Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best Bang for Buck Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ag
This thread has been a good reminder of what a gap Tesla created in their lineup when they eliminated the LR RWD model. So many of us in warm weather climates wanted the bigger battery and upgraded interior but had no need for AWD. If I had to buy today I would not be thrilled with either SR+ or AWD as neither really match my needs. For the extra $2K I would just get a stealth for the entertainment value of it, assuming I could get one. But the LR RWD is really the perfect car for me.
Agreed. The + and the awd didn’t really appeal to me. I wanted the premium interior features (full speaker system, full rear heating, max range, and best insurance rate. Didn’t really need awd since I’m in SoCal.

FWIW I certainly don't "need" AWD in NC... but I wanted the better performance without paying ANOTHER $11,000-$16,000 more (on top of the 4-6k upgrade RWD->AWD).... so at the time I purchased the AWD was the best bang/buck on performance... (and still is if we stick with the pricing as it existed at purchase with the 2k upgrade thrown in... obviously if buying TODAY the P3D- is a better choice if you can find one in the color/wheels you want)

I would not want the hassles associated with 20” tires. The stealth gives you all of the speed benefits of Performance without all of the other stuff which is nice on the track but not necessary at all for daily driving. Stealth is by far the best value out there. LR AWD with the $2K acceleration boost cost the same as the stealth for less performance. That just makes no sense.

I must be spoiled where I live because I don’t seem to have these hassles with the 20” performance tires and wheels that everyone complains about. You would think the 20” wheels are made out of play-doh or something.

Yeap, I think the LR RWD is really a sensible choice for most people
Yep, I agree. Since now people look into sr+ and for those where range is not long enough, either quiet or have to get LR AWD, then they join these forums, hear of Stealth option and especially now say, +$2k over a lifetime of the car is sensible and end up with LR Performance stealth. All good for Tesla, but wonder how many people do not end up getting tesla because there is no "middle ground' in either Long Range or Mid Range Model 3

This thread has been a good reminder of what a gap Tesla created in their lineup when they eliminated the LR RWD model. So many of us in warm weather climates wanted the bigger battery and upgraded interior but had no need for AWD. If I had to buy today I would not be thrilled with either SR+ or AWD as neither really match my needs. For the extra $2K I would just get a stealth for the entertainment value of it, assuming I could get one. But the LR RWD is really the perfect car for me.

why do you need rwd in warmer climates?

Another thing to consider, "Boosted AWD+" vs "P3D-/P3D+" is the fact newer P3D- VIN classifies it as Performance, and the Insurance May be higher, depending. With the AWD+, it's still an AWD, insurance wise. And before someone jumps in and says otherwise, or that insurance wouldn't cover my Boost Option if not reported after a total loss, I already asked my Allstate Agent. Posted that response in the other insurance thread.

Effect of Acceleration Boost on insurance rates

AWD is unnecessary in warmer climates that never get any snow or ice on the roads. RWD will suffice just fine. With RWD the car weighs about 400 lbs less, gets better range and should cost less. Tesla obviously wants folks to pony up a the LR AWD to get the additional range and premium interior.

I would strongly disagree. Florida streets are super slippery in the rain and after a storm. Yes good tires makes a difference, but our old Charger needed to be babied in the rain or you were spinning tires. Is AWD needed? No. Does it give you an extra level of confidence and safety? Absolutely.

I would strongly disagree. Florida streets are super slippery in the rain and after a storm. Yes good tires makes a difference, but our old Charger needed to be babied in the rain or you were spinning tires. Is AWD needed? No. Does it give you an extra level of confidence and safety? Absolutely.

The danger in low traction situation is almost almost pretty much never in the acceleration phase. Unless you tend to glue the fast pedal to the floor in the middle of a turn. Particularly in an EV car where the traction control is more fine and direct.

Is it better to have AWD in those conditions, in absolutely terms? Yes, slightly. Is that better tradeoff against a 400 pound weight reduction (which improves braking, dynamic behavior, tire wear)? Not at all, IMO.

The danger in low traction situation is almost almost pretty much never in the acceleration phase. Unless you tend to glue the fast pedal to the floor in the middle of a turn. Particularly in an EV car where the traction control is more fine and direct.

Is it better to have AWD in those conditions, in absolutely terms? Yes, slightly. Is that better tradeoff against a 400 pound weight reduction (which improves braking, dynamic behavior, tire wear)? Not at all, IMO.

The danger is almost always in initial acceleration. I watch cars all the time spin at the stop light with very little gas. This is normal driving and acceleration. A quick slide into the other lane and yourself a small accident..... which in the rain causes more secondary accidents typically. AWD prevents this in almost every circumstance. It is the primary reason my truck is 4WD as well. Weight makes zero difference in these situations.

The danger is almost always in initial acceleration. I watch cars all the time spin at the stop light with very little gas. This is normal driving and acceleration. A quick slide into the other lane and yourself a small accident..... which in the rain causes more secondary accidents typically. AWD prevents this in almost every circumstance. It is the primary reason my truck is 4WD as well. Weight makes zero difference in these situations.
Yes you can spin your wheels taking off at a light. But your car won't magically snap to the neighboring lane unless the driver is deliberately reckless.

Yes greasy roads brought on by precipitation can be dangerous. Mostly trying to stop, or in the bends. I lived in the gulf coast and it rained heavily and intensely.

Sorry, the idea that people are getting into accidents because their cars are jumping out of place, starting from a stop, is just frankly preposterous.

AWD is unnecessary in warmer climates that never get any snow or ice on the roads. RWD will suffice just fine. With RWD the car weighs about 400 lbs less, gets better range and should cost less. Tesla obviously wants folks to pony up a the LR AWD to get the additional range and premium interior.

awd doesnt really add anything in winter, you need winter tires.

in warmer climate awd helps because i. e. you are prone to lose traction due to contact area due to either heavy rain or diesel on the road.

