Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Berlin made cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's been done to death already but Shanghai has all of the RHD markets around it. Berlin has all of the LHD markets around it, and is LHD itself. The UK and islands are an outlier either way. Demand exceeds supply in all cases.

So long as Shanghai has boats coming over to the UK for any reason at all - i.e. any model - then it makes sense for them to continue making RHD cars. The 10% import duty doesn't offset that. I'm not entirely sure why people are so fixated on the idea (dream?) of Berlin making RHD cars for us.
Except China is not shipping RHD MY performance to the UK. Allegedly they will come from Berlin.... eventually

As per the shipping thread, I don’t even get how Tesla can continue to ship vehicles to Europe from halfway across the world, and still call them green and sustainable.
Each non-MIG Tesla arriving in Europe has burned the equivalent of 500 gallons of heavy fuel through their shipping journey. That’s about 2 years worth of usage needed to break-even vs an ICE made in Europe (which was the case of every previous car I bought)…
Import taxes should be drastically higher on imported cars to encourage Tesla and other makers to build locally.
Not even sure that I have made an environmentally conscious choice anymore
Assuming a 140000 liters per day consumption of the ship, 21 days at sea and 4500 cars on board, you would be looking at around approx. 650 liters per car for the trip (Not including the traveling back empty that a lot of ships are doing) - so around 3500 miles worth of fuel for an ICE car.

Not ideal, but it certainly is not the largest consideration in the footprint of the car.

Except China is not shipping RHD MY performance to the UK. Allegedly they will come from Berlin.... eventually
People getting VINs on this thread would suggest otherwise.

Also as said above if they're not coming from Shanghai where would they be coming from? There's been no news of any RHD work being done by Berlin except some people seeing RHD build capability or something like that on a visit however many moons ago.

So if China is not shipping RHD MY and Berlin aren't making them yet, then where are the Model Y Performance currently coming from?
They aren't. that is the point. If people with MY P orders are now starting to get VINs as @Durzel has been suggested above then I guess we are about to find out. I think the plan was Berlin but may now have changed to Shanghai since that is where the spare capacity is.
if Shanghai was the plan all along then why have they waited this long to ship the cars with the highest profit margin?

Edit: ah yes I see that is right and the VINS are Shanghai cars

Last edited:
It's been done to death already but Shanghai has all of the RHD markets around it. Berlin has all of the LHD markets around it, and is LHD itself. The UK and islands are an outlier either way. Demand exceeds supply in all cases.

So long as Shanghai has boats coming over to the UK for any reason at all - i.e. any model - then it makes sense for them to continue making RHD cars. The 10% import duty doesn't offset that. I'm not entirely sure why people are so fixated on the idea (dream?) of Berlin making RHD cars for us.
I get the argument about the economics of RHD production and I guess it will come down to whether the cost of Berlin gearing up for RHD would more than offset the higher cost in transporting them from Shanghai.

I’m not exactly “fixated” on Berlin making RHD cars for the U.K. but it’s a very strong preference and that strategy seemed to fit with the whole green/emissions/carbon footprint obsession and we do have to keep Greta happy, don’t we?

If I don’t get my Berlin car then, as someone else alluded, I can consider my options but it would be disappointing.

Last edited by a moderator:
The YouTube videos are often predicated on randomly trying to find new paint codes on the Tesla website then turning it into hard news they’ve broken to the world that they’re imminent

When you play with the European configurator as mentioned above, the MY RWD looks to be China built and the new colours Berlin built. I wouldn’t be surprised if the classic colours are also China built. Either way, U.K. and Ireland are still on the old China colour palette
Agreed and I’m always cautious of YouTube content as people love to speculate and try to join up dots, although Ryan Shaw seems more reliable than most.

I’m now aware of the new paint technology that Berlin has which explains the different colour options, probably at a higher cost.

Colour is a preference rather than a priority for me however. I ordered my Y in Midnight Silver which looks good, although just a little bit ‘flat’ compared with other metallic greys.

Nope - political posts have been moved to the political thread on the website. The website has rules for the benefits for all members, not for a few to get on a soapbox.
Thank you, I appreciate the clarification.
I would ask you to please consider making an entry to that effect so as to avoid misunderstandings like today. Apologies if you did and I missed it.

Reactions: GeorgeSymonds
I’m now aware of the new paint technology that Berlin has which explains the different colour options, probably at a higher cost.
There's no probably about it unfortunately, the new colours are €3k for silver and €3.2k for red rather than previously being €1.6k and €2k.

Personally I would have expected the world's most advanced paint shop to be able to produce these multi-layer colours in an automated and cost effective manor. But it seems either they are way behind other manufacturers or are just making the most of the opportunity knowing some people will pay way over the odds.

There's no probably about it unfortunately, the new colours are €3k for silver and €3.2k for red rather than previously being €1.6k and €2k.

Personally I would have expected the world's most advanced paint shop to be able to produce these multi-layer colours in an automated and cost effective manor. But it seems either they are way behind other manufacturers or are just making the most of the opportunity knowing some people will pay way over the odds.
Tesla can rustle up demand at the drop of a hat. They could have charged an extra €5k for the new paints and people would still be lining up to hand their money over.

Tesla can rustle up demand at the drop of a hat. They could have charged an extra €5k for the new paints and people would still be lining up to hand their money over.
novelty seekers maybe. This is the "I wanna be first" premium. orders would quickly wain at 5K and probably will at 3K.
You see a heck of a lot more white Teslas than you do red ones so clearly not everyone is happy to hand over extra for paint. If you have a 3 year lease you will be paying the full cost of that over the course of your three-four years and that is not a small amount extra each month.

novelty seekers maybe. This is the "I wanna be first" premium. orders would quickly wain at 5K and probably will at 3K.
You see a heck of a lot more white Teslas than you do red ones so clearly not everyone is happy to hand over extra for paint. If you have a 3 year lease you will be paying the full cost of that over the course of your three-four years and that is not a small amount extra each month.
Paint goes in fashion cycles...too many white cars and the appeal of color gets strong...and people assume it will increase the resale (or at least speeds up the sale)...but the premium charged by Berlin is extremely high

Also, a good chunk of Tesla enthusiasts seem to be wrapping their cars, so go for the free white paint. The £2-5k saved can then be used to apply whatever colour they fancy instead of being restricted by the 5 choice default colour palette.

Also, a good chunk of Tesla enthusiasts seem to be wrapping their cars, so go for the free white paint. The £2-5k saved can then be used to apply whatever colour they fancy instead of being restricted by the 5 choice default colour palette.

I have no experience of wraps or protection films but if they are as good as people say it makes me wonder why manufacturers don't just optimise one base protection undercoat and have all customer cars wrapped in whatever colour they want ...