Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best mattresses for Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow that is clever, well engineered. Fills the space behind the front seats. Covers the bump behind the back seats. Easy to remove when not on a road trip. Protects the pillows and blankets from dirt. Takes us from Tesla Camping to Tesla Glamping.

I do wonder what people think about covering the windows. Bjørn used reflectix on the windshield and acoustic foam on the roof and side windows. I was thinking it might make more sense to build a cover to insulate the car from the outside weather and keep the sun from waking you up too early.

I found this: Touchless Car Cover

I was thinking that one of the advantages I am looking forward to in Tesla camping is the glass roof so I can watch the stars, but Elon mentioned that he can stare at the solar eclipse directly thru sun glasses with how tinted the roof glass is, so potentially inside a "Tentsla" you cannot even see the stars thru the roof. So just put the touchless car cover over your MS before hitting the sack and you will loose less heat during the night, hear less rain beating on the car, and afford a lot of privacy in your cocoon. Heck, you'll actually fit in with all the other tent campers.

Still waiting for my Tesla to try all this out.

-Randy

This crash pad may work perfectly to fit the 3" drop and create a level base. Size open is 32 x 42 x 4 and folded is 32 x 21 x 8 inches. In folded stage it will fit nicely in the trunk, leaving access to the under-the-floor compartment. The 1" extra is useful as there is some compression from the foam, versus non on the 2nd row seat backs. Cost: $135 at REI.

View attachment 29514

Thanks for the suggestion. I ended up buying this same one, the Evolv Iceman. Fits perfectly lengthwise and perfectly gets rid of the drop. There is a bit of a gap on each side, but not a big deal for me.

IMG_0121.jpg
IMG_0118.jpg
IMG_0120.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, if I haven't mentioned the camping tricks yet..

Roll front seats fully forward and set them to a fairly upright position and put a couple rubbermaid bins with lids in the rear seating area... this supports the top of the mattress where your head goes. There are bins with height that comes up to be nearly the same level as folded down seat backs. We used the bins to pack stuff in, and fit in the rear luggage area easily for travel.

I'm 6'4" and have no problem stretched out in this space on such a setup.

I'm surprised by this. I am "only" 6'3" and the times I have slept in my Model S (4 or 5 now) I have had my front seats pushed ll the way forward and I still have to sleep diagonally and one of my feet still touches the back of the car sometimes, which keeps me up.

My GF bought a "bean bag" chair/bed for her son when I lived in a condo and she would come to visit.

CordaRoy's Convertible Beanbags

The outer shell is corduroy material, but it unzips to allow you to remove and unroll an interior, rectangular mattress.

The mattress is filled with the "beans", which are actually small chopped pieces of memory foam.

It is possible to buy extra foam stuffing, which my gf did when she bought it, so hers is overstuffed. it's quite comfortable.

I took a meandering drive from Toronto to New Hampshire one weekend and stuffed the mattress into the back of my Model S. Because it is overstuffed, it didn't quite fit in my trunk with the trunk lid on. I could jam it in, but it bulged up the trunk lid.

When it came time to sleep, I laid the trunk lid down under the mattress, folded the back seats down (obviously), and pushed the front seats as far as they would go. The mattress is so overstuffed that there is lots of material in it to shove down the gap between the front and back seats. In fact, it is so overstuffed that it really is too big for the back, meaning when you get on top of it, you are quite high up--not touching the roof, but closer than I desired.

But god damn it was comfortable.

And having the back so crammed full made it feel like a nest.

Having a mattress like this without the extra stuffing in it (or maybe with even less than the standard amount) might be a good solution because:

1. it easily reshapes to conform to different areas

2. you can redistribute some of the interior foam bits to the lower half to compensate for the drop between the trunk and rear seats

3. in a pinch, you could to the same at the head end to create a faux pillow area

4. it's comfy as hell

5. if you had some kind of compression bag, you might be able to cram it into a small space for travel (I don't have that though)

• Informative
Reactions: OBX John
In addition to my last post, my gf bought me a memory foam mattress for car camping.

Has anyone here tried keeping a memory foam mattress in their car during freezing temps? Are they damaged by freezing?
No, they are not damaged by freezing but, trust me, your back is! Our most memorable camper trip was our very first: left Paxson at -36ºF, spent our first night with the night's high at -39º. Camper was not pre-heated and so, upon throwing ourselves on the mattress we instantly and irreversibly realized that it needed to be changed for a far cushier slab of granite.
But once warmed up, it was fine ever after. 'Tho not that night: we also hadn't thought of pre-placing the propane tank inside the cab, so gas wasn't flowing at those temps, so the camper never warmed up.....thank goodness for Wiggy's "Antarctic" sleeping bags!

