Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Beginnings of a trade war between Canada and the USA. Affects on Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So with the American people declaring Canada a security risk, imposing tariffs and basically labelling Canada an enemy of the USA will possible eventual tarrifs effect Tesla’s export numbers. Although I think Europe and Mexico were also declared security risks the end of an alliance that has flourished since the First World War will definetly affect buying habits of Canadians. It’s only been a day and already there are social media groups with lists of products that are built in the USA and alternatives that are either Canadian made or European or Mexican or China or Russia or anywhere in the world as long as it doesn’t come from the USA. If it grows into a full grown trade war how vulnerable is Tesla.

Unfortunately for us both vehicles we were considering for our leaf replacement in two years are US made. (Tesla and Leaf). Hopefully BMW will have something interesting by then.

Served along side Americans for most of our military career. Surprised as hell that the American people now look at us as security risks and enemies. The world is changing.

• Disagree
Reactions: jrad6515
So with the American people declaring Canada a security risk, imposing tariffs and basically labelling Canada an enemy of the USA will possible eventual tarrifs effect Tesla’s export numbers. Although I think Europe and Mexico were also declared security risks the end of an alliance that has flourished since the First World War will definetly affect buying habits of Canadians. It’s only been a day and already there are social media groups with lists of products that are built in the USA and alternatives that are either Canadian made or European or Mexican or China or Russia or anywhere in the world as long as it doesn’t come from the USA. If it grows into a full grown trade war how vulnerable is Tesla.

Unfortunately for us both vehicles we were considering for our leaf replacement in two years are US made. (Tesla and Leaf). Hopefully BMW will have something interesting by then.

Served along side Americans for most of our military career. Surprised as hell that the American people now look at us as security risks and enemies. The world is changing.
The American people do not think that at all.
We unfortunately have a child in power...he thinks ...well I'm not sure he actually thinks...but his ranting is not indicative of the majority of the American people.

First, thank you for service - I served with you guys in multiple countries, believe this is about trade inbalance, not sure where the security risk is coming - hell you guys have better immigrant laws and enforce them - you should be putting the wall up, not the US.

Qui Bono? Who benefits from the social media lists? I just buy the best products and dont give a damn what the politicians say or media tells me I should or shouldn't buy. Enjoy your South African made BMW. Also dont buy the X3, X4, X5, X6 and X7 SUV models, they are made in the USA and you might fall for the social media list that someone is sponsoring products for....good luck brother - didn't you learn anything about our experiences in theater? Do you remember watching the news when you came home and how incorrect the information was?

Qui Bono? Not you, not me, then who?

Reactions: X Fan
The American people do not think that at all.
We unfortunately have a child in power...he thinks ...well I'm not sure he actually thinks...but his ranting is not indicative of the majority of the American people.

I don’t know much about the president of the USA but will assume that he is part of a government that represents the American people’s votes. This is not a rant, tomorrow morning tarrifs against Canada will become effective because Canada was deemed a security risk to the USA. In 30 days on July 1st Canada’s retaliatory tarrifs come into affect. That is a tradewar. We all need to do our part. Like I said, i personally didn’t see this coming from the American people considering our past. We own property in the USA as do some of our neighbours. The talk right now is essentially how does one deal with the unexpected alliance change, It is what it is but for us completely a surprise.

Prior to last year, US trade was used as a bargaining chip for political goals and donations to the detriment of the taxpayers.

Now? It's time to negotiate trade as a business function, not a path to lining one's pockets in the name of politics.

Politicians often go in poor, and come out rich. That's not in the citizen's best interests and it's time to stop.

Prior to last year, US trade was used as a bargaining chip for political goals and donations to the detriment of the taxpayers.

Now? It's time to negotiate trade as a business function, not a path to lining one's pockets in the name of politics.

Politicians often go in poor, and come out rich. That's not in the citizen's best interests and it's time to stop.
Are you suggesting the current POTUS has the taxpayers in mind?

The security perspective is touted as such that if America can't keep an economically viable domestic supply of iron & aluminum, then it could become in trouble if foreign sources became unavailable. Perhaps more so, it's just Trump's attempt to fulfill one of his campaign promises to bring back steel mill jobs. I've not heard any discussion that Canadians were threatening to the U.S. This is just Trump's style. Many Americans voted for Trump to challenge the status quo. He has certainly shaken things up. Consider his daily waffling with the North Korea visit. It's not over til it's over. Think of Trump like a puffer fish! More appearance than substance. I'm about as far from Canada as a U.S. citizen can get - Texas! We still love y'all!

Are you suggesting the current POTUS has the taxpayers in mind?

Weird huh? A political office holder who knows what his job is.

But you can't blame it on Canadian Samantha Bee. She called his daughter a C,NT after the POTUS started to renegotiate backroom trade deals. So it wasn't paybacks.

Last edited:
The security perspective is touted as such that if America can't keep an economically viable domestic supply of iron & aluminum, then it could become in trouble if foreign sources became unavailable. Perhaps more so, it's just Trump's attempt to fulfill one of his campaign promises to bring back steel mill jobs. I've not heard any discussion that Canadians were threatening to the U.S. This is just Trump's style. Many Americans voted for Trump to challenge the status quo. He has certainly shaken things up. Consider his daily waffling with the North Korea visit. It's not over til it's over. Think of Trump like a puffer fish! More appearance than substance. I'm about as far from Canada as a U.S. citizen can get - Texas! We still love y'all!

Well, I appreciate the sentiment, but again, I don’t know much about trump. But this is the American government that has declared CANADA a security risk. Not one guy, unless the American government works different than what I think it does. The decision that Canada represents a risk to the security of the USA would almost certainly have to be a decision by the American government which is representative of the US population...unless there has been some kind of totalitarian regime change that hasn’t made it to the news in my country.

