Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best way to precondition / Charge for retired people

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes there is. Cold batteries provide little to no regenerative braking , which is very annoying.
If your idea of a reason is wasting boatloads of unnecessary energy to avoid something “very annoying”, then I guess you go ahead and have a great time with that.

There’s no compelling battery health reason to precondition unless it’s *very* cold. The blended/automatic braking to mimic regen in recent firmwares is even more of a reason to not burn a bunch of fossil fuels to heat our batteries and protect us from the indignity of having to use the brake pedal like a filthy poor. ;)

Reactions: AAKEE and android04
I've been reading about preconditioning and it's usually for people who goes to work regularly or plan for long trips. I'm retired and I drive at different times of the day or don't drive at all, so what's the best way to precondition to maximize battery life? I live in Reno, NV and winter weather varies quite a bit from 30F to 60F during the day. Most of the time it's mid 30s to mid 40s but the purpose of creating this thread is maximizing battery life. Summer weather can be mid 90s to mid 100s.

So far, the charger is plugged in every night and remains plugged until I drive and plug in again at night. I plug in to charge once a day instead of multiple chargings per day.

Should I even bother preconditioning at all since my driving schedule is very erratic? Is always leaving the charger plugged in just as good as preconditioning?

Thanks,
Peter
No need to precondition at all. The only benefit is to get in a warm car. The batteries will do fine. I am saying this as a Model 3 owner now past 100,000 miles.

If you want to maintain consistent regen even if the battery pack is cold, then just turn on the recently added setting to blend in the actual brakes when regen is weak so that it always feels like you have full regen. Go to vehicle controls (icon of the car on the bottom left) > Pedals & Steering > Apply Brakes When Regenerative Braking is Limited

No. Preconitioning is = heating (or cooling) the cabin to the set temperature. And heat the battery if needed.

In Swedish,
Förkonditionera = Precondition

Next row means: Set the climate and preaheat battery.

View attachment 900680

It does not, and then most of the idea of planning to heat the battery will not change anything noticably for you.

Tesla will heat the battery automatically, at latest when you start to drive and even if you just start the AC/heater to precondition on the ”fan button” in the app shortly before the drive.
The battery does not cool very fast but it will heat up quite quickly so 30 minutes will be good enough at more or less *any* time.

Yep.

AAKEE, är det svårt att hyra en Model 3 i Stockholm? Jag känner mer bekväma om jag är en turist kör runt landet med en model 3.

If your idea of a reason is wasting boatloads of unnecessary energy to avoid something “very annoying”, then I guess you go ahead and have a great time with that.

There’s no compelling battery health reason to precondition unless it’s *very* cold. The blended/automatic braking to mimic regen in recent firmwares is even more of a reason to not burn a bunch of fossil fuels to heat our batteries and protect us from the indignity of having to use the brake pedal like a filthy poor. ;)
It's not wasting any energy to charge 1 hour before leaving instead of 8,10 or 12 hours before leaving.

I have no blended braking option on v2022.8.10.8 which is the most recent one available for my old fossil. Besides, I wouldn't want to disturb the spider webs on my brake pads. :)

It's not wasting any energy to charge 1 hour before leaving instead of 8,10 or 12 hours before leaving.

I have no blended braking option on v2022.8.10.8 which is the most recent one available for my old fossil. Besides, I wouldn't want to disturb the spider webs on my brake pads. :)
Are you saying because you have an older Tesla model, there are no more software updates maybe because your car is no longer compatible with latest Tesla software updates?

Peter

Are you saying because you have an older Tesla model, there are no more software updates maybe because your car is no longer compatible with latest Tesla software updates?

Peter
I just haven't been notified that a newer version is available for me lately. According to TeslaFi there are cars my age running newer software, but 52% of them are still on the same version as I am. When I get updates that have functionality not compatible with my car those features are just left out (like car wash mode).

Last edited:
Must be a nightmare for Tesla software engineers to maintain support for older Tesla models without affecting new models and vice versa.

Peter
It's not an unusual situation. Software for any device will sooner or later have to deal with HW upgrades. Software for computers have to deal with different versions of operating systems, and often multiple operating systems. Don't even get started with dealing with phone apps and the huge number of permutations there.