So how is it? Do you like it? Pros/Cons?
Dreamcase looks like it is best, but my solution is a very close second. Buy some super light weight MMA mats and cut them to create a level surface in the trunk..... then buy a swiss megamat lw.... it inflates on it's own and is more comfortable than anything I've seen. IT's a miracle of modern science.... AND it fits on the left side of the trunk with the right seat still up.... effectively giving you a three seater at all times.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: Flaker and TaoJones
Yes I agree the dreamcase seems to be the best bet. But I don’t like the price so I’m trying the crash pad from amazon: Black Diamond Impact Carsh Pad, 100 x 114 x 10cm, Sulfur https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I01PVTQ/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_TAB3Bb12S3PZK

And the foam mattress from Ikea: MINNESUND Foam mattress, firm, white - firm/white - IKEA due to their one year warranty on all there products. That way I can save a total of $500 just by using my option. When I make more money I will think about the dreamcase.

Dreamcase – Dreamcase

For us, I think that the el-cheapo queen inflatable mattress that Walmart carries is the best bet. The larger more luxurious ones are too tall for the hatch but the thin one they have there is ideal and it costs like $15 or so. The added bonus was that we flew to Seattle to pick up our Model S and hit a nearby Walmart for the mattress, sheets, pillows, blanket and compressor. All-in I think we were at less than $50 and slept in the back several times over the next week & 2,500 miles back to Colorado. I have no doubts that the Dreamcase fits the best and looks the best but it should given the price tag. Ours does the job just fine to include two overnight sleeps of ~8hrs where we both slept like babies. Ours also costs a fraction of the other options and stores easily in the area underneath the rear cargo area should we ever need it in an emergency. Everyone's needs are different however so what works best for us may not work best for others. Just throwing my two cents in in case others are curious of various options and what works best for their specific needs.

So how is it? Do you like it? Pros/Cons?

I love it. See my profile picture for the bed fully deployed inside my Model S 75D. This is hands down the smartest money I have spent on an aftermarket item for a car. I've slept in it more times than I can count (solo and with my girl), and I've had the car less than a year. I am 6'3" and I have room to spare... and when you pair this bed with the Dashboard for Tesla mobile app which has camper mode, you have a climate controlled hotel on wheels. High quality, sets up in less than 10 minutes, and equally easy to fold up and put away, or to strip down, wash the sheets/quilt and pack it up to be ready for your next trip. You can also leave it 75% deployed, just folding up the front 1/4 section while you drive, so you can pop it out in seconds if you want a quick nap while charging on a road trip. The memory foam mattress is as comfortable as the (very nice) Sealy in my master bedroom. Seriously... a genius product, and just so cool. Need I even add... that the panoramic roof takes on a whole new meaning when you sleep in this thing.

I configured it to match my car (black & grey to match my midnight silver w/ black interior). I love that they branded it to look like Tesla, including the "DR≡AM" lettering on the case... and they have a configurator online, just like when you ordered your car.

If you buy this, definitely spend the extra ~80 bucks for the custom sheets. So worth it! When I'm at a charging station, a campsite, a music festival, etc and I pop the hatchback... people flip out when they see this, just like they do if it's the first time they've seen a Tesla. I've literally seen jaws drop and people speechless, just staring into my car. They actually think it's "something else" that a Tesla can do!! lol. More than once I've had to explain that it does not come with the car.

The case does not have a carrying handle, and I can honestly say that is the only con, although I would hardly consider it that. I emailed them, and below is their response. They make a fine point, and after putting this product through its paces, I can tell you that it's not really a big deal because you are never going to carry it more than a couple feet:

Info <[email protected]>
Tue, Jun 12, 9:00 AM
to me
Hi Jeremy,
We were pumped to hear you camped in comfort ! The lack of handle is valid point, we omitted it because it was hard to find something pretty and fuss-less that kept the clean design lines. With the Model X and 3 soft shell versions we had more options to sew in a handle and did - yes handling is better :) We’re looking into a Model X handle, likely it will be fused in between case and fabric.

The company is great too (I do not work for them, lol)... they were friendly, responsive and a pleasure to deal with via email. No-brainer, I would recommend this to anybody!! Now, if they only had a referral program ;)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: MikkoJ and jrad6515
Ok I read through this entire thread and have a few questions for you guys out there;

I have a 2018 MS and I’m looking for a good sleeping solution for short naps and possible occasional “camping”. For reference I’m 6’3” 185lbs

First off I’m certainly not a fan of going the air mattress route. So, I’m shopping foam pads. I’ve narrowed it down to the following:

Better Habitat [New] SleepReady Memory Foam Floor Mattress (75 x 36 x 3). [Roll Out, Portable Sleeping pad w/Waterproof Cotton Terry Cover & Travel Bag] https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072BJF9FW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_5vC6CbMMJCDSA

Or

MINNESUND Foam mattress - firm, white - IKEA

Would love to hear from anyone that has either of these as ease of set up, amount of space used when not in use and ease of rolling back up?

My main question is what have people been doing to fill the gap behind the front seats in order to create a level surface for the mat? This is something I can’t figure out. Being 6’3” I would ideally like to maximize that space so I can stretch out.

Would love any feedback! Thanks in advance.

I was just at Costco and they have an awesome sleeping pad in the seasonal camping gear, but I cannot find it on their site. It's 48" x 75" and comes in a plastic carrying case with handles. When unfolded it totally fills my Model 3. Folded it fits with the seats up leaving room for groceries and pillows and blankets and my suitcase below the floor. Cannot even tell I was sleeping in the car.

I haven't tried it yet, but for thirty-something dollars I am keeping it.

• Informative
Reactions: hydro
I love it. See my profile picture for the bed fully deployed inside my Model S 75D. This is hands down the smartest money I have spent on an aftermarket item for a car. I've slept in it more times than I can count (solo and with my girl), and I've had the car less than a year. I am 6'3" and I have room to spare... and when you pair this bed with the Dashboard for Tesla mobile app which has camper mode, you have a climate controlled hotel on wheels. High quality, sets up in less than 10 minutes, and equally easy to fold up and put away, or to strip down, wash the sheets/quilt and pack it up to be ready for your next trip. You can also leave it 75% deployed, just folding up the front 1/4 section while you drive, so you can pop it out in seconds if you want a quick nap while charging on a road trip. The memory foam mattress is as comfortable as the (very nice) Sealy in my master bedroom. Seriously... a genius product, and just so cool. Need I even add... that the panoramic roof takes on a whole new meaning when you sleep in this thing.

I configured it to match my car (black & grey to match my midnight silver w/ black interior). I love that they branded it to look like Tesla, including the "DR≡AM" lettering on the case... and they have a configurator online, just like when you ordered your car.

If you buy this, definitely spend the extra ~80 bucks for the custom sheets. So worth it! When I'm at a charging station, a campsite, a music festival, etc and I pop the hatchback... people flip out when they see this, just like they do if it's the first time they've seen a Tesla. I've literally seen jaws drop and people speechless, just staring into my car. They actually think it's "something else" that a Tesla can do!! lol. More than once I've had to explain that it does not come with the car.

The case does not have a carrying handle, and I can honestly say that is the only con, although I would hardly consider it that. I emailed them, and below is their response. They make a fine point, and after putting this product through its paces, I can tell you that it's not really a big deal because you are never going to carry it more than a couple feet:

Info <[email protected]>
Tue, Jun 12, 9:00 AM
to me
Hi Jeremy,
We were pumped to hear you camped in comfort ! The lack of handle is valid point, we omitted it because it was hard to find something pretty and fuss-less that kept the clean design lines. With the Model X and 3 soft shell versions we had more options to sew in a handle and did - yes handling is better :) We’re looking into a Model X handle, likely it will be fused in between case and fabric.

The company is great too (I do not work for them, lol)... they were friendly, responsive and a pleasure to deal with via email. No-brainer, I would recommend this to anybody!! Now, if they only had a referral program ;)

What does the Dreamcase system use to “fill” the area behind the front seats in order for the mattress to lie flat?

What does the Dreamcase system use to “fill” the area behind the front seats in order for the mattress to lie flat?

It has a built-in "kickstand" so to speak, basically a flat piece that folds out, so the top of the bed rests precisely on the arm rest. The kickstand is the full width, and supports the bed while still allowing room for shoes, etc on the floor behind the front seats.

Ok I read through this entire thread and have a few questions for you guys out there;

I have a 2018 MS and I’m looking for a good sleeping solution for short naps and possible occasional “camping”. For reference I’m 6’3” 185lbs

First off I’m certainly not a fan of going the air mattress route. So, I’m shopping foam pads. I’ve narrowed it down to the following:

Better Habitat [New] SleepReady Memory Foam Floor Mattress (75 x 36 x 3). [Roll Out, Portable Sleeping pad w/Waterproof Cotton Terry Cover & Travel Bag] https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072BJF9FW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_5vC6CbMMJCDSA

Or

MINNESUND Foam mattress - firm, white - IKEA

Would love to hear from anyone that has either of these as ease of set up, amount of space used when not in use and ease of rolling back up?

My main question is what have people been doing to fill the gap behind the front seats in order to create a level surface for the mat? This is something I can’t figure out. Being 6’3” I would ideally like to maximize that space so I can stretch out.

Would love any feedback! Thanks in advance.

We're the same height and weight. In my opinion, the Dreamcase is kind of like Autopilot... nobody does it better. This is especially true if you drive a Model S.

So if you do find a better solution, please let me know what it is!

Reactions: RHS324
Personally I prefer just a basic, cheap air mattress from Walmart. When not in use it takes up MUCH less space than the Dreamcase and costs substantially less as well. The massive size of the Dreamcase when not in use plus the price tag is a deal breaker for me. Great option for those who don't put those two negatives as high on their personal list.