring up keeping the scrap battery with USAA if they don't ask about it. I guess it's not clear how on the ball they typically would be about recovering scrap auto parts - I wouldn't imagine it's something they would typically want to deal with, with collision claims - presumably they assume the repair facility will dispose of them, normally. But, maybe they are interested in the salvage market sometimes.

The price might also include a "core charge" and the old battery belongs to Tesla.

In any case, @digdoug, do let us know how things work out, and what the status of core charge (how much?), battery recovery, etc. were, even if you decide not to go that route. I wouldn't imagine most owners would want to deal with selling a 1000-pound battery even if there's a couple thousand dollars in it for them. Huge pain, safety issues (do you really want to store a damaged battery without coolant near your house?), liability issues if you sell it, etc.

I suspect it would be worth closer to $10k.
Yeah, this. I agree with the poster above regarding safety issues, but I think safety is 100% depending on the nature and extent of the damage. I'm anxious to see the pictures.

And, yes, I am on the fence as to whether it is worth the hassle. $2000, maybe not. 6 or 8 thousand? Yes. If for no other reason than to help offset my insurance premium increase (which I am anticipating).

In each state I’ve lived in, insurance companies can’t mandate the repair. They cut a check to the policyholder for the damage minus the deductible, and it’s up to the owner to have the car repaired or not. I’ve never heard of a state or precedent that gives the insurance company ownership of the parts repaired, although they do have the option of paying for used parts in certain circumstances. Which likely wouldn’t apply for the OP’s scenario.

Of course there may be a pricey core charge, but the only way Tesla would have ownership of the old pack is if they were replacing it under warranty. Collision repairs are completely different.

I guess the one thing we learn is the price of the battery is currently $15k. I think this is the 3rd insurance replacement I have read about (all for undercarriage damage) and each time the price was $15k.

Very very glad I didnt damage my battery when I ran over a ladder on the freeway shortly after getting my car. Just tore up the fiber cover, no damage to any hoses, etc.