Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Before buying your Tesla, did you ever Test Drive one?

Before buying your Tesla, did you ever Test Drive one?

• Yes, I test drove the exact model

Votes: 68 30.1%
  • Yes, but it was a different model (LR vs SR, S vs X etc)

Votes: 49 21.7%
  • No, but I had sat in one in the show room

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • No, but I had been in someone elses Tesla which made me decide to buy

Votes: 10 4.4%
  • No, but I had been in a different manufacturers EV which made me decide to buy

Votes: 8 3.5%
  • No, but I have had a good look at one from the outside

Votes: 15 6.6%
  • No, but decided to buy from the reviews etc

Votes: 46 20.4%
  • I didn't have a clue what I was buying

Votes: 6 2.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No test drive for me either. Had the opportunity to sit in a LHD one at the Stockport SC when they were ferrying one Red LR around the country for the reservation holders. The bet was to convince the wife :) She was impressed by it so proceeded with the order. Her only condition was to order a red one and I happily obliged :)

Managed to just about sit in a model 3 at a Beaulieu event in summer 19. The amount of people and kids around and in it was crazy. Felt so different and simplistic I loved it but didn't see it as a potential car. I was very much enjoying my Golf R. My job changed and the company I work for had charging points so got me thinking. Ordered an M3P in Jan 20 after reading/watching great reviews. My only concern was build quality, which thankfully just had a couple of minor points which were quickly corrected.

Everyone is different, personally I didn't want to know everything about the car before I got it, as it takes a bit of the excitement away for me. The reviews and performance figures were enough to take the plunge. No regrets!

Reactions: Drew57
FWIW, we never had a test drive (we tried to arrange one earlier in the year but the pandemic restrictions prevented that) and have never even sat in one. (Still haven't, as the M3 remains on order.) I watched a ton of videos before we ordered and we've owned EVs for almost eight years, so it didn't feel like too much of a gamble. The supercharger network swung it in the end - that, and the fact that it became possible to get one via a salary sacrifice lease. If it had been entirely our money, it would have been a toss-up between (a lower-spec or even SH) M3 and the cheapest Polestar 2. Time will tell if we've made a good decision or not.

Depending on your requirements some of us are in a niche of a niche, and there aren't that many options so you have to take what you want. The Tesla may or may not have turned out to be an M3 competitor, but it was the only BEV even in the ball park. It is the -only- car faster than a Luke warm hatch that can tow. For that I would (and do) forgive many foibles.

For others the charging network is the thing - easily doing long trips out weighs any comparison of 9/10 for handling Vs 9.5/10. There are enough online reviews to know that it isn't fundamentally broken, so if that 0.5 isn't the crux for you, or getting a test drive then meh.

Also, slot of people hate that cross shopping thing, fighting over features and penny pinching sales goits.

I'd say try it if you can, but I wouldn't not buy without if you are too far from a showroom/someone with one.

And finally, a grand for a couple of weeks is a little more than the PCP payments if that is how you operate your finances. If you can afford a Tesla, it's probably not the end of the world. Might sting a bit, but it's not going to put you on the streets. If you are stretching your finances, then you are going to be more careful, or more sure.

I'm a use it till it falls apart kind of person, but I do see this as a reasonable way to do things.
I guess that’s where we differ. A grand is a LOT of money. And if you’re buying a Tesla you’re spending a lot of money to throw more away. I care about cars and have a love of them so I’d have to test drive it. I guess we might have hit in the nub of the Tesla thing. They are cars for people who maybe don’t even like cars. Cars as, albeit cringey, statement. If you think, like people do with apple, that a giant tech or manufacturing firm are worth admiting then you’ll probably queue for and buy their products regardles

I guess that’s where we differ. A grand is a LOT of money. And if you’re buying a Tesla you’re spending a lot of money to throw more away. I care about cars and have a love of them so I’d have to test drive it. I guess we might have hit in the nub of the Tesla thing. They are cars for people who maybe don’t even like cars. Cars as, albeit cringey, statement. If you think, like people do with apple, that a giant tech or manufacturing firm are worth admiting then you’ll probably queue for and buy their products regardles
After a bit of Youtuberry I was pretty convinced I’d give it a decent go, say 12 months or so, and after checking the prices of nearly new ones on Pistonheads it seemed like a reasonably safe bet. I don’t believe, from previous experience, a test drive would’ve added anything.

I bought my Land Rover Defender having never sat in a modern one. I reckon a short test drive would have put me off: they are an acquired taste. Ditto a couple of sports bikes.

