Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best Suspension replacement for the MY?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We will be offering our MPP Comfort Adjustable Coilovers for the Y soon, we are just wrapping up development right now. We were hoping they would port right over from the 3 due to the Y sharing many components, but it turned out to be more complicated than that!

That's great to hear! Do the model 3 versions have similar results as these Model Y ones will? The reason I ask is I'd like to do some research on the differences and see if they're suitable.

We've released our Model Y coilovers, which are more oriented for comfort than outright performance. We find they are pretty capable on track as well although advanced drivers might find them a little soft for dedicated track use. We'll have a performance oriented coilover available in the near future, which will suit drivers looking to maximize the performance of these cars.

If you're looking for the absolute best in performance or comfort, quality coilovers are generally the best solution since they offer better control over bumps than stock suspension systems.

Thanks for replying here and on my conversation! I've sent you a reply there, but happy to move the discussion here if you think it would be beneficial for others to read as well.

That's great to hear! Do the model 3 versions have similar results as these Model Y ones will? The reason I ask is I'd like to do some research on the differences and see if they're suitable.

Thanks for replying here and on my conversation! I've sent you a reply there, but happy to move the discussion here if you think it would be beneficial for others to read as well.

For our Model 3 kit, all you need to do is look up some reviews to see what people think! We are taking the same approach with this kit. We had to change the damper valving, body lengths, fork shapes, spring rates and spend weeks collecting data running a variety of different dampers and springs to zero in on the best ride, not to mention an ideal range of adjustment!

Reactions: GeezerSquid
We've released our Model Y coilovers, which are more oriented for comfort than outright performance. We find they are pretty capable on track as well although advanced drivers might find them a little soft for dedicated track use. We'll have a performance oriented coilover available in the near future, which will suit drivers looking to maximize the performance of these cars.

If you're looking for the absolute best in performance or comfort, quality coilovers are generally the best solution since they offer better control over bumps than stock suspension systems.

I would love to see the feedback for this quality coilovers for better control over bumps. Cant even sit in the back seat, because it so bumpy.

Reactions: TwoK4drSi
I have a non-performance AWD Y with 19" Gemini wheels and I really don't like the harsh ride. I tried lowering the tire pressure to 38 psi and it helped a little, but it still is not smooth enough

Since I don't care about performance or ride height and all I care about is comfort, what are my options besides the 3K$ (parts and labor) Unplugged Performance package? If that is my only option, has anyone tried them out?

Thanks,

Cliff

There are "mild" lowering springs by @UnpluggedP as well. Unfortunately they lower the ride height, and may have a less harsh feel, but overall you're going to want something that also has modifications to the shocks as well.

MountainPass and Redwood Motorsports are both working on something that should be available in 2021. So you could wait for that too, but they'll all be somewhat similar to what the Unplugged version will be like, and likely slightly more expensive.

There are "mild" lowering springs by @UnpluggedP as well. Unfortunately they lower the ride height, and may have a less harsh feel, but overall you're going to want something that also has modifications to the shocks as well.

MountainPass and Redwood Motorsports are both working on something that should be available in 2021. So you could wait for that too, but they'll all be somewhat similar to what the Unplugged version will be like, and likely slightly more expensive.

Thanks, I don't mind spending the money too much, but I'd want to see a noticeable and significant difference. What's odd about all this is that I used to hate mushy rides (I used to call it the Buick boat feel), but now I'm trending back in that direction. I guess that that's what getting old is all about.

Reactions: pt19713
Thanks, I don't mind spending the money too much, but I'd want to see a noticeable and significant difference. What's odd about all this is that I used to hate mushy rides (I used to call it the Buick boat feel), but now I'm trending back in that direction. I guess that that's what getting old is all about.

I am 100% in the same mindset as you about the mushy boat feel. I kind of want it now. I think it's also because that boat feeling would fit really well with this car. I had a track-ready audi s5, and that was a pretty harsh ride, but it felt right. On the Model Y, it feels out of place in a way.

I had posted earlier that I went on a spirited drive on a mountain road, and I was so impressed with how the Y handled. But that doesn't happen all the time for me, so I think I'm going to try to get the car more boaty.

