Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best way to charge to prevent battery degradation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the responses. I understand that there will be some degradation with time and use/mileage. However, i did not expect this with just 800 miles on our tesla. If anyone can share their data on projected range at different battery percentages (80%, 85%, 90% etc) that would be great (on 20223 model y LR).

regards

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
I believe these are estimated calculated by the car. When it is fully charged, the estimate will change- or something to this effect....
basically what you're seeing is not the true range or condition of the battery but an estimate.

Someone can correct me, but I believe this is what I've been reading.

Reactions: jsight
You’re not gonna get 330 miles of range anyway; the EPA estimated range is a joke. Your change in estimated range is probably due to the changes in driving conditions and W/mi. Pay attention to your w/mi on the trips card; if it’s going up your estimated range is going down.

Hello - I am new to this forum. We just got a brand new 2023 tesla model y long range awd. My tesla has less than 800 miles. It indicates it has 279 miles @ 85% battery charge. It used to indicate 280 miles but now it consistently shows 279 projected miles. (0.85*330 = 280.5 miles). How much are others getting? Also, do we have data for 80%, 90% battery charge?

Thanks so much!
If you use the search feature and search for "estimated range" in the Battery & Charging forum you will find many threads on this topic.

First, there is nothing wrong with your Tesla vehicle. The estimated range value displayed next to the battery symbol is based on the battery % state of charge and the Tesla EPA combined city/highway energy consumption of ~230 Wh/mi. In most cases your driving will not be able to match this energy consumption. Your consumption will be higher (in the range of 260 to 280 Wh/mi). This is fine. Many Tesla Model Y owners prefer to display the battery state of charge instead of the estimated range value. Tap the displayed value to switch between estimated range and % state of charge.

0.559%

Not kidding, or only kidding a little. But it is a very theoretical number.

Ten months of 80% at 25C would cost about 5% and 10 months at 25C at 55% or less would cost 2.5%.
2 weeks is 0.5 x ((0.5/10)^0.5)x5 = 0.559%

But as we know there is that recoverey effect that probably can reduce that number, so less than 0.6% then.
Its probable that quite much from the loss will be recovered, at least if looking at the data from a research test of Tesla model S cells that was taken out of a 6 month old Model S
Need some advice here. I would like to set limit to 55% SoC. So lets say i do some daily driving to work and other stuff. Then in the evening I arrive home with 35%. Is this low SoC still safe to leave it through the night and charge it next day at work? What would be acceptable and safe low SoC to leave through the night? Tnx.

Need some advice here. I would like to set limit to 55% SoC. So lets say i do some daily driving to work and other stuff. Then in the evening I arrive home with 35%. Is this low SoC still safe to leave it through the night and charge it next day at work? What would be acceptable and safe low SoC to leave through the night? Tnx.
Yes; totally safe. There is no minimum SoC (other than 0%) that would be an issue. Don't forget to factor in the the time it will take to charge back to 55% before you leave. When the SoC is less than 20% then Sentry mode, Dog mode and Cabin Overheat protection will be disabled. Leaving your Tesla Model Y, overnight, with a 35% SoC will not be a problem.

Storing the Tesla Model Y at temperatures between 10C (50F) and 18C (65F) will not be detrimental to the battery.

Reactions: Resist
Yes; totally safe. There is no minimum SoC (other than 0%) that would be an issue. Don't forget to factor in the the time it will take to charge back to 55% before you leave. When the SoC is less than 20% then Sentry mode, Dog mode and Cabin Overheat protection will be disabled. Leaving your Tesla Model Y, overnight, with a 35% SoC will not be a problem.

Storing the Tesla Model Y at temperatures between 10C (50F) and 18C (65F) will not be detrimental to the battery.
Thank you for reply. I'm asking about low SoC because on other forum there was chart (that I cant find at the moment) where strain on the battery was also significant on low state of charge. So that kinda freaked me out and I'm hesitant to leave car overnight with anything lower than 40%. But I'm here to learn :) so thank you for the info.

It indicates it has 279 miles[...] It used to indicate 280 miles
This is in the noise of the measurement. This isn't even in the realm where you could ask about whether it's anything wrong or degradation or anything else. Think of 280 as the entire capacity. 1 single rated mile difference is just barely over a third of a percent difference of that total. It's not going to be that precise.

Thank you for reply. I'm asking about low SoC because on other forum there was chart (that I cant find at the moment) where strain on the battery was also significant on low state of charge. So that kinda freaked me out and I'm hesitant to leave car overnight with anything lower than 40%. But I'm here to learn :) so thank you for the info.
Deeper discharge before recharging does factor into increased battery degradation over time. Maintaining the battery by charging daily enables maintaining the battery SoC within a narrower range. 55% down to 35% or 60% down to 30% or whatever you need for your daily driving needs is fine.