I reckon if it was something more mundane it would make sense to test it. Some of the Ford, Renault etc hire cars I’ve rented have nearly driven me mad with their quirky ‘features’, but the M3 seemed too significant to be able to distill into a short drive.

That said, a couple of colleagues have been instantly sold after I’ve let them drive the M3 up and down the nearest bypass!

Disagree on the ‘cars for people who don’t like cars’. I’m in the racing and high performance car industry and grew up on exhaust fumes and Castrol R, owning Porsches and super bikes. I’d hate for such things to disappear from the racetrack or classic scene, but if nobody made a new ICE road car again I’d be happy. The M3 makes most of them obsolete, same as many ICE developments made their predecessors obsolete. No sensible person pines for drum brakes, or manual advance/retard (well maybe the Daily Telegraph core readership).

ICE has had its day and it was a good run.

That said, I’ve certainly never cared about a car like you. They’ve always been disposable once the next best thing comes along or there’s a few Bob to be made.

And it’d be a cold day in hell before I queued for a tech product, or anything other than beer frankly.

With the Tesla M3 so many vehicle journalists, presenters, car programmes on TV raved about the car and in my view they couldn't all be wrong, maybe its my size and build but I've never been in any car that I thought was particular uncomfortable including my very first car - a 65 Mini with the rubber bush suspension - so i had no fears the M3P would disappoint. The fact the car was just 6 months old and a super Tesla guarantee 4,5 and 8 years meant I wasn't concerned about any little issues the car may have. I'm a car nut, a real petrol head, love cars and adore keeping them pristine. I also factored in the fact I'm retired and my annual mileage during Covid is about 1200 miles and prior to the lock down maybe only 3000 at best - so if the car had to go to a service centre and stay for a while - it isn't any hardship - so for my particular circumstances there are no negatives.
Over the 48 years of driving I've lost well over £150K in depreciation and regretted not one single transaction, every car I've had has brought pleasure - only bought one car that was me trying to be practical - a decision with the head and got rid of it 6 weeks later - so the pleasure with that one was seeing it go (A Vauxhall in the 80s) In my world you live once - so enjoy the ride, Never thought I cant afford that - more How can I afford that - Its just a state of mind.

I do take - and see the point @Neilio made, though don't fully agree with it "Cars for people that don't like cars" Tesla are really computers on wheels, its a tech thing, but something that has surpassed everything the ICE has achieved in well over 100 years, @15Peter20 hit the nail on the head - "Ice has had its day and it was a good run"

I know range anxiety is foremost in many EV owners minds and more so in prospective purchasers, doesn't help when people tell others not to worry then they see a reply to someone wanting 20 inch wheels or fitting Mud Flaps, or carrying a spare wheel -that It will affect range, Likewise when winter comes and range gets reduced because of heating the car and cold batteries - people are making it a bigger issue than it is.
Its a completely different attitude with ICE fans - they bolt stuff on and all others want to know is how its affected performance, MPG isn't usually considered at all.

Affordability is relative but many consider the Tesla range exceptionally expensive - so their expectations are well above their previous vehicles and are easily disappointed over what I would consider minor peculiarities the car displays, So the testicle heaters in the seats not achieving optimum temperature in a given time provokes intense reaction - OK I made that one up, but a real one is the wipers - just press the button on the stalk or set a speed on the touchscreen if the auto setting makes your blood boil - none of the foibles of the car has even slightly raised disappointment for me. So many more positives than negatives and fingers crossed the foibles will get ironed out in the long run - My Glass is half full not half empty.

I put in an order as soon as I sold my RAV4EV, putting $40,000 down. My wife says they let me drive one up and down the road by the Fremont factory, just after they bought it from Toyota. My VIN was 000064, about the eighth Model S to be sold to a non-employee. After that, I've bought three more Teslas, now one for my wife. I let anyone who asks for a ride to drive it, for I've found out that if you drive one, it's pretty certain you'll buy it. I have a whole list of people that have bought Teslas after driving either my S or Milli's 3. ( which is her license plate number: MILLI'S 3, the apostrophe being a piece of tape) I'm wondering when I'll see a car with the plate, "KISSMY S". Oh, well, probably won't. Anyone?

A dollar is a LOT of money if you don't have it, and a grand isn't all that much if you've got it. I'd bought Tesla stock back when it sold for around $20 a share, and now I'm able to afford a new Tesla. I don't look at it as throwing money away. I now look at someone buying any gas car as throwing money away. Month by month, pollution blows out of their exhaust pipes and no one thinks that's a waste, while my car goes farther faster quieter on a fourth of what gas cars use.