Yes you can spin your wheels taking off at a light. But your car won't magically snap to the neighboring lane unless the driver is deliberately reckless.

Yes greasy roads brought on by precipitation can be dangerous. Mostly trying to stop, or in the bends. I lived in the gulf coast and it rained heavily and intensely.

Sorry, the idea that people are getting into accidents because their cars are jumping out of place, starting from a stop, is just frankly preposterous.

The number of car wrecks doesn't increase in rain due to lack of vision. It's due to lack of traction. That is indisputable, as is that AWD provides significantly better traction. There are only two reasons to choose RWD over AWD, and in almost all instances it is cost. For the Tesla, a slight boost in range might be a reason, but probably for 99% of people it is because of cost.

But for the record - a FWD drive car slipping will definitely pull into the other lane. As will your ass in RWD if you give it too much.

How Do Weather Events Impact Roads? - FHWA Road Weather Management

Wet Pavement is 70% of all weather related crashes and 15% of all crashes total.

Last edited:
The number of car wrecks doesn't increase in rain due to lack of vision. It's due to lack of traction. That is indisputable, as is that AWD provides significantly better traction. There are only two reasons to choose RWD over AWD, and in almost all instances it is cost. For the Tesla, a slight boost in range might be a reason, but probably for 99% of people it is because of cost.

But for the record - a FWD drive car slipping will definitely pull into the other lane. As will your ass in RWD if you give it too much.

How Do Weather Events Impact Roads? - FHWA Road Weather Management

Wet Pavement is 70% of all weather related crashes and 15% of all crashes total.
A few things here to unpack.

AWD provides more accelerative traction than 2WD. Yes, undisputable.

AWD is almost always more desirable than RWD outside of cost. Uh, no. Less weight is desirable. Less drivetrain complexity is desirable. RWD has always been the classic formula, cost be damned.

FWD driving pulls you in the other lane? No. It spins, it goes nowhere, then ahead gradually. That's physics. Torque steer causes a lateral drift, but in either case, it takes a willful and reckless attempt to actually and irrevocably lose control.

It's simply not a realistic scenario that people (who aren't drag racing) are crashing because they have no traction going from a light.

Wet weather is dangerous, for a variety of reasons. That's indisputable. Many crashes occur in the wet, Indisputable. (BTW, ALL cities in the US, there are significantly significant more rainy days than snow/sleet).

But crashes because people lack forward-traction? No, and your link says nothing otherwise. I almost feel trolled entertaining this argument, so I'm gonna stop there.

From an acceleration perspective I would factor in the how much improved the traction control systems are in these EVs. Even powerful ICE based vehicles with mechanical traction control systems prevent wheel spin now. There is no doubt you get a traction improvement with AWD but the question of whether it is necessary and worth the cost is debatable.

P3D Stealth owner here. I bought the stealth when the P3D was first available. I chose it because I didn't think the wheels/spoiler were worth the added cost and it was unclear that there were any differences in the brakes. I've since upgraded to MPP rotors and pads, 19" forged wheels/PS4 tires and bought aftermarket aluminum pedals. I've spent about as much as the 5k additional cost the P3D+ to get my upgrades but my parts are better and significantly lighter weight. So I still think Stealth is the best value. I would do it again if I had the same choice.

So I was pretty set in ordering a Model 3 Performance but now with the latest acceleration upgrade, there isn't much performance difference

- Model 3 LR - $48,990 + $2,000 acceleration = $51,990 for 322 mile range and now 3.9 0-60
- Model 3 Performance - $56,990 for 310 mile range and 3.2 0-60

So what is going to be the best bang for the buck? Ordering the LR to save $5K and get an extra 12 mile range with the assumption that sooner or later, Tesla will probably unlock the full potential of the LR to match the Performance?

Or, do we see a Performance power upgrade coming soon as well?

I’d say depends on your love for beating BMW M cars vs 550i cars. If it pains you to think of losing the random stop light race to a GTR and your 1040 justifies, spend the $.

If your idea of fast is something like a Camaro or 997 Porsche then you’ll be fine saving Your money.

I’d say depends on your love for beating BMW M cars vs 550i cars. If it pains you to think of losing the random stop light race to a GTR and your 1040 justifies, spend the $.

If your idea of fast is something like a Camaro or 997 Porsche then you’ll be fine saving Your money.
Also note that the actual 0-60 is a bit faster than Tesla reports. Some folks have measured 2.9s and may be better in the future after more updates and/or with aftermarket upgrades.

P3D Stealth owner here. I bought the stealth when the P3D was first available. I chose it because I didn't think the wheels/spoiler were worth the added cost and it was unclear that there were any differences in the brakes. I've since upgraded to MPP rotors and pads, 19" forged wheels/PS4 tires and bought aftermarket aluminum pedals. I've spent about as much as the 5k additional cost the P3D+ to get my upgrades but my parts are better and significantly lighter weight. So I still think Stealth is the best value. I would do it again if I had the same choice.

I did the same as you but with my AWD+. MPP rear rotors, lightweight TSW forged 18" wheels, lightweight MPP 12v lithium battery. It all add's up.

Also note that the actual 0-60 is a bit faster than Tesla reports. Some folks have measured 2.9s and may be better in the future after more updates and/or with aftermarket upgrades.

FWIW quickest I'm aware of is one guy on Dragy in AU that managed a 1-foot-rollout 2.98... ... next after him looks like a 3.02, and the next 3 guys are all 3.04.

So 3.0 seems a lot more fair description of the current state of the P than 2.9... still quicker than Tesla lists though.

Reactions: MagnusMako