I have a new 2023 RWD LFP vehicle. It is 2 months old. I have the Tesla wall charger in my garage. I do the same thing every week. 60 miles each day on T,W,Sat and Sun. Thursday is 50 miles. Basically no travel on Monday or Friday. My average Wh/mile is 207. I’ve been charging to 100% every Friday telling the wall charger to finish at 6am for a 6:30 departure Saturday. I can often make it through the weekend and Tuesday and Wednesday no problem. I’ll recharge to 35-40% and make my Thursday trip. Friday night it’s back to 100% charge. How does this sound? I’m trying to keep my average SOC down

Tesla talks about keeping the car plugged in every day and this confuses me. Should I be plugging in and NOT charging? This makes no sense to me. Are people really doing this?

I’m new at this and trying to learn. I love the car and plan on keeping it for a long time. Thanks for any help and suggestions. I have an ICE vehicle for emergencies.

I have a new 2023 RWD LFP vehicle. It is 2 months old. I have the Tesla wall charger in my garage. I do the same thing every week. 60 miles each day on T,W,Sat and Sun. Thursday is 50 miles. Basically no travel on Monday or Friday. My average Wh/mile is 207. I’ve been charging to 100% every Friday telling the wall charger to finish at 6am for a 6:30 departure Saturday. I can often make it through the weekend and Tuesday and Wednesday no problem. I’ll recharge to 35-40% and make my Thursday trip. Friday night it’s back to 100% charge. How does this sound? I’m trying to keep my average SOC down

Tesla talks about keeping the car plugged in every day and this confuses me. Should I be plugging in and NOT charging? This makes no sense to me. Are people really doing this?

I’m new at this and trying to learn. I love the car and plan on keeping it for a long time. Thanks for any help and suggestions. I have an ICE vehicle for emergencies.

What is the confusing part?

If you read the manual, Tesla wants you to plug in as much as possible while not driving.

It is straightforward, but if you don't want to follow the manual, then it is confusing.

For LFP, the manual also wants you to charge at least 100% once a week. That’s the least. If you can do more then that is what the manual tells you.

Unless you think the manual makes a mistake because it didn’t write up your method?

Where in the manual encourage you to keep your SOC down to 35-40%?

Your practice of grinding down your battery unnecessarily before charging it back up is the opposite of what the manual instructs:

"Model 3 has one of the most sophisticated battery systems in the world. The most important way to preserve the high voltage Battery is to LEAVE YOUR VEHICLE PLUGGED IN when you are not using it."

Tesla talks about keeping the car plugged in every day and this confuses me.
Very straight forward.
Should I be plugging in and NOT charging?
You should plug in and charge per the instruction.
This makes no sense to me.
More details, please. The instruction is clear.
Are people really doing this?
No, not everyone. The manual is there but they don't need to follow instructions.

I’m new at this and trying to learn.
I would encourage you to follow the manual first.

Once, you are familiar with the instructions, then you can venture out by not following instructions at your own risk.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: KenC
@KenBlub Since your car has the LFP battery, Tesla's recommendation is to charge to 100% on a regular basis. This assumes that you also let the car get down to ~20% (or less if you're comfortable with being that low and you're not too far from a charger) on occasion. This helps with calculating the estimated range your car will provide you.

If you keep your car plugged in all the time, the charging system will stop once your target percentage is reached (the slider in the Charge menu). The battery's charge will naturally drop on its own if left alone for several hours/days, depending upon if you enable Sentry mode, cabin overheat protection and other "vampire" drains. If the battery charge drops several percent, the charger will automatically "top off" the battery, again, to whatever limit you have selected.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lindenwood
What is the confusing part?

If you read the manual, Tesla wants you to plug in as much as possible while not driving.

It is straightforward, but if you don't want to follow the manual, then it is confusing.

For LFP, the manual also wants you to charge at least 100% once a week. That’s the least. If you can do more then that is what the manual tells you.

Unless you think the manual makes a mistake because it didn’t write up your method?

Where in the manual encourage you to keep your SOC down?

Your practice of grinding down your battery unnecessarily before charging it back up is the opposite of what the manual instructs:

"Model 3 has one of the most sophisticated battery systems in the world. The most important way to preserve the high voltage Battery is to LEAVE YOUR VEHICLE PLUGGED IN when you are not using it."

Very straight forward.

You should plug in and charge per the instruction.

More details, please. The instruction is clear.

No, not everyone. The manual is there but they don't need to follow instructions.

I would encourage you to follow the manual first.

