Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery steaming lately after charging? Is this normal? Just started after only 15,000KMS.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Where did you observe signs of vapor? Steam requires water to be heated above 100C. No components in the Tesla Model Y reach 100C while charging due to the cooling system. Perhaps your Tesla Model Y has a coolant leak. Check the overflow reservoir that is located in the frunk under plastic shroud on the passenger side for a low coolant level. Also check for signs of a coolant leak (blue liquid, slippery when touched) underneath the Tesla Model Y while parked. A coolant leak is a serious issue and you should have Tesla Service inspect the vehicle as soon as possible. You should not drive the Tesla Model Y if there is a coolant leak.

Upvote 0
Where did you observe signs of vapor? Steam requires water to be heated above 100C. No components in the Tesla Model Y reach 100C while charging due to the cooling system. Perhaps your Tesla Model Y has a coolant leak. Check the overflow reservoir that is located in the frunk under plastic shroud on the passenger side for a low coolant level. Also check for signs of a coolant leak (blue liquid, slippery when touched) underneath the Tesla Model Y while parked. A coolant leak is a serious issue and you should have Tesla Service inspect the vehicle as soon as possible. You should not drive the Tesla Model Y if there is a coolant leak.
Front by the headlights, happened lately a few times.

Upvote 0
Front by the headlights, happened lately a few times.
That would be where I would check for any sign of coolant leaking, dripping onto the floor/ground underneath the Model Y. (In 2.5 years of ownership I have never observed any steam coming from my Model Y when charging or otherwise.)

I would ask the local Tesla Service Center whether the steam/vapor observed while charging is normal.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mine had a HUGE cloud of steam/vapor come from under the frunk about 5 minutes into supercharging at 250kW when it was ~45F out and wet from rain. Think of BBQ going full force for five or ten minutes with the lid closed and then someone finally opening the lid. It was A LOT, but stopped after about 5 seconds.

Upvote 0
Yes. Is that normal then?
Yes. Has never happened to me but I've heard of it. You could web search "tesla battery steaming after supercharging"

The car has cameras and should have a popup "I notice steam from the front of the car. Not to worry, we are just cooling down the flux capacitor".

I suppose they will get to that eventually.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
We have seen this a few tines with our model Y at a supercharger in cold weather. Last winter we would stop to charge after skiing lessons in 3C weather. Charging would begin, then after 10 to 15 minutes there must be a change in heat direction such that the car discharges heat quickly through the front radiator, we would see a brief discharge of steam out the front wheel wells. Never seen this with our S. Likely the Y is able to quickly move excess heat and quickly dries off the rad coils.

Upvote 0