Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Before you purchase a Tesla...know this.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Know what you are getting into....

1) Poor caller support... I tried calling their support just now as my car is locked up..It's easter sunday, but they aren't even open...

2) Poor email support...Try sending them an email. I did 3 weeks ago about a concern...got a response a week back

3) Poor service and scheduling....If you check the schedule, it's 1 month lead time...Uh, what if an issue just occured. I guess I cant drive for a month.

I'm not bitter or anything, and luckily I have a second vehicle. I'm just telling you facts here. They aren't ready for prime time. I personally wouldn't use it as a primary vehicle without having some sort of backup.

Also, they feel they can solve every issue with a software update which I don't necessarily believe.

I've only had good to exceptional service with Tesla. 'Course I've only had mine for a bit over six years, so perhaps I haven't had it long enough.

No issues with email. They always reply--even if it's just a form type email.

Scheduling has never been an issue.

My S85 has been my primary vehicle for over six years and 122,000 miles.

Many issues have been resolved with software updates.

Sorry your experience has been otherwise, but all the Tesla owners I know have mostly similar experiences to mine.

Reactions: Seven7
I hate to say it - but these issue are why Audi, BMW, MB... will be very competitive when they have comparable ev's on the market. Which will be soon. I love my Tesla - but - customer service is a factor for my purchasing decision.
So far, none have a compelling EV, and by the time they do, they will still be behind in technology, range and performance. Customer service for my S85 has been far better than any dealer's service. I don't doubt there are some edge cases, but for the six years I've had mine, it's been at least good and often excellent.

The problem with Tesla’s service is it appears to be highly variable across locations. Not unlike the dealership model they are trying to avoid, honestly. If you have a well managed service center near, you are golden. But if you do not, it quickly turns into a terrible experience. I have 2 service centers near me (Burbank and Van Nuys) and I dread having to go into either. Neither can manage to fix everything on the ticket in one visit, have all the parts required when you show up, and neither answered their phones for months. Emails were never responded to, and the text system also had poor to no response times. Burbank is a little better about phones now that they have a night shift, but you have to call late at night. Mobile service hasn’t been any better, showing up without parts and needing multiple visits.

I have wasted more time than I care to tally dealing with mismanaged service on our cars. Any other brand and I would have already given up. My husband is one bad service experience away from selling his S at this point. We are keeping a close eye on those e-Trons. The Audi dealer near us has great service when we used to take our S4 there.

I have wasted more time than I care to tally dealing with mismanaged service on our cars. Any other brand and I would have already given up. My husband is one bad service experience away from selling his S at this point. We are keeping a close eye on those e-Trons. The Audi dealer near us has great service when we used to take our S4 there.
Besides a Tesla, I also have a Leaf. Nissan dealerships have at most one Leaf technician, who is never there when you need service--even if you make an appointment. This has been true for the past four years of Leaf ownership and the five or six Nissan dealerships in the area. I wouldn't expect the Audi dealerships to be any better.

Yes, it's starting to seem like it was a genius move to build the gigafactory for battery production.
Exactly. Besides battery supply, the legacy car manufacturers have even bigger problems. They have to keep profitable. They can only do that with legacy cars because it takes time, money, and corporate culture to go electric. So their electric cars are going to be as little as they can do. Lots of concept cars and promises for "next year". They have to keep their customers happy. Their customers are not you and I, they are the car dealers who do not want electric cars because the reduced service will put most of them out of business.

1) Poor caller support... I tried calling their support just now as my car is locked up..It's easter sunday, but they aren't even open...

2) Poor email support...Try sending them an email. I did 3 weeks ago about a concern...got a response a week back

3) Poor service and scheduling....If you check the schedule, it's 1 month lead time...Uh, what if an issue just occured. I guess I cant drive for a month.

I'm not bitter or anything, and luckily I have a second vehicle. I'm just telling you facts here. They aren't ready for prime time. I personally wouldn't use it as a primary vehicle without having some sort of backup.

Also, they feel they can solve every issue with a software update which I don't necessarily believe.
Sorry to hear that, I have never had issues with service. Once the front trunk got stuck, I called and made an appointment. The service car arrived to my home and it was a rainy day. The guy set up a mobile tent and fixed my car within 30 min. Next appointment I made through app to check the lights, easy and smooth again, very friendly, fast and convenient.

Just want to say, in my experience (six years, 175000 miles, 3 Teslas) I have never needed service. I keep hearing people complaining about service, and about service phone calls and about service emails. I have called service (more with a question than anything) and got an immediate response. I have emailed service with a question and got an immediate response (less than a day). They also have Service Rangers who will come out and fix a large range of things in your driveway. And many things don't need a Tesla Service Center. Costco will mount tires. What in the world do you need service for?

