Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery range - not looking like 310

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry, I was asking @TexasEV if the warning about charging to full occurs only at 100% or 91%-100%. I should have actually quoted them.
I’ve never set the slider between 90 and 100% so I don’t know for sure, but it’s unlikely to trigger the warning as the two options on the original Model S firmware were daily (92%) and trip (100%).

• Informative
Reactions: BioSehnsucht
EPA rating is done going 50 mph on cruise control on a flat road with no wind and the A/C off, and under normal ambient temperature conditions (is what Tesla told me)
That is nowhere near correct. The EPA test cycle includes various speed, temperature, and duration to mimic city and highway driving, and some with air conditioning. Search EPA test cycle for detailed explanations of the test methods.

Sorry, I was asking @TexasEV if the warning about charging to full occurs only at 100% or 91%-100%. I should have actually quoted them.

@BioSehnsucht, the warning notice shows up if you charge OVER 90% (anything over 90%) for 3 consecutive charging sessions where it reaches a charging limit that exceeds 90%. I speak from experience. However, having said that, I routinely charged my Model S to 95% the first year that I owned it, and 4 1/2 years and 52,000 miles into ownership, I have lost a whopping 1.5% of my range. Now, I charge to 90% the vast majority of the time, but occasionally charge to 95%-100% just because :).

• Informative
Reactions: BioSehnsucht
Any vampire drain would be reflected as soon as you turned on the car. If you're seeing a range drop after you started driving it's because of your driving style. AC, aggressive acceleration, high speed with all contribute to the range going down. You can definitely achieve or exceed 310 miles of range with efficient driving.
No way I can do 310 miles.. I have the 19 inch sport wheels

..unless maybe I average 60mph on the freeway..

With the Aeros on I can get around 310 driving at 70mph. Taking maximum advantage of regen will also increase your range.

Same here. 300 mi trip 150 mi each way, about half 75- 80 mph fwy and half 55-65 two-lane. Got a little over 318. I'm used to EVs and don't do a lot of throttle changing, drive gently unless I'm passing a Corvette, etc. With Aeros, which I think look cool and actually do something.

I suspect that regen won't make a lot of difference. It's likely how you drive, and should be embraced. I mean, we're talking a few cents on a trip. The enjoyment is worth the price of admission.

"Yeah, they say it'll get 325 miles per charge, but it's too much of a sport, so I don't quite get that much".

No one has mentioned to turn off Always Connected. That keeps the car awake and prevents deep sleep mode. When my MS was new I had loss issues due to lack of sleep but now negligible- hope it helps.
No one has mentioned it because it doesn’t exist in the Model 3. I know S and X owners are trying to be be helpful but please don’t assume the firmware is the same.

Same here. 300 mi trip 150 mi each way, about half 75- 80 mph fwy and half 55-65 two-lane. Got a little over 318. I'm used to EVs and don't do a lot of throttle changing, drive gently unless I'm passing a Corvette, etc. With Aeros, which I think look cool and actually do something.

I suspect that regen won't make a lot of difference. It's likely how you drive, and should be embraced. I mean, we're talking a few cents on a trip. The enjoyment is worth the price of admission.

"Yeah, they say it'll get 325 miles per charge, but it's too much of a sport, so I don't quite get that much".
On a long trips on the highway regen probably doesn't make a huge difference but I noticed it makes a huge different on a short drives. I like looking at the power consumption and I notice the average go way down each time I come to a complete stop with regen during city driving.