Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Beginning to Think that the M3 SR+ is the Best Choice - Here's Why

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings -

I bought the M3 LR RWD last year, and I've been very happy with my decision, and continue to be. But if I were in the market for a new M3 today my decision may be different.

When I bought the car last year the full Tax Credit was available, and the SR wasn't. The decision was easy, get the bigger battery, enjoy the tax credit and the upgrade cost would be less painful. The logic was reasonable. Tesla also had not announced the upgrade to V3 of their SuperChargers. Since I drive to visit family, with the LR I could make a round trip to many family members without concern about range. And when I had to drive a greater distance to visit other family members, the LR made the one way trip to them relatively painless.

Now, the SR+ is available for $7K less than the LR. Yes, you get some extra features with the LR Premium, but they may or may not be significant to many owners:
2-way power adjustable front and rear heated seats
Premium audio – 14 speakers, 1 subwoofer, 2 amps, and immersive sound
Satellite-view maps with live traffic visualization and navigation
In-car internet streaming music & media
Internet browser
Location aware automatic garage door opener

The range difference between the SR+ and the LR is listed at 85 miles - that's quite a bit, but for many people the extra range isn't critical. Even better, in a relatively short time the new V3 SuperChargers will roll out and existing chargers will allow full power to each user - no more sharing power between two users. The impact is that charging times will be less, making the range penalty of the SR+ less painful for many, and possibly irrelevant for those who have short daily commutes. Overnight, with a 240V 60AMP circuit the LR may charge a bit faster than the SR+ which seems to be limited to 40AMP top speed charging, but again that may not be critical for many.

Performance doesn't seem to suffer much, 0-60 is 5.3 in the SR+, 5.0 in the LR.

What is more relevant is the $7K price difference. The SR+, standard wheels, no other upgrades, now stickers at $37,500, it only went up $500 after the recent price adjustments. The LR is $44,500, having had a larger price increase. That $7K difference is just under a 19% greater price to move to the LR. That price that may be challenging to justify if you drive short distances most of the time, have a home charger of sufficient size, and want to get into a "well equipped" Tesla for a very reasonable price. The SR+ has more features than I expected at that price - the full glass roof being one of them, along with folding mirrors and some other things as well.

You may have a different opinion, but when people ask me about my car I tell them to take a good look at the SR+, which I think is the best value for most drivers.

I agree. With the amount I drive (not a lot and I don’t commute by car) I couldn’t justify the LR and the MR was a stretch. But the SR+ was enough of a value that I was able to justify it. I’ve been very happy so far.

One minor note: satellite view maps are included in the SR+. Just not a display of live traffic. I’m holding out hope I can purchase premium connectivity at some point in the future and get the traffic displayed on the map. Not a big deal if I can’t. The SR+ also includes power adjustable heated front seats, just not the heated rear seats. As I rarely am taking more than a second passenger, that didn’t matter at all to me.

Reactions: dhrivnak
Everyone's needs are different. While i could make sr+ work for me, my daily commute keeps the battery between 35 and 80% with the ability to gun it as much as i want. also the bigger the battery the faster it will supercharge.

I also enjoy the subwoofer and traffic maps. Id be back to using my phone for everything without it. But not everyone has such needs.

Reactions: KJD
Greetings -

I bought the M3 LR RWD last year, and I've been very happy with my decision, and continue to be. But if I were in the market for a new M3 today my decision may be different.

When I bought the car last year the full Tax Credit was available, and the SR wasn't. The decision was easy, get the bigger battery, enjoy the tax credit and the upgrade cost would be less painful. The logic was reasonable. Tesla also had not announced the upgrade to V3 of their SuperChargers. Since I drive to visit family, with the LR I could make a round trip to many family members without concern about range. And when I had to drive a greater distance to visit other family members, the LR made the one way trip to them relatively painless.

Now, the SR+ is available for $7K less than the LR. Yes, you get some extra features with the LR Premium, but they may or may not be significant to many owners:
Internet browser

The range difference between the SR+ and the LR is listed at 85 miles - that's quite a bit, but for many people the extra range isn't critical. Even better, in a relatively short time the new V3 SuperChargers will roll out and existing chargers will allow full power to each user - no more sharing power between two users. The impact is that charging times will be less, making the range penalty of the SR+ less painful for many, and possibly irrelevant for those who have short daily commutes. Overnight, with a 240V 60AMP circuit the LR may charge a bit faster than the SR+ which seems to be limited to 40AMP top speed charging, but again that may not be critical for many.

