Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Day

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone here on the fence with ordering their Model Y because of what Tesla may announce on Battery Day next month?

i.e. Million mile battery, new cell chemistry, Tesla Roadrunner project, solid state batteries ( <- highly unlikely!)

And if these upgrades did come to the Model Y, we'd likely hit a rather justifiable price hike based on the enhanced capabilities. I don't think its in the cards for the Y/3 as these new batteries are destined for the new plaid S/X, roadster, semi, and the cybertruck.

Reactions: kmacm20
Every person who is going to order MY should wait for battery day.
Maybe rolling out anything new to the MY will not be soon but also will not be too far in future.
They are not going to announce big changes and then wait months... That will only hurt their sales.
Imagine you order MY now and they come out with some drastic new things, than what you are going to do?
Also imagine resale of your vehicle, it will be much higher with new battery or tech.
This car is all about high tech and battery, so wait for sept 22

• Disagree
Reactions: glide
Every person who is going to order MY should wait for battery day.
Maybe rolling out anything new to the MY will not be soon but also will not be too far in future.
They are not going to announce big changes and then wait months... That will only hurt their sales.
Imagine you order MY now and they come out with some drastic new things, than what you are going to do?
Also imagine resale of your vehicle, it will be much higher with new battery or tech.
This car is all about high tech and battery, so wait for sept 22
Hardly they will do some major update to the car which is less then half a year in production and already selling better than SX3 combined. Most likely it’s SX plaid, semi or cyber track. Possibly some update to m3 but as they want it to be entry model, not likely imo. I think if someone want to order Y, no reason to wait till B-Day. The only exception for those who want RWD for a reason...

Reactions: preilly44
Hardly they will do some major update to the car which is less then half a year in production and already selling better than SX3 combined. Most likely it’s SX plaid, semi or cyber track. Possibly some update to m3 but as they want it to be entry model, not likely imo. I think if someone want to order Y, no reason to wait till B-Day. The only exception for those who want RWD for a reason...

Its only one month wait

I pre-ordered the MY, but told my advisor that I am not ready yet. I am holding off mainly due to the fit-and-finish issues though, not so much for battery day.

If the recent Panasonic report is inline with what'll be revealed on battery day, any kind of battery improvement to the MY, at best, would be incremental (either +5% range or same range reduced cost?). A lot of this is probably a longer term changes. There'd always be continuous incremental improvements and would be never ending... There is also an unknown on unproven battery tech. Finally, by the end of September, it'd be in the time frame of end of quarter rush, and who knows what delivery would be like...

So a part of me think that as soon as the fit-and-finish issue is mostly over, I'd pull the trigger (i.e. pretty much now). I could very well be wrong, but that's what went through my mind.

I was considering waiting until battery day however I need a new car sooner than later so I won’t be waiting if my order moves forward. My thinking is that the new batteries will be better but from what I’m reading it will be an initial 5% improvement in the first year of delivery. Not worth waiting for. Also the technology for EVs is similar to the early years of smart phones where it’s fast moving so even if you wait until next year to buy an MY good chance Tesla will be announcing another breakthrough technology for 2022 so you’ll always be chasing the newest/best.
My bigger concern is Tesla order management where I have no dependable info in when the MY will be delivered. Bottom line is if I don’t get clarity soon I’ll end up buying something else.....

I pre-ordered the MY, but told my advisor that I am not ready yet. I am holding off mainly due to the fit-and-finish issues though, not so much for battery day.

If the recent Panasonic report is inline with what'll be revealed on battery day, any kind of battery improvement to the MY, at best, would be incremental (either +5% range or same range reduced cost?). A lot of this is probably a longer term changes. There'd always be continuous incremental improvements and would be never ending... There is also an unknown on unproven battery tech. Finally, by the end of September, it'd be in the time frame of end of quarter rush, and who knows what delivery would be like...

So a part of me think that as soon as the fit-and-finish issue is mostly over, I'd pull the trigger (i.e. pretty much now). I could very well be wrong, but that's what went through my mind.

Can you pre-order and then delay? How does that work? We've just about decided that we want the Y (there isn't really anything comparable right now in terms of range and towing capacity...and how many years do you wait for that perfect car to appear?) I'd like to avoid some of the fit and finish issues however as we are a one car household and plan to sell our Leaf to stay that way. Sending it back to service for a week or two would definitely be inconvenient. I was thinking we might order in mid to late September and hope for an October or November delivery when there isn't a rush for the quarter end numbers. Is that a decent strategy, or are there other risks to consider?

Can you pre-order and then delay? How does that work? We've just about decided that we want the Y (there isn't really anything comparable right now in terms of range and towing capacity...and how many years do you wait for that perfect car to appear?) I'd like to avoid some of the fit and finish issues however as we are a one car household and plan to sell our Leaf to stay that way. Sending it back to service for a week or two would definitely be inconvenient. I was thinking we might order in mid to late September and hope for an October or November delivery when there isn't a rush for the quarter end numbers. Is that a decent strategy, or are there other risks to consider?

I actually pre-ordered back in March 2019 when the Y was not expected to be available until Fall this year (and I am based in Canada, so would be even later). For your case though, I would get an idea of when your spec would be available. If you are looking at a popular combo (i guess the spreadsheet would give you an idea), you may be surprised how quickly you'd get a VIN, in which case, you might as well wait a little first.

I was considering waiting until battery day however I need a new car sooner than later so I won’t be waiting if my order moves forward. My thinking is that the new batteries will be better but from what I’m reading it will be an initial 5% improvement in the first year of delivery. Not worth waiting for. Also the technology for EVs is similar to the early years of smart phones where it’s fast moving so even if you wait until next year to buy an MY good chance Tesla will be announcing another breakthrough technology for 2022 so you’ll always be chasing the newest/best.
My bigger concern is Tesla order management where I have no dependable info in when the MY will be delivered. Bottom line is if I don’t get clarity soon I’ll end up buying something else.....
Waiting isn’t just about getting the newest/best, it’s about not paying the newest/best premium for something you know will soon be yesterday’s tech.

Do people that bought the M3 this past year regret waiting? The people that bought MY in July rather than March?

Waiting isn’t just about getting the newest/best, it’s about not paying the newest/best premium for something you know will soon be yesterday’s tech.

Do people that bought the M3 this past year regret waiting? The people that bought MY in July rather than March?

Situation is very different now.

We are talking about battery day.

Its big event.

Its already announced battery will be 5% "bigger" !
Waiting couple of months to get 20 more miles for same price is worth in my opinion.

Situation is very different now.

We are talking about battery day.

Its big event.

Its already announced battery will be 5% "bigger" !
Waiting couple of months to get 20 more miles for same price is worth in my opinion.
Yeah, that’s why I’m saying wait.
Event or not, when in doubt, waiting is generally good in buying tech. Improvements in production costs work in your favor

• Disagree
Reactions: Clark_Kent
I have decided to wait till at least battery day to place my model y order. The 5% increase in battery density that has been rumored for release this fall is material when comparing EPA mileage to real world mileage.

Also for my situation, I have no real reason to order it today versus waiting a month besides wanting to have a shiny new toy to play with sooner

Reactions: BlindPass