Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

battery fuse requires replacement soon? what is this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since the P90D was technically being produced since July of 2015, I wonder if they just started using the pyro fuse in all batteries from this point on.
Anyone in this thread get the error on Tesla made before July 2015?

One thing is for sure, they pyro fuse can't be replaced on a 400v 85 battery without dropping it and there's no way that was only 30 minutes of labor.

Am I understanding this correctly that for this service, tesla is replacing the fuse with the newest pyro fuse that is also Ludicrous capable?

Or on non-ludicrous/non-performance cars, this is only a software update as there isn’t a battery powered fuse to begin with?

Last edited:
Great question.

My March 2015 built 2015 P85D with Insane got the Ludicrous Upgrade in January 2018 that listed this new fuse on my invoice:

HIGH VOLTAGE BATTERY FUSE - HYBRID 1 PYRO (1077177-00-A)

I haven't gotten a notice to replace my High Voltage Battery Fuse... but this new HYBRID 1 PYRO only was installed 6 years and 2 months ago.

recently i had the notification about the fuse. Its covered on the Battery Warranty . Car is a 2016 Model x 60D
IMG_0099.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Just got this message on my Signature 2012 Model S. From my understanding this is all due to a recent software update which programmed cars to give this warning after a certain time period.

Tesla has really left a bad taste in my mouth with all their nonsense throughout the decade plus I dealt with them. The quote I got is for $866 (CAD) to replace it. I've looked at the service manual online below:

Looking at the service manual below:

It seems there's 3 fuses. 2 of them don't need to be replaced but just verified and reprogrammed to the car because Tesla forgot to tell the car which fuse it has. It's likely my car has a fuse that doesn't need a replacement. Tesla isn't sure which fuse is in the car, so therefore they need to charge 2.3 hours of labour ($210/hr - $441 total) to confirm which fuse is in the car due to their attention to detail earlier - and then update it to the car so it knows which one it has.

Why I need to pay $440+ for their ignorance I don't understand - but if I don't abide by them and refuse to change it - they can cut off charging/supercharging to hold me hostage. Great - par for the course with this company.

It's very likely that I'm going to have to pay $500+ so they can open up the fuse, find out I have one that is okay, and then tell the car which fuse I have. Thanks for coming out. It's also very convenient that no one even knew this had to be replaced at the time of purchase. It was never mentioned in any original manual or cost of maintenance that they provided owners and now it's all of a sudden an urgent issue or they can cut off charging to your car. I can't recommend a Tesla to anyone with my experience.

Last edited:
If the fuse they replace is the battery powered pyro fuse, that battery has a lifetime, like most Lithium batteries, of about 10 years. If your battery warranty was still in effect, there would be no charge. It seems to me they should replace yours at no charge as a goodwill gesture.

If the fuse they replace is the battery powered pyro fuse, that battery has a lifetime, like most Lithium batteries, of about 10 years. If your battery warranty was still in effect, there would be no charge. It seems to me they should replace yours at no charge as a goodwill gesture.

My understanding is my car likely has a fuse that doesn't need to be replaced, but they don't know which fuse is in each car so they need to manually open it to figure that out and then tell the car which fuse it has. This was programmed in a recent update.

If it was something they took responsibility for, I wouldn't mind it. My car is out of warranty so it's an $800+ (CAD) estimate I got for them to replace it. Strange as someone earlier got a $353 CAD estimate for the same thing in March.

The whole issue stems from Tesla not knowing which car has which fuse inside it. Even the service manual says to open up the car, note which fuse it has, and then tell the car which fuse it has from a drop down menu. They likely learned about their mistake earlier this year and programmed a software update to address it - at the cost of everyone out of warranty. It's very Tesla-esque that it took them 12 years to realize their mistake.

In 2012, they didn't have a self powered pyro fuse. They all had a battery. If that was replaced at some point, it likely would have the newer versions, which are self powered. If it is some other fuse, it is unusual for it to go bad, but your car is 12 years old. Good luck to you for a less expensive service visit..

In 2012, they didn't have a self powered pyro fuse. They all had a battery. If that was replaced at some point, it likely would have the newer versions, which are self powered. If it is some other fuse, it is unusual for it to go bad, but your car is 12 years old. Good luck to you for a less expensive service visit..

I've read the original Signature 2012's had Sand Fuses - which aren't battery powered and don't need to be replaced.

Either way, this was never mentioned to anyone until 12 years later. If mine was meant to fail in 10 years, why notify me of it 12 years later and make it urgent?

Last edited:
Reactions: DerbyDave
They never had a warning for this issue before, and it is a safety issue. The feds would really be upset if a known safety issue was not proactively corrected, of course, at your expense. They are now making sure the older cars are as safe as possible. At least I hope that is the primary reason.

They never had a warning for this issue before, and it is a safety issue. The feds would really be upset if a known safety issue was not proactively corrected, of course, at your expense. They are now making sure the older cars are as safe as possible. At least I hope that is the primary reason.

If it's a safety issue due to Tesla's design flaw then it shouldn't be at the owners expense.