On that note, it always makes me laugh when somebody has spent a grand or more making their car sound loud, as if that somehow makes it more powerful, whereas in a Tesla, power is quiet. Some people never seem to get it.

Fist post :)

I had my heart set on a Tesla last summer. I drove a 2017 (I think..) Model S 60D with absolutely no intention of buying it, I just told the dealer I was interested so I could scratch the itch that had been building for months. I found the S to be a bit big and floaty for my preferences so set my sights on a Model 3, even though it was less practical (Spaniel and baby..). Incidentally that Model S is still for sale now and the price has dropped quite a bit - I guess the 60D doesn't stack up as a good proposition when you can get more range (and lots more besides) for less money from a Model 3?

I then drove a Model 3 SR+ that had been used as a press-demo car (pictures/videos of my car all over the internet!) - and bought it on the day. Have zero regrets and absolutely love the car. I may switch to a Model Y if finances allow for it but for now I am loving the Model 3.

Reactions: Mperkins28 and MrT.
I found myself in a position at the start of lockdown 2020 with an ICE car facing huge bills and I didn't have much in the way of liquid assets at the time. I was aware of the 0% BIK and that a few people I knew in the NHS had leased EVs. I did the sums and it was a no brainer to lease an EV as a new car and get rid of the Lexus. Model 3 ticked most of my boxes although I preferred the e-tron for many reasons. Managed to get an e-tron test drive before lockdown properly started. I did a few test routes on ABRP looking at charging stops etc and was a bit concerned about the range of the etron. I had a few conversations with a friend who'd just changed from a Model S to a Model 3 and he said it was great. I ended up ordering a M3LR and got it in 3 weeks. Have had absolutely no range anxiety at all despite multiple long distance trips. After lockdown restrictions eased, I came across a few people (non Tesla) at the Ionity charger at Skelton Lake who'd been almost stranded by going on long journeys and not finding working charging options. I'm very glad I went with the Tesla despite its foibles. If the charging infrastructure improves significantly in 2 years I might consider a non Tesla but can't see myself ever going back to 'fossil' as Bjorn would put it.

The sheer elation of my first drive in 'my' Tesla through deserted Leeds and up the M1 / A1 is hard to forget.

Reactions: DigbyChicken
My Model 3 was the first Model 3 I saw in real life, on collection day in August 2019, there were very few about then :)

Had never driven any electric car.
@Neilio I agree, it's not the most sensible way to buy a car, but I knew I wanted my next car to be an EV.

I actually was waiting for Hyundai to fill my Kona order, but at the time nothing matched the Model 3 on paper, the biggest issue with non Tesla vehicles was (and still really is) the reliance on an immature and unreliable charging infrastructure and during my wait for the Hyundai I spent a lot of time researching others' experiences. So I cancelled the Hyundai order after months of waiting and ordered the Model 3, got it I think 5 weeks later.

Tesla at the time had a 7 day no quibble return for any reason, so long as you hadn't test driven one. So I figured that fairly mitigated the risk. As of this day I have no regrets :)

@Neilio I agree, it's not the most sensible way to buy a car, but I knew I wanted my next car to be an EV.

I actually was waiting for Hyundai to fill my Kona order, but at the time nothing matched the Model 3 on paper, the biggest issue with non Tesla vehicles was (and still really is) the reliance on an immature and unreliable charging infrastructure and during my wait for the Hyundai I spent a lot of time researching others' experiences. So I cancelled the Hyundai order after months of waiting and ordered the Model 3, got it I think 5 weeks later.

Tesla at the time had a 7 day no quibble return for any reason, so long as you hadn't test driven one. So I figured that fairly mitigated the risk. As of this day I have no regrets :)
I did test drive my Tesla and I do have regrets lol. One of the directors at work has a polestar II and he showed me around it. I wish I had waited for it now. It’s definitely more me than the Tesla. That being said I do benefit form the Tesla USP of the charging network at the moment

I did test drive my Tesla and I do have regrets lol. One of the directors at work has a polestar II and he showed me around it. I wish I had waited for it now. It’s definitely more me than the Tesla. That being said I do benefit form the Tesla USP of the charging network at the moment
If I were looking now, I would certainly consider the Polestar 2, although I do have some reservations around Android Automotive based on my experience of Android tablets trashing their own NAND after a year or so to the point where they’re slow beyond usable. As a car it’s a stunner though!

In reality, I don’t really need a car at the moment, and either is an expensive driveway ornament…