Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery loss after 69K

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently almost all charging has been in the 60% to 80% area, the 85 pack was due for a range charge and seeing as we had a free day it was a good opportunity to get a few questions answered.
Question 1. What has been the loss of usable capacity?
Question 2. How far can this car go on a charge? This is a question we get asked constantly from many different people, it's hard to explain that it's not that important, and will be less important when fast chargers are common place across the country, we normally give an answer of 400-420kms if we needed to go that far, as a matter of interest during yesterday's trip we passed through 4 different locations with fast chargers, in the South West it's just not necessary to use the full battery capacity.
Driving conditions were excellent yesterday, warm and dry, fairly flat terrain, mostly smooth surface, lots of holiday traffic but flowing smoothly, highest speeds 105kmh but lots of 80-90 around the outskirts of built up areas.
To be honest if we drove the coastal road North of Perth getting 400kms would be hard work, the course road surface and relentless wind takes its toll on energy consumption.
Anyway the answer to Q1 is a 3.7% loss of useable capacity after 69,000kms.
Q2. When next asked how far we can go on a charge we can honestly say 452kms with the airconditioner switched on.

image.jpg

That's impressive. I have a model S85. Single motor. When I charge fully it indicates around 385 km of range. I haven't tested to see how far I can go without recharging. What range was your car indicating when you had it fully charged before you drove the 452 km?

That's impressive. I have a model S85. Single motor. When I charge fully it indicates around 385 km of range. I haven't tested to see how far I can go without recharging. What range was your car indicating when you had it fully charged before you drove the 452 km?

Full charge shows 380kms typical range, ALTHOUGH ( in nice big letters) from what I understand charging the battery in the mid range (60% to 80% ) and rarely going below 20% before recharging throws out the accuracy of typical range to a small degree, a more accurate check is calculating the energy consumed compared to the original useable.
It's probably not worth the effort unless your car has 50k or more on the odometer and you have the opportunity and time available to check.
It's really pleasing to see how well the Tesla battery packs are holding up across the world, and to think in terms of battery developement they may be leading the way but in reality the tech is at the lower end of a very steep learning curve, the future is exciting for motorists, the big carmakers are going to have to work hard to build cars that last as long as the battery packs, their excitement will not be so evident.

Full charge shows 380kms typical range, ALTHOUGH ( in nice big letters) from what I understand charging the battery in the mid range (60% to 80% ) and rarely going below 20% before recharging throws out the accuracy of typical range to a small degree, a more accurate check is calculating the energy consumed compared to the original useable.
It's probably not worth the effort unless your car has 50k or more on the odometer and you have the opportunity and time available to check.
It's really pleasing to see how well the Tesla battery packs are holding up across the world, and to think in terms of battery developement they may be leading the way but in reality the tech is at the lower end of a very steep learning curve, the future is exciting for motorists, the big carmakers are going to have to work hard to build cars that last as long as the battery packs, their excitement will not be so evident.

@Blue heaven When I use the energy graph in projected average range mode, which I do often for an indication of range remaining on a trip. The mathematical relationship for battery capacity (calculated by using the car's projected range) has me wondering if this shifts with time to give an indication of useable battery as it degrades, or if it is a fixed constant at the original useable capacity.

In my case below; projected 382km @ 148Wh gives 56.54kWh energy which when divided by current battery state (79%) gives me a useable 71.57kWh. This works closely for whichever range set you use (10, 25 or 50km). So, if this includes degradation, this seems very low if the original pack was 75kWh with 71.5kWh useable (3.5kWh anti-brick)? Car has done 25000km 12 months.

The range indicator, when on distance, is now at 472km (out of an original 499km) and this dropped quickly from 494km after an update in Mar/Apr 2020
average_range.jpg

The range indicator, when on distance, is now at 472km (out of an original 499km) and this dropped quickly from 494km after an update in Mar/Apr 2020
My Model 3 is nearly 10 months old now, but only done 2989 km, if I charge to 100% it now shows 497km as opposed to 499 km when new. If that’s representative of battery capacity that is exceedingly good. Time is an important factor as well as charge cycles. I generally keep it charged between 250 and 350 km.

My Model 3 is nearly 10 months old now, but only done 2989 km, if I charge to 100% it now shows 497km as opposed to 499 km when new. If that’s representative of battery capacity that is exceedingly good. Time is an important factor as well as charge cycles. I generally keep it charged between 250 and 350 km.
My Model 3 is also 10 months old. Way back when mine had 2969 km it showed 499km range which was the same as new. Now with 17,250km it reports 486 km range which represents a 2.6% loss. According to Telsafi this in the middle of the 106 vehicles it is tracking with similar KMs to mine.
@SaturnV Mine, also took a large range drop after an update in Mar/Apr 2020. I imagine the green fleet average line did not drop in the same manner as every other car would have had a different KM reading to mine when updated. The recent range plunge on my cars blue graph is straight after me doing the update from 2020.36.10 to 2020.36.11 a week or two ago.

upload_2020-10-11_23-20-59.png

I have a 3 year old model X 75D. After around 50000 km i am getting a maximum useable battery capacity of around 62 kwh. I complained to Tesla and they replied that as long as I am getting at least 70% battery capacity out to 8 years or 240000 km they are not really interested.

Here is my MX75D 2018.
Percent Loss: 10.09 %
Is the starting point early 2018 or late 2018? 10% Loss in 2 years is different to 10% in 3.

That level of degradation is better than the LEAF but I would be a little disappointed with that result in a Tesla. Although you have done a lot of driving in those 2 or 3 years - way more than I ever do in a year.

What level do you normally charge to, and do you supercharge very often?