Anyway, it is the talk of the community here. Lots of re-evaluation going on in this community tonight. Tomorrow’s a new day.

Weird huh? A political office holder who knows what his job is.

But you can't blame it on Canadian Samantha Bee. She called his daughter a C,NT after the POTUS started to renegotiate backroom trade deals. So it wasn't paybacks.
I have the feeling your much better at this game than I am. I will close by saying deflection is an art played by those who are dishonest and crooked. The current POTUS is that in an almost perfect form.

Reactions: Point 3
Hunker down until the next U.S. president comes along. Trump is doing his best to dismantle and reassemble anything his predecessors have done so that he can put his name on the new laws. Maybe y'all can mix some steel and aluminum in with the tar sands oil being pipelined in?:D

First, thank you for service - I served with you guys in multiple countries, believe this is about trade inbalance, not sure where the security risk is coming - hell you guys have better immigrant laws and enforce them - you should be putting the wall up, not the US.

Qui Bono? Who benefits from the social media lists? I just buy the best products and dont give a damn what the politicians say or media tells me I should or shouldn't buy. Enjoy your South African made BMW. Also dont buy the X3, X4, X5, X6 and X7 SUV models, they are made in the USA and you might fall for the social media list that someone is sponsoring products for....good luck brother - didn't you learn anything about our experiences in theater? Do you remember watching the news when you came home and how incorrect the information was?

Qui Bono? Not you, not me, then who?

The security risk line is because the president only has security related power to impose tariffs without congressional approval.
So he has said "I'm imposing tariffs, and I'm allowed to because it's for security reasons".
This reasoning really breaks down when you apply to a country as obviously friendly to the US as Canada is.

Here in Australia we actually were given an exemption. We are very similar to Canada in many ways (military allies to US, big steel/aluminum producer, anglosphere members etc etc).
If I had to guess why we got exemption and Canada didn't I would guess it's a combination of:
1. Canada is a bit closer to the EU that we are (the French connection non?)
2. Trump wants to pressure Mexico, so Canada gets lumped in with NAFTA
3. Trump is random is chaotic

Reactions: Got-EMF
Propaganda Free:

China makes most the world's aluminum. They make 10 times as much as Canada. Aluminum is a global commodity.
US aluminum production started falling in 1980 then sharply since 2000 due to our own mismanagement of our industrial assets. We will lose the ability to create aluminum in 5-10 years unless something changes quick.

Aluminum requires cheap power. The US decided cheap power sucks without realizing it was critical for defense materials. Our bad.
China uses coal to make aluminum for the US.

Steel? Canada doesn't make much steel, about 1/6th what the US does. China again makes most the world's steel. They make 10 times as much as the US, who used the be the world leader. While we are not at risk of losing what little production we have left, we are giving China a massive advantage in manufacturing since steel is the cheapest metal to build with.

The US defense industries import their steel and aluminum from potentially hostile China. China is building it's military up, and acting in an imperialist fashion as of today. This was not true in 2000 when we imported mostly from allies.

That's the situation. Canada is caught in the crossfire of the US's lousy policies from decades ago that we are finally paying for.

Is the US President an idiot? No. His job is to make sure the US is still around in 20 years. To ignore our poorly managed foreign trade agreements like past administrations have is suicidal.

So with the American people declaring Canada a security risk, imposing tariffs and basically labelling Canada an enemy of the USA

The American people did not declare Canada a security risk and it's absurd to suggest otherwise.

I don’t know much about the president of the USA but will assume that he is part of a government that represents the American people’s votes.

The Americans voted in favour of Hillary Clinton -- by almost 2.9 million votes, with 65,844,954 (48.2%) to Trump's 62,979,879 (46.1%).

If you don't know much about the President of the US, where have you been? Do you not watch the news or take any interest in current affairs?

This is not a rant,

It sure sounds like one to me, and not a very informed one, but a rather mean one, directed towards our American friends.

Propaganda Free:

China makes most the world's aluminum. They make 10 times as much as Canada. Aluminum is a global commodity.
US aluminum production started falling in 1980 then sharply since 2000 due to our own mismanagement of our industrial assets. We will lose the ability to create aluminum in 5-10 years unless something changes quick.

Aluminum requires cheap power. The US decided cheap power sucks without realizing it was critical for defense materials. Our bad.
China uses coal to make aluminum for the US.

Steel? Canada doesn't make much steel, about 1/6th what the US does. China again makes most the world's steel. They make 10 times as much as the US, who used the be the world leader. While we are not at risk of losing what little production we have left, we are giving China a massive advantage in manufacturing since steel is the cheapest metal to build with.

The US defense industries import their steel and aluminum from potentially hostile China. China is building it's military up, and acting in an imperialist fashion as of today. This was not true in 2000 when we imported mostly from allies.

That's the situation. Canada is caught in the crossfire of the US's lousy policies from decades ago that we are finally paying for.

Is the US President an idiot? No. His job is to make sure the US is still around in 20 years. To ignore our poorly managed foreign trade agreements like past administrations have is suicidal.
It's not crossfire. Canada is only near China on the alphabet. You don't accidently tariff someone because you were tariffing someone else.

It's not crossfire. Canada is only near China on the alphabet. You don't accidently tariff someone because you were tariffing someone else.

We have a global economy. Countries bypass tariffs all the time by changing 'point-of-origin' legally or illegally. The goal is to reestablish these industries.

And there's that whole Terrance & Phillip thing to answer for...