Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unhappily, I’m not seeing it on v.50.2 either.

Of course, I am using the heaters when plugged in already, so that might be prempting the battery heaters. Gonna try an experiment tomorrow, and hope it’s cold enough.

I’ve got the latest software and battery heating. The battery icon does/may appear when you preheat the cabin from the app and the car is NOT plugged in.

The feature does not appear to be independently controlled...I wish it was.

I’m not really clear on what the purpose is at this point. It must consume far more energy than what is gained from full regen.

If it is independently controllable, then you could gain function by leaving for a long, cold drive with a warm battery to maximize range, or prewarm a battery so you can supercharge at full power immediately. I have left a Supercharging session with reduced power and regen, that was surprising.

It’s going to be cold for the next week or so here in MN, so I’ll try to learn more about the functionality and post here.

I've done some quick tests. The car will use the battery heater and the app shows it as the little icon. No way to manually start of stop it. Logging the CAN bus it works the same as always, It heats the battery until it is aprox 8 Celsius. Thn the battery heater stops. Regen is still limited at that battery temperature. To get full regen the battery must be at 20 C.

Evidence for that? I've had my car fully "cold soaked" many times at 10C without seeing regen limits. Really don't start seeing any limits until the ambient temperature is under 10C.

Looking at the CAN bus data. There is a value that shows the max regen amount in kW. It goes from 0 to 100 kW. The orange line in the dashboard disappears when the limit is 30 kW or higher, but there is still a limit. Just yesterday I drove around and watched the battery temperature go up as I drove and with it the regen limit went up. At 0 Celsius (or lower) regen is disabled. At 20 Celsius the limit is 100 kW.
Now the interesting part is that despite the value going all the way to 100 kW, I have never been able to get my car to regen more than 64 kW. Even when I once drove at 125 mph and the let the accelerator go. Just over 60 kW seems to be the max in my Model S.
The other interesting thing is that when the max regen on the CAN bus shows 60 kW, the car will not regen 60 kW. It will maybe to 30-40 kW. It seems that even though the limit is higher not go all the way to the limit.

• Informative
Reactions: henderrj
Well, regardless, I get no regen limits at +10C. Below that if the car has been exposed long enough I start getting limits.

I suppose the car might limit itself regen to 60 kW, but the pack might have higher limits than that at warmer temperatures. Seems to me, in this context, "regen" is "charging". Superchargers can of course go over 100 kW. Something doesn't quite line up.

We had a cold morning here in southern Michigan. -4 F or -20 C
Car software is 2017.50.2 and the phone software is 3.2.3
The Model S was in the garage and fully charged overnight.
I turned on the Climate heating and left the phone on that screen.
After a minute or so I saw a small red battery icon with the snowflake symbol on the Climate screen.
After another minute the battery icon extinguished and the car continued heating...

This evening I turned on climate heating while plugged in and if I left the Climate screen
the heating turned off...

?

Well, regardless, I get no regen limits at +10C. Below that if the car has been exposed long enough I start getting limits.

I suppose the car might limit itself regen to 60 kW, but the pack might have higher limits than that at warmer temperatures. Seems to me, in this context, "regen" is "charging". Superchargers can of course go over 100 kW. Something doesn't quite line up.

I've noticed limited regen in a 2013 P85 even though there was no dashed yellow line on the power meter. I had started driving and the indicator was present, but it went away as the battery warmed up, as expected. However, full regen still wasn't available for several more minutes after the indicator disappeared. I'd estimate that it would do about 45 kW when the indicator disappeared, slowly increasing to the full 60 kW.

That could potentially be misleading. When you first start up the car the pack heater and cabin heater are at high power. They show up on the power meter, so even if you are doing regen at 60 kW, the meter will fall short of that.

I did some more experimenting with the battery heating.
The first few times I called for cabin heat, it showed heating for a few seconds
and then stopped. The car was "asleep."
I locked the car with my phone and that woke it up.
Another request for cabin heat started and showed the "battery cold/heating" icon.
I have attached a picture.

Battery Heat.PNG

It's still heating.

That could potentially be misleading. When you first start up the car the pack heater and cabin heater are at high power. They show up on the power meter, so even if you are doing regen at 60 kW, the meter will fall short of that.

There was definitely no consumption showing on the meter when the car was stationary (certainly not 12 kW) and the weather wasn't cold enough for much, if any, battery heating (only dropped to about 40-45F overnight). I made note of it because I noticed about 5 kW of consumption showing up on the meter on a trip on 105F weather this past summer in the same car. That was from the A/C compressor cooling both the cabin and the battery.

I'm not sure how much time you would have to leave the car alone if you wanted to go out and have the battery fully heated (so that you did not experience any regen limits). Not sure if that is what this feature is supposed to do, or if it is just supposed to get you closer to that point. However, I do know that the cabin heat is ready to go much faster than the battery. I normally preheat the car for 20 or so minutes, and never in that time have I gotten to the car and had a fully heated battery (it's been below freezing here lately). I'm not sure if the intent is for me to start heating the car an hour before (or some such) so that the battery is fully warm, but I can tell you that 20 minutes isn't enough when the temps are as cold as we've had lately.

I'm not sure how much time you would have to leave the car alone if you wanted to go out and have the battery fully heated (so that you did not experience any regen limits). Not sure if that is what this feature is supposed to do, or if it is just supposed to get you closer to that point. However, I do know that the cabin heat is ready to go much faster than the battery. I normally preheat the car for 20 or so minutes, and never in that time have I gotten to the car and had a fully heated battery (it's been below freezing here lately). I'm not sure if the intent is for me to start heating the car an hour before (or some such) so that the battery is fully warm, but I can tell you that 20 minutes isn't enough when the temps are as cold as we've had lately.

The battery heater only heats the battery up to 8°C, which is not enough to completely eliminate the regen limit. It seems that the new "feature" just shows you when the battery heater is active. 8°C battery temperature is good for about 30 kW of regen. The battery also has a lot of thermal mass and can take longer to heat up than the cabin if it has been cold soaked.