Once, you are familiar with the instructions, then you can venture out by not following instructions at your own risk.

Well Tam, I DID read the manual. I also charge to 100% once per week

IF Tesla recommends plugging in your car each and every day and charge it to 100%, even if only driven a few miles, that’s easy to clearly say WITHOUT having the phrase charge it to 100% at least once per week. Charge it to 100% every day would suffice.

But the manual doesn’t clearly say that.
If they meant charge to 100% if not driven for a week to accommodate phantom drain, they could have said that a lot more clearly than their recommendation.

In addition, AAKEE and others have posted data strongly suggesting calendar degradation is lessened in LFP batteries when kept at a lower SOC. There are also multiple articles discussing having to recalibrate the BMS system when the BMS doesn’t have enough data points below 100% to get accurate information about remaining range.

Thanks for the reply Tam
@KenBlub Since your car has the LFP battery, Tesla's recommendation is to charge to 100% on a regular basis. This assumes that you also let the car get down to ~20% (or less if you're comfortable with being that low and you're not too far from a charger) on occasion. This helps with calculating the estimated range your car will provide you.

If you keep your car plugged in all the time, the charging system will stop once your target percentage is reached (the slider in the Charge menu). The battery's charge will naturally drop on its own if left alone for several hours/days, depending upon if you enable Sentry mode, cabin overheat protection and other "vampire" drains. If the battery charge drops several percent, the charger will automatically "top off" the battery, again, to whatever limit you have selected.

Reactions: MikeRTX and pipp

Ray- I agree with you and this is what I do. I discharge down to 20% which takes care of my 4 consecutive 60 mile days. I charge to 35% for my 50 mile day and then every Friday night charge to 100%. Other replies here I should be charging every day in which case my battery will never get lower than 80% SOC. In my garage I have 0 vampire drain per Tessie.

Thanks for the reply

Well Tam, I DID read the manual. I also charge to 100% once per week
You are fulfilling the instruction of "at least."

IF Tesla recommends plugging in your car each and every day and charge it to 100%, even if only driven a few miles, that’s easy to clearly say WITHOUT having the phrase charge it to 100% at least once per week. Charge it to 100% every day would suffice.

Don't forget that it also says:

If I can't plug it in all the time when I am not driving because I don't have access to charging, then the instruction gives you a way out: "at least once a week."

Not everyone has access to an electrical outlet at home for their cars. Thus, the way out is "at least once a week."

Another example of "at least" is at what speed the cruise control can be turned on: 18 MPH. Does that mean when the traffic is 85 MPH, should I decelerate down to 18 MPH to turn on the cruise control? No! In this case the more to match the high speed of the traffic flow the better. When the traffic is 85 MPH I should not slow down but to keep the speed at 85 MPH and turn on the cruise control.

"To initiate Traffic-Aware Cruise Control when no vehicle is detected ahead of you, you must be driving at least 18 mph (30 km/h), "

Same with "at least once a week."

In addition, AAKEE and others have posted data strongly suggesting calendar degradation is lessened in LFP batteries when kept at a lower SOC. There are also multiple articles discussing having to recalibrate the BMS system when the BMS doesn’t have enough data points below 100% to get accurate information about remaining range.

It looks like you've got other information besides the manual. It's not about unclear instructions. It's about making a choice:

1) Follow the Tesla's instruction
or
2) Follow AAKEE.

Last edited:
You are fulfilling the instruction of "at least."

Don't forget that it also says:

If I can't plug it in all the time when I am not driving because I don't have access to charging, then the instruction gives you a way out: "at least once a week."

Not everyone has access to an electrical outlet at home for their cars. Thus, the way out is "at least once a week."

It looks like you've got other information besides the manual. It's not about unclear instructions. It's about making a choice:

1) Follow the Tesla's instruction
or
2) Follow AAKEE.
Tam: I have a home charger. None of my trips uses over 20% of my battery. Are you saying that to strictly follow the manual, I’d charge to 100% every day even if I have a 95% SOC? That’s what leave the car plugged in when not using it. My battery would never get below 80% SOC. Have you even looked at the data for LFP batteries and how to lessen calendar aging.

I’ll follow @AAEE. I’ve seen the data he’s posted. Until Tesla actually posts data on the effect of never discharging a LFP battery below 80% and it’s impact on calendar aging and BMS calibration, I’ll go with the science posted on this forum.

Reactions: AAKEE and pipp