Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nashville (actually near junction of Franklin and Brentwood) to Birmingham is less than 190 miles. So should be no problem if you have a . full charged 85.. If you have a 60 or partly charged 85 ,just slow down.

Yes. Franklin to Louisville is 190 miles also too. BTDT. But its very nice now to have Bowling Green in between.

There is a significant range increase at 60 mph compared to 75 mph. You will still get there, why rush the experience of driving the world's best car?
Memphis (under construction) and Birmingham will make the Tesla much more useful to Tennessee drivers.

Been meaning to spend some time with the math to calculate just how much faster one gets somewhere at 75 MPH vs 60 MPH considering the longer charge times needed to recover from 75 MPH. Considering the car charges faster than it discharges there is some savings of time, but not as much as one might imagine.

If the stretch between Birmingham and Brentwood looks like it'll be too much, I've got a 40A outdoor HPWC listed on plugshare.

Google Maps says it's 177 miles from Tesla Nashville to BJCC. Not 190.

I expect 185 miles or less of range would be consumed at posted speed limits in my 85 over this segment. Speaking as one who driven both ways several times, just not direct from one to the other.

Nashville (actually near junction of Franklin and Brentwood) to Birmingham is less than 190 miles. So should be no problem if you have a . full charged 85.. If you have a 60 or partly charged 85 ,just slow down. There is a significant range increase at 60 mph compared to 75 mph. You will still get there, why rush the experience of driving the world's best car?
Memphis (under construction) and Birmingham will make the Tesla much more useful to Tennessee drivers.

Tesla is selling no compromise EVs. Driving 60 mph in a 70 mph speed limit is a severe compromise and at times dangerous with other vehicles traveling 75-80.

Been meaning to spend some time with the math to calculate just how much faster one gets somewhere at 75 MPH vs 60 MPH considering the longer charge times needed to recover from 75 MPH. Considering the car charges faster than it discharges there is some savings of time, but not as much as one might imagine.

I think that is highly dependent on how far apart the Superchargers are. If they are 100-150 miles apart and you can do most of your charging 80-120 kW I'm pretty sure driving as fast as you legally/reasonably can is faster. When you start needing a 90+% charge at a Supercharger that is when slowing down might save you some time.

The steady state problem is trivial. If you assume 300 Wh per mile, then a cruising Model S consumes around 20 kW. Even if you are absolutely flying at 90 MPH, supercharging power is always faster than cruising power.

The real question is the NON steady state problem, where there are two major factors. First you need to account for the time spent getting off the highway, plugging in, etc., which absolutely makes a huge difference. Second, if slowing down might save you an entire supercharging stop, then it's no question, slow down so you can make it to your destination. EV veterans have a saying, "drive slow to get there fast", if you can skip a charging stop entirely. (Not that I could do it, I'd rather drive faster and make the charging stop.)

But this is only marginally connected to the topic of this thread, Birmingham, and discussed ad nauseum elsewhere on this forum.

I am disappointed that nobody here has stalked around Uptown looking for possible locations :)

There are plenty of trucks and older cars traveling 60 to 65 mph on interstates in the Southeast. Just stay in the right lane preferably not too far behind a large truck.
Whether the lower speed is a major compromise or not depends on the individual. And the specific trip.
Why spend the big bucks on the world's best car and then try to spend as little time in it as possible?
Like having a $5 million home and choosing to sleep in Motel 6.

Reactions: NOLA_Mike
There are plenty of trucks and older cars traveling 60 to 65 mph on interstates in the Southeast. Just stay in the right lane preferably not too far behind a large truck.
Whether the lower speed is a major compromise or not depends on the individual. And the specific trip.
Why spend the big bucks on the world's best car and then try to spend as little time in it as possible?
Like having a $5 million home and choosing to sleep in Motel 6.

