Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery heater icon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw an image on Facebook where a guy was warming up his model S and he had a battery heater icon in the top left. I have never seen that on my Model 3? It it not available on the 3?

5D20D239-1399-47F0-BE54-16BF93800BAE.jpeg

I saw an image on Facebook where a guy was warming up his model S and he had a battery heater icon in the top left. I have never seen that on my Model 3? It it not available on the 3?

View attachment 615628

Never seen that on the app with Model 3. It might be because the Model 3 doesn't have a battery heater as such so there is no separate battery heater being switched on ... our battery is heated via some clever jiggery pockery with the motor stators which achieves the same outcome without the dedicated battery heater hardware (so I'm led to believe).

It’s both motors.
Both stators draw around 3kW each (if I’m not mistaken. Might be 3.5) to heat up the coolant which then gets passed around the batteries.
It’s neat but does make me worry a bit about the longevity of the stator windings).

3 kW is a tiny amount of power, though. Each motor is rated at far more than that, IIRC, it's something like 190 kW for the rear motor, 120 kW for the front motor, or thereabouts. Those are peak ratings, but normally the motor continuous rating will be somewhere around 20% to 30% of the peak rating, so that still gives a continuous rating of at least 40 kW rear, 25 kW front.

As a cross check, using realistic continuous motor power when driving, then if driven at motorway speeds we know the car tends to use around 350 to 400 Wh/mile. Working backwards from there suggests that the combined motor power at motorway speeds must be around 26 kW. As the SR+ can happily cruise at motorway speeds without any problem, that suggests that the rear motor alone is capable of delivering at least 26 kW for hours on end.

Reactions: ACarneiro
Could that be the sound I’m hearing after a short drive?

Not sure it's very distinctive. I've tested mine and it seems to wind down the stators if there were running when the seat detects your no longer there.

More likely to be the HVAC fan I think. This runs from if AC has been on in a Tesla attempt to reduce odour etc.

@ACarneiro yes indeed it is, I've found I tend to hear the front one more not sure if any reason other than being near the driver. 3.5 each max

Not sure it's very distinctive. I've tested mine and it seems to wind down the stators if there were running when the seat detects your no longer there.

More likely to be the HVAC fan I think. This runs from if AC has been on in a Tesla attempt to reduce odour etc.

@ACarneiro yes indeed it is, I've found I tend to hear the front one more not sure if any reason other than being near the driver. 3.5 each max
Thanks. I don’t believe it’s the HVAC. I hear this noise when it’s in Hold, or Drive. As soon as I put my car in park it stops and what I think are the stator motors seem to labor a bit. I’m interested in any other thoughts as to what this might be.I found this. It’s a model X. Exactly the same stator sound and similar sound in drive or hold.
2021 Model X Long Range + Has Pedestrian Warning

Last edited by a moderator:
With the motor running at 26kW I’d guess there would be way less than 3kW dissipated as heat in the motor.

The motors will be around 90% efficient at a guess, might be as good as maybe 92% or so at peak efficiency. Normal waste heat would be around 2.6 kW when running at 26 kW, but in preconditioning mode the rotors aren't turning, so all the power in the stator coils will be just heating up the coolant, and so warming the battery pack.