I would guess that being in LA you should not have a problem. I'm out in the hill country (100 miles north of San Francisco). I routinely drive over a hundred miles a day (like near 30,000 a year) and I just don't have problems. If I lived in LA, I'd offer to call for you.

But, you certainly don't need "service". There is no oil to change, no filters to replace, shouldn't need windshield wiper fluid in LA. Tires can be bought on line (Tire Rack has OEM) and any tire shop will put them on and balance them for around $25 a tire. Body work can best be done by a local body shop at a good price.

And, it doesn't hurt to get to know your Service Center. I see seven in the LA area within a sixty mile radius. My nearest is 115 miles away.

Just want to say, in my experience (six years, 175000 miles, 3 Teslas) I have never needed service. I keep hearing people complaining about service, and about service phone calls and about service emails. I have called service (more with a question than anything) and got an immediate response. I have emailed service with a question and got an immediate response (less than a day). They also have Service Rangers who will come out and fix a large range of things in your driveway. And many things don't need a Tesla Service Center. Costco will mount tires. What in the world do you need service for?

I would guess that being in LA you should not have a problem. I'm out in the hill country (100 miles north of San Francisco). I routinely drive over a hundred miles a day (like near 30,000 a year) and I just don't have problems. If I lived in LA, I'd offer to call for you.

But, you certainly don't need "service". There is no oil to change, no filters to replace, shouldn't need windshield wiper fluid in LA. Tires can be bought on line (Tire Rack has OEM) and any tire shop will put them on and balance them for around $25 a tire. Body work can best be done by a local body shop at a good price.

And, it doesn't hurt to get to know your Service Center. I see seven in the LA area within a sixty mile radius. My nearest is 115 miles away.
Curious? How is your response supposed to make people not as fortunate as you feel?

Never had issues with service either. I love the people there. Last Saturday I washed the car and saw that water creeped into the rear view camera again. (This was the second time). I emailed service right away. Within half an hour they replied. If I could come in right away. I drove to Vancouver the same afternoon and they changed the rear view camera with an updated version. Did all the other things out of courtesy as well like filling up washer fluid, checking tires etc.

On a side note. While waiting we went into the store. It was packed with people. The cars are going like hot cakes. They told me that about 80% of people doing a test drive end up ordering.
Not surprising a gas here is $1,70 per litre (CAD 7.72 per gallon) at the moment.

I've constantly said it; service absolutely will be the downfall of the company. It worked when they filled a niche market in the EV world and it works for the huggers that will never fault Tesla. However, Tesla sells about as many vehicles in a year as some companies sell in a month and it's still to a very select set of people.

In order for Tesla to truly be a mass market manufacturer they have to appeal to the masses. Porsche and Ferrari have the same issues depending on the dealer you have, or like me I know an independent shop that runs successful racing teams and I can avoid the dealer altogether. The point is Tesla can't expect to sell a $35k car (have they even delivered one yet?) and not have a service network setup for that. Another way to put it, Tesla want's to sell mass market, they'll have to deal with mass market type buyer.

Besides a Tesla, I also have a Leaf. Nissan dealerships have at most one Leaf technician, who is never there when you need service--even if you make an appointment. This has been true for the past four years of Leaf ownership and the five or six Nissan dealerships in the area. I wouldn't expect the Audi dealerships to be any better.

I guess it can go either way. Never had trouble getting a Volt technician with my local Chevy, it was really convenient actually. Audi should already have the technician network in place since they currently sell plug-ins, so I would have to check out the feedback on that.

1) Roadside assistance is open 24/7. Try calling a traditional dealership on Easter Sunday and they will be closed as well. Our MB ML63 AMG broke down on Christmas day. The local dealer was closed by roadside assistance picked up and got a tow, no problem. Tesla is the same.

3) Service centers will take your car in immediately if an emergency like a tow in. Often they will fix it right away.

I guess it can go either way. Never had trouble getting a Volt technician with my local Chevy, it was really convenient actually. Audi should already have the technician network in place since they currently sell plug-ins, so I would have to check out the feedback on that.
Shouldn't be a problem since it's a gas car with a battery. Lots of gas car technicians. I wonder if the Bolt will be the same?

I have 2 service centers near me (Burbank and Van Nuys) and I dread having to go into either.
I'm teetering on purchasing one but the local service center (Burbank) scares me a bit. After a sales pitch (good experience) in Pasadena, I went to the Burbank center to look around. There were 4-5 bored looking salespeople in the room, none of which could be bothered to assist. When I directly questioned one of them, the response was a lazy wave in the direction of one of the cars and that I could "take a look myself."
If the service at this location is similar to their sales, I'm concerned.