You guys obviously don't have a toddler. Also our road trips are typically to see loved ones or some sort of attraction. Let's say I am taking an 500 mile road trip. Driving 60 instead of 75 adds over an hour and a half to the trip (not counting the slightly reduced charging time due to the better efficiency). I would rather spend time with my friends and family in a Motel 6 than sit alone in a $5 million home.

I also don't really understand the argument here. Are you guys advocating that Tesla should not put a Supercharger between Birmingham and Nashville because people can just suck it up and drive 60 mph?

I also don't really understand the argument here. Are you guys advocating that Tesla should not put a Supercharger between Birmingham and Nashville because people can just suck it up and drive 60 mph?

Where do you get the idea 177 miles between Franklin-Nashville and Birmingham is a difficult stretch requiring extreme measures?

Model 3 will require intermediate Superchargers that 85 kWh Teslas do not require. I was delighted when the 189 mile path between Franklin and Louisville opened. Then Bowling Green was icing on the cake. Decatur/Athens is necessary but not currently essential. I have a coming trip to Atlanta, 192 miles cross country or longer via Chattanooga. Will probably go one way, return the other simply for variety, and because I can.

Where do you get the idea 177 miles between Franklin-Nashville and Birmingham is a difficult stretch requiring extreme measures?

Model 3 will require intermediate Superchargers that 85 kWh Teslas do not require. I was delighted when the 189 mile path between Franklin and Louisville opened. Then Bowling Green was icing on the cake. Decatur/Athens is necessary but not currently essential. I have a coming trip to Atlanta, 192 miles cross country or longer via Chattanooga. Will probably go one way, return the other simply for variety, and because I can.

For an 85 or 90 kWh battery sure, 177 miles is not that bad. But plug the permit location for the Birmingham Supercharger to the Brentwood Supercharger into evtripplanner.com. Right off the bat the older 60 kWh will not make it. A 70 kWh should be ok, but you would need to charge to near 100% which takes a while. Change the exterior temperature to 32 and now a 70, 70D, and 85 with 21" wheels aren't making it either. This is assuming going the speed of traffic, about 5 mph over the speed limit.

It is pretty well accepted that 100-120 miles is the optimal distance for Superchargers, as evidenced by Tesla's planning.

Tesla's prediction map indicates a Supercharger will be located in the vicinity of Athens, AL. I highly suspect the Ruby Tuesday parking lot near the intersection of AL Hwy 72 and I-65 will be its location. There are 4 hotels and 4 restaurants within walking distance.

I drove around the area ("Up Town") where the Birmingham Supercharger is supposed to be located this afternoon and didn't see any construction. After looking at the area, I'm now very curious where it will be located. The only areas where I could see them installing a supercharger are within the two paid parking lots. Otherwise there will be a lot ICE cars using those spots.

Tesla's prediction map indicates a Supercharger will be located in the vicinity of Athens, AL. I highly suspect the Ruby Tuesday parking lot near the intersection of AL Hwy 72 and I-65 will be its location. There are 4 hotels and 4 restaurants within walking distance.

I live very close and drive that intersection quite often. Have long said that I thought I-65/US-72 was the most hospitable, but I-65/I-565 is best for covering both north/south and east/west traffic.

Until recently there was an oddball deadend road between Wendy's and McDonalds, on the McDonalds side which ended just before US-72. Was often used for overnight parking. Satellite photos currently show bare dirt. Also not that well known is the parking lot behind McDonalds heavily used by semi trucks for overnight parking.

Across US-72 is a Cracker Barrel. On the west side of I-65 I'd prefer to Supercharge near the Bojangles' fried chicken place.

Any would be better than nothing.

There is at least 30 Tesla in Birmingham. I own a Model S and a Model X in Hoover. We will have a Tesla owners meet in Birmingham Oct.13 11:30am to 12:30pm at Carrigan Pub House downtown Birmingham. All Tesla owners are welcome.

Sounds fun! love Carrigans and I love Teslas. I don't own one, can I join and gaze upon everyone's wonderful cars?