All these concern over battery degradation when charging above 55% up to 90% is over perhaps 3% additional degradation, not even 10 miles of driving range. I regularly charge my 2020 LRMY up to 80% (85% in winter) and have no concern about the additional degradation this might cause.

I estimate that after 3 years my 2020 LRMY has a range when charged to 100% SoC of ~250 miles. This in no way limits my ability to travel any place I might want to drive my Model Y because of the continuous build out of the Tesla Supercharger network.

35% isn't low at all. It's fine sitting through the night.

I typically make it home from road trips with 15-18%. I have my Wall Connector set to charge starting at 4:00a (usually set to charge to 50% for the next work day commute). If I made it home with just 5%, I might be tempted to go ahead and charge.

35% isn't low at all. It's fine sitting through the night.

I typically make it home from road trips with 15-18%. I have my Wall Connector set to charge starting at 4:00a (usually set to charge to 50% for the next work day commute). If I made it home with just 5%, I might be tempted to go ahead and charge.
Perfect, great info :) I'm thinking about wall charger but I just dont do long commutes (usualy about 20km or 12mi). Still tempting though :)

You mean like this picture in this post?
Battery Degradation Scientifically Explained

Well, that picture and the other updated one is made out of rumors.
@Zoomit made the very best effort to draw that from information he did get here.

If you look at the research and all tests there is nothing that supports that picture at all.
—> In short, it is wrong.

This is from the real world tests, backed up by a lot of degradation tests for calendar aging. We know this is true for most NCS cells.
7AD8097A-AB31-4A95-86E2-D3AE9751B848.jpeg

Hor does it look if we use actual cells taken from a Tesla?
Well, like this:
This is actual Tesla model S cells, taken from s 6 months old S.
Low numbers is good.
F2090594-E516-4A82-A3C3-7BAEDAE54604.jpeg

In terms of the battery cells: Low SOC is very good down to 0%.

okay, here are some real world data from me. Purchased Oct 2020, and I have 35635 miles. according to TeslaFi my battery degradation from new is 10.68%.

I only Supercharge maybe 12 times a year. I almost always charge to 80% everyday. BUT since i charge at work, for free, mostly i do also tend to cold soak the battery at as low as 20% till I get back into the office. Now I've seen projections on Tesl;aFi of up to 14.65% degradation, but recently I've noticed that after a long trip and basically taking the battery down to close to 10% a few times the mileage calculation has gone up ( or down which ever way you want to look at it).

So while i was bummed for a while being below the curve so to speak, now i'm firmly in it.

Reactions: BOFI
You mean like this picture in this post?
Battery Degradation Scientifically Explained

Well, that picture and the other updated one is made out of rumors.
@Zoomit made the very best effort to draw that from information he did get here.

If you look at the research and all tests there is nothing that supports that picture at all.
—> In short, it is wrong.

This is from the real world tests, backed up by a lot of degradation tests for calendar aging. We know this is true for most NCS cells.
View attachment 946904

Hor does it look if we use actual cells taken from a Tesla?
Well, like this:
This is actual Tesla model S cells, taken from s 6 months old S.
Low numbers is good.
View attachment 946905

In terms of the battery cells: Low SOC is very good down to 0%.
Realy appreciate all the info you provided. And yes, that is exactly image I had in mind....only that I saw it on bmw i4 forum :).

To summarise your answer: its perfectly fine to live car at approx 30% SoC overnight daily (garage) and charge it next day at work (and time it so it will fill towards end of working day)?

Reactions: AAKEE
Realy appreciate all the info you provided. And yes, that is exactly image I had in mind....only that I saw it on bmw i4 forum :).

To summarise your answer: its perfectly fine to live car at approx 30% SoC overnight daily (garage) and charge it next day at work (and time it so it will fill towards end of working day)?
Yes, it is ok.

I regularly have my car at the end-of-the-day SOC overnight.
I leave my car with 7 to 20% every week at my my work, parked for one week each time. Last week it was at 11% most part of that week.
It is parked so it can be charged at work but I aim to arrive with low SOC and keep it like that.

Reactions: BOFI
Yes, it is ok.

I regularly have my car at the end-of-the-day SOC overnight.
I leave my car with 7 to 20% every week at my my work, parked for one week each time. Last week it was at 11% most part of that week.
It is parked so it can be charged at work but I aim to arrive with low SOC and keep it like that.
Perfect, tnx for info, really appreciated.

Reactions: AAKEE