I'm waiting for the MountainPass and Redwood Motorsports versions to come out, and hoping someone on the forums will have pulled the trigger to try the Unplugged performance version as well.

If it wasn't so pricy, I wouldn't mind being a guinea pig for it, but it's quite an investment (time for install + cost) without understanding how it'll really feel.

I was thinking of even sitting in a car that had the suspension to see how it felt, though with the pandemic happening, I feel like that would be a little insensitive.

Reactions: GeezerSquid
I am 100% in the same mindset as you about the mushy boat feel. I kind of want it now. I think it's also because that boat feeling would fit really well with this car. I had a track-ready audi s5, and that was a pretty harsh ride, but it felt right. On the Model Y, it feels out of place in a way.

I had posted earlier that I went on a spirited drive on a mountain road, and I was so impressed with how the Y handled. But that doesn't happen all the time for me, so I think I'm going to try to get the car more boaty.

I'm waiting for the MountainPass and Redwood Motorsports versions to come out, and hoping someone on the forums will have pulled the trigger to try the Unplugged performance version as well.

If it wasn't so pricy, I wouldn't mind being a guinea pig for it, but it's quite an investment (time for install + cost) without understanding how it'll really feel.

I was thinking of even sitting in a car that had the suspension to see how it felt, though with the pandemic happening, I feel like that would be a little insensitive.

Maybe we can incentivize someone to take the plunge. I'm thinking of $10. BTW, I live over the hill from you so I'm trying to imagine where you did your mountain road testing.

Maybe we can incentivize someone to take the plunge. I'm thinking of $10. BTW, I live over the hill from you so I'm trying to imagine where you did your mountain road testing.

I'll eventually give in to trying one of these setups. At the end of the day, the prices will probably be close enough where I'll just choose based on any existing reviews and minor differences.

Maybe one of the usual YouTubers who do a lot of product reviews will be able to do a review (and expense it, since it's part of their work).

Oh, the mountain road was up to Mount Tamalpais from the south side, then to Bolinas-Fairfax road down to Alpine Lake. It's a beautiful place. When I went, I grabbed this photo: Login • Instagram

Other good spots would be Skyline Blvd. in the Oakland Hills, Mt. Diablo, etc. -- these roads are pretty busy though, so I usually drive at a crawl to avoid bikers and poor drivers. Mt Tamalpais is a little less crowded, but you'll get an RV going at 5mph blocking everything sometimes. No biggie, even at a slow pace you'll get plenty of fun.

I have a set of the Unplugged Performance coil-overs on order. I originally had ordered the Mild Springs from them, but cancelled that order and switched to the coil-overs after talking to the great guys at Unplugged Performance. Will post as soon as I get them on the car.

I'm also looking forward to your review. When you mention coil-overs, is that different from the "LUXURY COILOVER SUSPENSION KIT" for $2450? If you don't mind, could you also tell us how much was the installation cost?

Thanks,

I have a set of the Unplugged Performance coil-overs on order. I originally had ordered the Mild Springs from them, but cancelled that order and switched to the coil-overs after talking to the great guys at Unplugged Performance. Will post as soon as I get them on the car.

One more question - what did they tell you to convince you to move from the mild springs to the coil-overs?

Looks like what you are looking for:

Mild Springs provide a comfort-focused ride for those who want a more luxurious ride without reducing ground clearance for off-road use.

From talking to @UnpluggedP, this isn't really the case. I believe the springs still lower, and it's said that without modifying the shocks, you really can't get the softer ride. These springs might help a little, but I believe it's probably not much.

From talking to @UnpluggedP, this isn't really the case. I believe the springs still lower, and it's said that without modifying the shocks, you really can't get the softer ride. These springs might help a little, but I believe it's probably not much.
Coilovers is the best route for a better ride. I believe @UnpluggedP has them in stock now as I was asking about the model 3 stock status.

Coilovers is the best route for a better ride. I believe @UnpluggedP has them in stock now as I was asking about the model 3 stock status.

Where is UnpluggedP located? I am in the Bay Area and am taking a serious look at getting their MY package for $2,495 but does anyone know what installation will run you and if there are any reputable shops in Bay Area that have handled these yet?