Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Be careful, park with your rear seat down

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last week while at dinner in San Jose, CA, there were a few cars broken into. Standard process where a guy peeks into the rear of the Tesla (or whatever other car), breaks a window if he doesn't see what he wants to see, folds down the rear seat, and then checks the trunk for goodies. I try to remember to park with my rear seat down, and did on this occasion, which saved me from a break-in. My co-worker who has a red model 3 was not so lucky, as was another co-worker with a model S (not pictured) and a visiting co-worker in a rental Mazda (not pictured). From what I heard, in the 10-20 minutes where the security was on a shift change when this happened, 4-5 cars were damaged.

Here are the jerks checking my car. I had my rear seat folded down, so the person saw enough and moved on...

TeslaCam Side View:
Blackvue Rear View:

Then, a minute later, same car pulls into the next aisle and broke the window of a red Model 3...

Blackvue Front View:

People suck. My co-workers have reported this to the police.

Why isn’t this happening in Texas, or New York, or anyplace else? Oh, right...California

Proposed Bill Would Close Loophole In CA Car Break-In Law

California law now states that smashing a window and stealing items from inside a car can be charged as felony burglary only if prosecutors can prove that the car’s doors were locked. If not, it’s misdemeanor theft.

And the cops usually won't even bother trying to track someone down for misdemeanor theft.

They've tried several times to "fix" the law on this (see link above for a couple examples) but no luck so far because...well...nobody seems real clear on why.