Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Bio-weapon defense mode" option - yes or no?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ironically, I bet the HEPA filter has one of the highest profit margins of all the options.

Dan
Possibly with the exception of Ludicrous mode and/or the autopilot feature. Both of which to my understanding is a digital bit-flip on appropriately spec'ed / built cars?

edit: I would consider it pending content of package and overall package price. While recirculation is great and the feature has a high gimick factor, I would think this would cut down on the dust and film buildup on the inside of the car making interior window cleaning a less frequent headache.. ;)
<-- end of edit.

• Disagree
Reactions: Tiberius
Tesla is trying to make safe cars, but you have to draw a line somewhere. Every other car on the planet does not have this feature, and people are doing just fine without it.

It may be too expensive to invest in alternate tooling to make this happen. It will be an add-on which will increase the "fully loaded" cost. You can't expect every single feature on the S to be available in some form or another on the 3, or else you'd end up with a 3 that cost over $100k. Some features need to be reserved for different cars in the manufacturer's lineup. No other car company offers, as paid options, everything that makes the next car up better, because then what's the point in buying the more expensive car?

"It's bigger and some people like a bigger car" is not an acceptable response. There will be features and stuff on the S that the 3 does not have and will never have.

Safety is a noble cause, sure. But in the end, Tesla needs to make money, and something superfluous and not really needed is this HEPA filter. You want it? Buy the more expensive car. I suspect this will just be one of many neat features you won't find on the 3 in order to justify an S purchase.

I don't think I need to preach that Tesla is not every other car company. Just because the other car companies do it does not mean Tesla will do the same. Gross margins is what is important to Tesla not which model of car they sell. I guarantee you that a Model 3 optioned to the gills will be bring a higher gross margin than a base Model S. Say I have a finite amount of money to spend. Lets go with $75,000. I could use that $75,000 and buy a base Model S or I could buy a fully Loaded Ludicrous Bio-hazard Model 3 for say $70,000. Why would Tesla not want my money. So they could sell a few more Model S's at a lower gross margin. It would be smart for Tesla to leverage the R & D of the options across all platforms and as some have pointed out especially with options that have insane margins.

Bio-weapon defense mode is (I believe) literally a joke. If you encounter a skunk, and can activate it before you smell it, it will save you some discomfort, nothing more.

HEPA filtration could be vital for people with debilitating asthma or allergys. The rest of us will be fine.

Thank you kindly.

Tesla will reserve some features for the S/X line only.

This is Tesla we are talking about. Their luxury sedan has a 0-60 time less than their (obsolete) high end sports car.

Besides that there is no reason to reserve features. These features are high margin, selling more of them, means more cash for other projects. At this point it is impossible for the ≡ to pull customers from the S or X. The reverse is far more likely.

Thank you kindly.

At this point it is impossible for the ≡ to pull customers from the S or X. The reverse is far more likely.

Thank you kindly.

I'm skeptical of that argument. We're leasing a Model S until the 3 comes out, and then plan to trade it in for a 3. The main reason being that the S is much larger than our needs dictate and the 3 will be a lot more practical and just as much fun.

I'm skeptical of that argument. We're leasing a Model S until the 3 comes out, and then plan to trade it in for a 3. The main reason being that the S is much larger than our needs dictate and the 3 will be a lot more practical and just as much fun.

You are an example of exactly what I am talking about. You caused the production of a Model S, because you are waiting for the Model ≡. Tesla doesn't count that as a loss. That is selling two cars instead of one.

Thank you kindly.

You are an example of exactly what I am talking about. You caused the production of a Model S, because you are waiting for the Model ≡. Tesla doesn't count that as a loss. That is selling two cars instead of one.

Thank you kindly.

And I'm more than happy to serve that role for Tesla ;-). However I fully expect people who might have bought an S, to get a 3 instead, especially city dwellers.

Bio weapon defense mode is most desirable in locations with smog problems, e.g. Los Angeles, Hong Kong, Beijing. You can bet that the hepa filter will be offered on the model 3. The model 3 isn't competing with the model S. Electric cars are a rapidly expanding segment. Tesla as a whole is competing with the rest of the automotive industry, so any unique competitive advantage like particulate free cabin air will for sure be exploited by Tesla. Anything else would be pretty stupid.

Anyone seriously considering a Model S now is not going to wait until 2021 for a Model ≡.

Thank you kindly.

I don't think I ever said they would. There'll be plenty of people in 2018 and beyond who will gladly get a 3 instead of an S. 3 will cannibalize S sales to some extent, but mostly it'll be cannibalizing the rest of the market, so likely won't be much of an issue for Tesla.

Then I am totally confused about what you were trying to say in msg 28.

Thank you kindly.

It's pretty simple.

Today there's basically one level of choice for people who want a Tesla, a luxury priced Model S or X. For the vast majority of people who want a Tesla, they'd need to stretch their budget and get an S or X.

In 2017, there'll be two levels, an economically priced Model 3 and luxury priced Model S and X. For a majority of people who want a Tesla, they no longer have to stretch their budget, as a Model 3 is far more affordable.

Based off of all of survey's that have been done here and elsewhere, buying a Tesla was a major stretch for a lot of people, and represented the most expensive car they've ever owned, by a significant margin. Model 3 sales will cannibalize that market in the future. However, looking at the scale of Model 3 production vs Model S production, it shouldn't negatively affect the bottom line for Tesla.

If it's included included in the premium upgrades package I will almost certainly be getting it, my priorities for the car are any technology and comfort upgrades as absolute musts app followed closely by AWD, range and air suspension.