Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Fuse Replacement 2016 Model S 90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It won't leave u stranded, it just won't fire the pyro without that little battery, ie won't disconnect HV in case of accident (if needed)
not every accident is actually triggers HV pyro ...
there's pyro for 12v which will kill contactors n disconnect HV

I also received the alert yesterday, with error code BMS_u031. I have a 2015 P85D with about 90K miles. I looked under the car and the port for the fuse appears to be on the driver's front side of the battery unless I'm spotting the wrong port. Has anyone else seen this?

I'm waiting for Tesla to quote me a price (keep asking) but would certainly prefer to do this myself if it's easy to get the part and do the replacement. If anyone has had success with a DIY replacement, I know we'd all greatly appreciate details on how difficult it was to get the fuse out, put the new one in, and re-seal the port, whether the alert disappears automatically once that's done, where the part can be procured, etc. Thank you!

I also received the alert yesterday, with error code BMS_u031. I have a 2015 P85D with about 90K miles. I looked under the car and the port for the fuse appears to be on the driver's front side of the battery unless I'm spotting the wrong port. Has anyone else seen this?

I'm waiting for Tesla to quote me a price (keep asking) but would certainly prefer to do this myself if it's easy to get the part and do the replacement. If anyone has had success with a DIY replacement, I know we'd all greatly appreciate details on how difficult it was to get the fuse out, put the new one in, and re-seal the port, whether the alert disappears automatically once that's done, where the part can be procured, etc. Thank you!
service.tesla.com has the procedure (free access)
epc.tesla.com says it's an over the counter part
Not that I recommend the DIY route for this.

Need software Toolbox to reset the warning/ set the new fuse type.

If anyone has had success with a DIY replacement, I know we'd all greatly appreciate details on how difficult it was to get the fuse out, put the new one in, and re-seal the port, whether the alert disappears automatically once that's done, where the part can be procured, etc. Thank you!
Didn't do the swap but removed/reinstalled for other reasons.
U need 5 lobe socket n HV gloves
That cover has a rubber seal.

But like others said, need software change for new fuse...

Didn't do the swap but removed/reinstalled for other reasons.
U need 5 lobe socket n HV gloves
That cover has a rubber seal.

But like others said, need software change for new fuse...
service.tesla.com has the procedure (free access)
epc.tesla.com says it's an over the counter part
Not that I recommend the DIY route for this.

Need software Toolbox to reset the warning/ set the new fuse type.
Thank you!

Right now they are showing $165 for labor and no parts cost on my estimate. I'm sure they'll add the part in for $120 or so, but hopefully this will be under $300 for the total repair. I'll post in a week when the work is done.

Reactions: supratachophobia
Ah, you likely have the older version pyro fuse that has a battery built in.
Per this video, it looks fairly easy for service to change.
Can you post exactly what was quoted?
Driving my car today a little error popped up and said : “Battery Fuse Needs Replacement - Schedule Service”

Anybody know what that entails / costs?

-Zach
Just picked my 2016 S90D after having the HV Fuse replaced at Santa Barbara, CA service center. Took 4.5 hours and cost $430.31.
It’s the fuse underneath the car attached to the main battery. The service person refused to make it part of the battery warranty.
Odd, though, that the 2016 cars are getting the same message. Software issue? Scam to make more bucks?

Just picked my 2016 S90D after having the HV Fuse replaced at Santa Barbara, CA service center. Took 4.5 hours and cost $430.31.
It’s the fuse underneath the car attached to the main battery. The service person refused to make it part of the battery warranty.
Odd, though, that the 2016 cars are getting the same message. Software issue? Scam to make more bucks?
Thank you for posting the cost. I have 90kwh battery with the fuse on the bottom and they are quoting me a third price of $268.25. original was $208, then it jumped to $560 when they decided my fuse might be on the top of the battery (which it isn't, and they should know better). I 100% agree this should be considered part of the battery warranty because..... IT IS PART OF THE BATTERY.

I plan on discussing this with the service manager when I visit. On the one hand, I don't mind paying, but the communication has been garbage and I'm wasting a lot of time on this whole thing.

Reactions: GSP and Scotland41
Can’t this go public, so that mister EM will get attention to it? I do not use social media so a bit hard on my side…
Agreed. Tesla implemented a recall for the eMMC chip issue and the pyro fuse is a critical safety component. If they can take a financial hit by dropping the price of their cars they can show responsibility concerning the safety of their customers, emergency responders and the public.

No-one should be paying out of pocket for this. This would be like making a seatbelt requiring a replacement at "X" amount of time, or crash bars requiring replacement at "X" amount of time, or crumple zones needing replacement at "X" amount of time. The fuse is a safety item, part of the battery, and programmed by Tesla to require replacement at their self-determined time. The battery warranty states nothing about excluding the fuse.

No-one should be paying out of pocket for this. This would be like making a seatbelt requiring a replacement at "X" amount of time, or crash bars requiring replacement at "X" amount of time, or crumple zones needing replacement at "X" amount of time. The fuse is a safety item, part of the battery, and programmed by Tesla to require replacement at their self-determined time. The battery warranty states nothing about excluding the fuse.
I would assume that Tesla's argument is that it is a maintenance item, since it has a finite lifetime. (A battery that runs out of energy after x amount of time.) The fuse hasn't "failed" so it isn't a warranty item. You could equate it to a timing belt on an ICE engine. The difference is that Tesla didn't list the fuse replacement in the maintenance section of the manual.

Last edited:
Reactions: GSP and mongo