Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery health test

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Everyone reading along is aware that this is in the tesla SERVICE menu, which is (technically) ment to be accessed by service personnel right?

I mean, people can do what they want with their cars, and I am not a tesla insider, but I do work in IT. There is a less than zero percent chance that every access of that menu isnt logged somewhere.

I doubt running the test in this thread does anything, but people should be aware that they are likely logging that they are accessing menus ment for tesla service. If you make a mistake in there and do something that damages something, there will be no hiding it from anyone.
Not sure why this would be a problem. The Battery Health Test was advertised in the 2022.36 release notes, which I would read as indicating this is a feature available for the general public. Why would I care whether Tesla logs that I run this test?

Test complete:

Battery Health: 90%
Miles on car: 24,028 miles
Purchased: March 2021
MY AWD
So now we see two tests showing 89% and 90% battery health after 36k and 24k miles respectively.
Is this normal? I would not have expected the health to be down 10% so soon. I am assuming that "health" means percentage of design capacity here.

I will be running this test in the next couple of days. I have 34,500 miles on my May, 2021 Long Range Model Y. The indicated full charge range is also 294 miles (+/-1) very similar to Pianewman's Model Y. I expect my test will also show about an 89% battery health. Based on the anecdotal evidence here, this amount of battery degradation in not uncommon. It seems possible (I'm not saying it's probable) that Tesla will be replacing a lot of batteries on 7 year old long range Model Ys with less than 120,000 miles on them. I know everyone says that the degradation is rapid at first, then levels out, but this is not the pattern I've seen on my MYLR.

Last edited:
Before y'all start your hand-wringing about premature failure, consider what experienced folk on this forum are saying.

EARLY degradation around 10% is normal. Then it tapers. How much? YMMV.

I don't have any numbers, but there are probably a few thousand MYLR on the road with 50-60k miles, and I've not read of any early HV battery replacements due to degradation. Someone reading this will probably scramble and find that info, which would be valuable.

Big Earl...what say you?

Not sure why this would be a problem. The Battery Health Test was advertised in the 2022.36 release notes, which I would read as indicating this is a feature available for the general public. Why would I care whether Tesla logs that I run this test?
Really? Do you have a picture of that, as it certainly isn't in the release notes that the car displayed to me. (Or are you talking about unofficial release notes on sites like notateslaapp.com, which lie and say they are official?)

There is a lot more that people can do in service mode other than run that test, and its "service mode". I just mentioned it because the OP of this thread did not, and people may not be aware that its not just "likely" every access of that mode is logged, its virtually impossible it isnt.

Ill give you another example. If someone goes in service mode and re triggers a firmware download, and somehow the car doesnt operate properly after that, would tesla be within their rights to charge diagnostic fees to remedy, and for repair costs? (the answer is yes, they would).

Is it likely they do so? I dont know. No one knows what tesla will do as it relates to service, especially with the person at the helm of the company. I am not trying to bring the conversation into one about the ceo (as I have no desire at all to engage in any discussion on that topic), just point out that teslas actions can be unpredictable as a company, and one should know what chances they are taking when they access modes that are not in the regular menus, and theoretically require knowledge from the service catalog to access.

Since the service catalog is available to end users after signing up, or at least it was, this isnt "hidden" but its also not a selection in the regular menu.

I just thought everyone should know that anything they do in there will be logged, do with that whatever you want.

Really? Do you have a picture of that, as it certainly isn't in the release notes that the car displayed to me. (Or are you talking about unofficial release notes on sites like notateslaapp.com, which lie and say they are official?)
You could be right and I don’t have a picture. It’s possible I only learned of the feature on TMC rather than from the release notes on my car, in which case maybe this feature isn’t intended for general consumption.

Reactions: JonB65 and MP3Mike
You could be right and I don’t have a picture. It’s possible I only learned of the feature on TMC rather than from the release notes on my car, in which case maybe this feature isn’t intended for general consumption.

It wasnt in the release notes (as displayed in the car) on either my model 3 or Y either (and I dont consider third party sites to be official release notes) but I wasnt going to dispute someone else saying they saw it there.

Just ran this test on my 2020 MYP with 82k miles.

battery health is at 85%.

I’d like my new 100kwh battery Installed next week please, by Elon himself.
It's impossible to interpret sarcasm here...

Are you serious? I'd say a 15% deterioration in 82 k miles (in the heat of Texas?) is totally acceptable, and predictable.

Reactions: Duke846
It's impossible to interpret sarcasm here...

Are you serious? I'd say a 15% deterioration in 82 k miles (in the heat of Texas?) is totally acceptable, and predictable.
Yes total sarcasm. Lol.

I’m happy with the battery capacity at the moment. But if Elon offered to install a new 100kwh battery I wouldn’t say no. The TX wind and speed limits have my actual range at around 180 miles.