Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Fuse Replacement 2016 Model S 90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it really related to an accident? (I don't think an accident will normally trigger this.) Or is it just to protect against an overcurrent event? Like a shorted out inverter, or cable. (Which I guess is possible in an accident, but normally an accident would cause the contactors to be opened as soon as the air bags go off, likely before enough damage to short a cable out occurred.)

From what I can see there is no connection to the fuse other than the power input and power output, so it can't be triggered by anything else in the vehicle.
Possible that I am wrong, I thought that the computer could send a signal in the event of an accident.

Possible that I am wrong, I thought that the computer could send a signal in the event of an accident.
No, that would be the pyro fuse, which I'm not sure even exists in the old Model S packs. (At least that is my understanding, and what I can see from the replacement instructions in the service manual.) However, I think the older Model Ss have a pyro fuse on the low voltage battery that can be triggered by the computer.

Reactions: mongo
I had this warning pop up in my 2017 model X. My original bid was $579 pretax. They had a $107 general diagnosis line on there. I called them out on it and they dropped that. But I still have the $175 part charge that seems pretty standard, plus $296 for the HV battery 2.0 remove and replace. I'm seeing others with cheaper labor and I'm wondering if I should complain, or if this is just inflation in action. They apparently need a few weeks to get the part anyway.

I had this warning pop up in my 2017 model X. My original bid was $579 pretax. They had a $107 general diagnosis line on there. I called them out on it and they dropped that. But I still have the $175 part charge that seems pretty standard, plus $296 for the HV battery 2.0 remove and replace. I'm seeing others with cheaper labor and I'm wondering if I should complain, or if this is just inflation in action. They apparently need a few weeks to get the part anyway.
Which month is your Model X?

FWIW, the 2.0 pack has bottom fuse access, so the labor is for fuse swapping only, not pack removal.

Just popped up on my 2016 90D on 9/17/2023. yay 😢

"You know that time-bomb we put in your car that we never told anyone about until this year.... yeah, pay us $500 to take it off" /s

It does kind of feel like that since the it is never mentioned as a service item
1695266447053.png

Oh well, the joys of being a pioneer in the EV Industry. 🥲

Reactions: brkaus
Can confirm Tesla is finally covering the pyro fuse replacement under their battery warranty.
My original quote a week ago was $661. I fought with them to remove the $200 diagnostic fee, which they said they would remove if I accept liability that changing the fuse might not remove the error message. I said fine, accepted $461 estimate, scheduled 3 weeks out. Today it went to $0.

I hope all those who paid to get theirs replaced will get refunded soon.

Last edited: