Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best practice for installing home charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I take delivery of my model 3 next month. Is there a place here that shows best practice of charging station at home. I am going to replace my electric panel in the garage but should I go to 50 AMPs or higher? Wall charge or long cable? I want to enable quick charging. Thanks in advance.

I take delivery of my model 3 next month. Is there a place here that shows best practice of charging station at home. I am going to replace my electric panel in the garage but should I go to 50 AMPs or higher? Wall charge or long cable? I want to enable quick charging. Thanks in advance.

I added a 220v 50A outlet and it gets the job done. I keep my Tesla adapter connected to the outlet and then just plug in when I come back home.

Reactions: KieranTS925
Can you detail out more how you plan on charging the car and which version of the 3 you've got? If you're planning on using the Tesla Wall Charger, going up to 60A would allow you to charge at 48A with the M3LR and M3Ps. But if you've got the standard RWD, then a 50A is adequate since it can only charge at 32A. Keep in mind charging is best limited to 80% of the max Amps. So 50A --> 40A sustained, 60A --> 48A sustained.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
Can you detail out more how you plan on charging the car and which version of the 3 you've got? If you're planning on using the Tesla Wall Charger, going up to 60A would allow you to charge at 48A with the M3LR and M3Ps. But if you've got the standard RWD, then a 50A is adequate since it can only charge at 32A. Keep in mind charging is best limited to 80% of the max Amps. So 50A --> 40A sustained, 60A --> 48A sustained.
I ordered the dual motor LR version (M3LR). As far as the rest I am looking for best practice for quick charging. If a Tesla Wall Charger has benefits for this I am very interested.

I ordered the dual motor LR version (M3LR). As far as the rest I am looking for best practice for quick charging. If a Tesla Wall Charger has benefits for this I am very interested.
Wouldn't say there's a "best". It's all in what you want to do. Seems like lots of people on this forum use the included portable charger plugged into a NEMA 14-50 (aka big ass dryer/washer type of charger) or others go with the Tesla one. Some things to consider:
- Using the included charger would be slower than a Wall Charger, but do you really need the extra speed? I think it's like 30mi/hr vs 44mi/hr
- Do you plan on keeping a spare charger in your car? If so, then that's an extra $275 for the additional portable charger
- Tesla wall charger is $500, but per the question above, incremental cost is $225 for a dedicated charger that would be faster

I've got the Wall Charger, but mostly because my parking/charger is not in an enclosed garage, so would be exposed to the elements a bit more. The extra charging speed is just a nice little bonus.

The "best" way is to install a 60A 2-conductor circuit and a wall charger. It's just that simple.

The "hard" way is to dick around with outlets and parts and pieces and try to find something that doesn't melt and get the right size box and the right cover to fit some special order outlet and deal with obtaining an out-of-stock GFCI breaker and then figure out how to mount all this junk on the wall with various brackets and hooks and stuff only to lose your mobile charger, lose the option to charge somewhat quickly (can be useful with multiple cars, visitors, poor planning, etc.), and save $200.

I am in the similar situation. I have ordered a MYLR and M3RWD. Initially, I considered to install one Tesla Wall Connector and charge both cars at separate time/day. However, I might think about the future proof that I might want to have 2 wall connectors. I am trying to get quotes from multiple installers on

1) 2 60a setup and 2 wall connectors
2) 1 60a, 1 50a, 1 wall connector and 1 NEMA.

I am personally leaning to 2 60a and 2 wall connectors. But most likely I will need to upgrade our service to 200amp as currently the max is125amp.

You say you want to have quick charging, and I'm curious as to why. You've got ALL NIGHT to charge your car, something that normally takes a couple or three hours when using a 220-volt outlet. So what's your hurry? You gotta get up three times every night for a run to the 7-eleven? If you plug in when you get back, the car will charge.

Oh, I get it. You're using your NEIGHBOR'S outlet! Well, of course, you'll want to get the charge done as quickly as possible and unplug your cable.

Reactions: voom500
I agree that for a M3LR, the best option is a Tesla wall charger and 60 amps. If you have to run new wiring to the garage, you may want to future proof and consider charging 2 vehicles, or possibly 2 vehicles at an even higher amperage.

That said, my electrician had poor listening skills and I ended up with 50 amps. @roblab is right, my car almost never needs more than 3 hours of charging time to recoupe from my daily commute (even at the slightly slower 40 amp charging).

I'd still shoot for highest amps within reason though.

As for the HPWC vs the mobile charger - the HPWC is made to withstand outdoor weather, and it's hard wired as opposed to plugged into an outlet that may or may not be hearty enough for the job (especially if you intend to unplug the mobile charger regularly).

If you are installing new, the usual options are:
  • 40A or 50A circuit with NEMA 14-50 or 6-50 outlet and use the mobile connector in the car with the $45 plug adapter to charge at 32A.
  • 60A circuit with hardwired $495 wall connector to charge at 48A if your car will do it (RWD/SR+ does 32A, while LR/P does 48A).
The wall connector solution will be about $300 more ($495 - $45 plug adapter - ~$50 outlet - ~$100 GFCI breaker) plus any upcharge for the larger wiring needed to handle 60A versus 50A or 40A.

Questions to ask:
  • Do you want the higher charging rate or extra features of the wall connector (versus the mobile connector)?
  • Do you frequently need to have the mobile connector in the car for road trips involving charging other than Superchargers or other existing charging stations (i.e. charging at RV parks, houses not set up with EVSEs, etc.)? (Frequent plugging and unplugging from the 14-50 or 6-50 outlet is not recommended, although the plug-in setup is convenient for occasional removal and replacement needs.)
  • Do you not anticipate needing to install a J1772 EVSE for an existing or future J1772 EV, or are OK using a Tesla-EVSE-to-J1772 adapter for it? (Note: Tesla cars come with a J1772-to-Tesla adapter, so they can use J1772 EVSEs.)
More "yes" answers to the above favor the wall connector, while more "no" answers above favor using the outlet with the mobile connector.

You say you want to have quick charging, and I'm curious as to why. You've got ALL NIGHT to charge your car, something that normally takes a couple or three hours when using a 220-volt outlet. So what's your hurry? You gotta get up three times every night for a run to the 7-eleven? If you plug in when you get back, the car will charge.

Oh, I get it. You're using your NEIGHBOR'S outlet! Well, of course, you'll want to get the charge done as quickly as possible and unplug your cable.
Ha Ha, on the neighbor....no I want to be able to go to Napa and back during the day and then have the car ready to go that same evening.
This just use case but for the most part yes charging overnight is perfectly fine.

If you are installing new, the usual options are:
  • 40A or 50A circuit with NEMA 14-50 or 6-50 outlet and use the mobile connector in the car with the $45 plug adapter to charge at 32A.
  • 60A circuit with hardwired $495 wall connector to charge at 48A if your car will do it (RWD/SR+ does 32A, while LR/P does 48A).
The wall connector solution will be about $300 more ($495 - $45 plug adapter - ~$50 outlet - ~$100 GFCI breaker) plus any upcharge for the larger wiring needed to handle 60A versus 50A or 40A.

Questions to ask:
  • Do you want the higher charging rate or extra features of the wall connector (versus the mobile connector)?
  • Do you frequently need to have the mobile connector in the car for road trips involving charging other than Superchargers or other existing charging stations (i.e. charging at RV parks, houses not set up with EVSEs, etc.)? (Frequent plugging and unplugging from the 14-50 or 6-50 outlet is not recommended, although the plug-in setup is convenient for occasional removal and replacement needs.)
  • Do you not anticipate needing to install a J1772 EVSE for an existing or future J1772 EV, or are OK using a Tesla-EVSE-to-J1772 adapter for it? (Note: Tesla cars come with a J1772-to-Tesla adapter, so they can use J1772 EVSEs.)
More "yes" answers to the above favor the wall connector, while more "no" answers above favor using the outlet with the mobile connector.
These are very helpful questions for me to consider, thank you.

Several years ago, it used to make some sense maybe going for an outlet and plugging your mobile connector into it. Now the wall connector prices have come down, and there have been a few things added to electric code (and an adapter not included with the car anymore) that make doing the outlet much more expensive. So for only about $200 or so more, you can just do the wall connector and end up with a few advantages and an EXTRA charging device.

So I'm basically concurring with @Gauss Guzzler . If you have enough capacity in your house's electrical panel, just do the 60A circuit with a wall connector.

Reactions: pilotSteve