Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery size headache!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to decide my Model X final configuration by 6th. Still very confused about battery size, which one to choose? 75khw OR 90 kwh?? Don't want to throw away $10K for no reason. I do take 200 mile trip ones a week. Other wise always less than 50 miles a day. Any suggestions please?? Thanks in advance.

Thanks CA_Fabien for a quick reply. I really don't care about power or acceleration that much. I am in southern GA, so the weather is going to be warm most of the time. So, if I drive at 65 mph, it should give me 200 miles, correct at 80% charge??

I would recommend getting the 90kWh battery if you can afford it. I've owned a Model S 85 for 3 1/2 years. The choice isn't only about initial range. Over time you will experience some range degradation, which will make you appreciate having the longer range battery to begin with. Also, with the longer range battery, you will be able to replenish the same amount of miles at a faster rate at the supercharger stations. This became crystal clear when I took my 7,200 mile road trip (56 supercharger stations) last fall.

For me, it's roughly analogous to my prior iPhone purchase wherein I saved myself $100 by getting the lesser capacity. For the next three years I kicked myself every time I got the "storage full" message while taking video of a once in a lifetime moment. To save ~15% on the purchase price, I crippled my ownership experience for the entire life of the phone.

As others have posted, detours, weather delays, and degradation will all impact your ownership experience. Saving 10% now for a lesser battery may be something you regret for the entire life of the car.

I have >50k miles in a Model S and am now on my second Model S and I would always spring for the largest battery possible.

It is a BeV.
One of your constant thoughts/concerns/considerations will always be range given you can not stop at the corner gas station.
Having the extra battery simply reduces one of the primary issues with a BeV which is why I've always tended to go with the largest battery. This conversation is especially relevant for me as we are looking to replace my wife's S85 with a dual motor car. The new 75 offers almost the identical range of my wife's S85 but we will almost certainly go with the 90. It is not that her current car is deficient in any way; its just that the extra margin is comforting.

It sounds like this is your first EV and you're experiencing some range anxiety, pre-ownership.
I tend to agree with those who say go with the 90. I'm 3 years into my S85 and have driven it coast to coast and through some remote 225 mile stretches. I'm now very comfortable with the idea of a smaller pack size in my next Tesla but that comfort comes from experience with how I drive, how often I take trips and how well the Tesla keeps track of my distance to empty.
If you can afford it, get the 90. The extra capacity is single biggest feature you'll appreciate on your first long trip when something unexpected happens (construction detour, weather, etc).

Just like what everyone usually says... it all depends how much you are willing to spend. It seems like you are leaning toward the 75khw.

When you take your 200 miles trip, just charge it up to 90% - 100%. That will give you full capacity and you won't have any range anxiety. You can always take a tip stop and charge your car at a supercharger station (if one is available during your trip).

Even if you can't afford, get the bigger pack. You will never regret it, but if you get the smaller pack, real world experience will make you wish you did.

We had to decide between a CPO 60 and 85. The 60 was cheaper and have every box ticked off that I really wanted, except battery. Just before signing papers for it an 85 came in and was about 5K more, with 6,000 more miles. I changed from blue with black interior and no pano (which I still prefer) to white, tan interior, and a pano to get the battery. That is a big change, and I'm glad every single day my wife takes it on her trips. She has only called me once in 7 months wondering if she would make it home, and she did with 27 miles to spare. If we had gotten the 60, I'd be getting a lot more calls.

I normally charge to 90% and get about 220 rated miles. That really turns into about 175ish driving miles without any consideration to conservation. So if she tells me she has a bit more driving to do the night before, I now bump it up to 100% for about 240 rated miles and never a range call since. We only use the 100% charge once or twice a month, so no worries there.

She has yet to go to a Supercharger, which makes me happy.

I've decided that 75kWh is enough for me.

Your situation is a bit unusual because you have the weekly 200 mile trip. Is that round-trip or one-way? Under normal conditions, 200 miles should be easily doable if starting on a full charge. Are there superchargers along your route that you could use in unusually cold, rainy, or windy conditions? You likely wouldn't need much of a charge on those occasions you aren't quite able to make it comfortably on a full charge.

I see you're in Kingsland, GA, so you have a local supercharger, and it looks like there are superchargers within 100 miles in Savannah, Tifton, and St. Augustine. Obviously I don't know if any of those would work for your weekly trips.

Wow!! What a place to be to get an advise about Tesla?
Thank you so much friends. Yes, there is a supercharger, only 2 miles from my home and one in Savannah. but the Savannah one, is about 20 miles far from where I generally go. So, if I don't go there, in reality, it will be a 200 miles round trip. This is where it becomes tricky. I would love to have bigger battery, but $10000 seems a stretch. I still have today to decide. so, today will be the day for me to think about TESLA, nothing else.. LOL!! Thanks you so much all of you for your kind advises.

Wow!! What a place to be to get an advise about Tesla?
Thank you so much friends. Yes, there is a supercharger, only 2 miles from my home and one in Savannah. but the Savannah one, is about 20 miles far from where I generally go. So, if I don't go there, in reality, it will be a 200 miles round trip. This is where it becomes tricky. I would love to have bigger battery, but $10000 seems a stretch. I still have today to decide. so, today will be the day for me to think about TESLA, nothing else.. LOL!! Thanks you so much all of you for your kind advises.
I think after you use more climate controls and other function, it might reduce range further. So larger battery is better option, at least, this makes sense to me.