What is more relevant is the $7K price difference. The SR+, standard wheels, no other upgrades, now stickers at $37,500, it only went up $500 after the recent price adjustments. The LR is $44,500, having had a larger price increase. That $7K difference is just under a 19% greater price to move to the LR. That price that may be challenging to justify if you drive short distances most of the time, have a home charger of sufficient size, and want to get into a "well equipped" Tesla for a very reasonable price. The SR+ has more features than I expected at that price - the full glass roof being one of them, along with folding mirrors and some other things as well.

You may have a different opinion, but when people ask me about my car I tell them to take a good look at the SR+, which I think is the best value for most drivers.

I agree. I also bought a LR RWD last year. My daily commute is 11 miles. Take 1-2 road trips per year. Easily could have done with an SR+ but at the time I bought my car there were doubts the SR would ever get made and the full tax credit was going away so I felt pressured to buy.

Everyone's needs are different. While i could make sr+ work for me, my daily commute keeps the battery between 35 and 80% with the ability to gun it as much as i want. also the bigger the battery the faster it will supercharge.

I also enjoy the subwoofer and traffic maps. Id be back to using my phone for everything without it. But not everyone has such needs.

SR+ pay $100 yr traffic maps+streaming..

Agree to disagree This is not a one size fits all situation. If my commute was short I would agree with you, but I also would have already bought a Leaf, Fiat, i3, or Ioniq and not waited for the Model 3. With another vehicle available to road trip with and a shorter commute then the SR+ fits the bill. But with a long commute, expectations of long term ownership to minimize TCO, the LR was my choice. I just have to suffer through the additional acceleration, supercharger speeds, range and other upgrades that I had to take. Poor me. But in all seriousness, Tesla has done a great job of creating wide appeal to the product selection. It's only limited by your tolerance to give them money

While a one-size never fits all, it's great to have choices. I needed to get in my car and GO! 3 hours one evening for a family emergency. The last thing anyone wants to do in that situation is sit and charge. I was kissing my long range that night.

Since the SR+ (with Partial Premium interior) is listed as having "Upgraded audio – immersive sound" and the LR (with Premium interior) is listed as having "Premium audio – 14 speakers, 1 subwoofer, 2 amps, and immersive sound", what specifically is missing from the Partial Premium's Upgraded Audio?

Thanks in advance and please provide as much detail as you can.
Stach

Since the SR+ (with Partial Premium interior) is listed as having "Upgraded audio – immersive sound" and the LR (with Premium interior) is listed as having "Premium audio – 14 speakers, 1 subwoofer, 2 amps, and immersive sound", what specifically is missing from the Partial Premium's Upgraded Audio?

Thanks in advance and please provide as much detail as you can.
Stach

Partial premium interior have 8 speakers, no amps, no subwoofer.

Immersive sound for SR+ not sure if it's active yet...somebody owning the car can comment.

Greetings -

Internet browser

Respectfully disagree. When the original Model S came out many people made the same argument about the 60 vs the 85. Over time the 60 battery degraded much faster than the 85. It will be the same with the model 3.

Buy the biggest battery that they offer and you will be better off long term.

Thanks to all for the replies. My initial post may not have been clearly worded, causing some confusion. I posted from the perspective of someone looking at this forum and trying to decide which M3 model configuration to buy. With all the recent price changes and feature differences, I thought I'd share my reasons for suggesting the SR+, which wasn't available when I ordered my LR RWD last year.

Your purchase decision needs/thoughts would likely be different from mine, and I wanted to let readers know why I suggest the SR+ given today's choices of models/options. That's why I added "Here's Why" to my post. It wasn't an intent to be snarky, as at least one poster may have perceived. Sorry if my wording gave that impression.

I did indeed pay more than today's price for my car. Given the change in tax credits, and many other factors, I'm "OK" with my price. I got a great car, enjoy if fully, it meets my needs, and has been updated with new/improved features with several Version changes during my four months of ownership. Version updates have value to me, as will future updates - all of which are free, adding to the value of my ownership experience. If a new buyer gets a better price than I did - good for him/her. That's another car sale for Tesla, and may help them improve the company further.

I left out tax credits and transportation/fees as well. Transportation/fees seem universal regardless of model or options, so I didn't see a need to include them. Tax credits are a bit trickier. For many the tax credit is a deciding factor. For others they don't have enough taxable income to fully utilize the tax credit. Their buying decision is based on the value they perceive in the car itself, and while the tax credit is still useful, it may have less actual value for them, especially on the SR models.

My intent is to have a discussion among all TMC members, sharing different perspectives and experiences, so that those about to make a Model 3 purchase can be informed and make the best decision for themselves. Your posts are adding to the discussion, and hopefully together they'll help a new Tesla owner make an informed decision. Thanks again for your posts!