Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought this was funny... Caught on the Nest Cam that keeps an eye on the carport....

The UPS Driver was delivering some packages, but walked away with a few pictures, too... (Yes, I'm sure it's against company policy, but I'm going with flattered instead of threatened...)

Clearly they are still a rarity in Birmingham!

See ya'll tomorrow at Carrigans!

Slightly off topic but will be travelling thru Bham in the coming months and was looking for recommended locations to charge in town. Love plugshare but looking for reliability, availability and ease of use recommendations for quick 30-40 mile charge to get the rest of the way to Greenville SC or back to home.

Model X 90D

Mark...

@Jackyl06, depends on your route through and if you're willing to drive out of your way for a faster charge. My go-to is Colonnade (459 & 280) as it's reliable and several good restaurants like Johnny Ray's, Taziki's, etc. Make sure you let the manager know that you're in there spending money because they've a charger available for your car.

Thanks much. That was in my top two/three stop points I was looking at. Good to know I was looking in the right areas. Has anyone used the NEMA 14-50 at the Munger Building. Availability is my concern there.

Yes, I used that charger when we visited Alabama in August. It is in the parking lot behind what I remember was Jimmy Johns but what Google Maps is now showing as Insomnia Cookies. Access from 11th Ave. It took me forever to figure out where this was, the pin in PlugShare is wrong.

In this image the charging spot is where the car with the mint green windshield sunscreen is parked:
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.5000154,-86.796735,27m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

The parking lot was very crowded when we went in the evening. I don't recall if it was a weekend or not. The spot was blocked off, however, with an orange cone. I moved the cone and parked and plugged in! No card or anything needed. It was great getting a full 29mph instead of the usual 18 at other Level 2s.

Thanks much. That was in my top two/three stop points I was looking at. Good to know I was looking in the right areas. Has anyone used the NEMA 14-50 at the Munger Building. Availability is my concern there.
I have a '15 MS ao I installed the NEMA 14-50 at work (Munger Blg) so I could charge my car at work and decided it needed to be public (I repositioned the pin on plug share). It's hard to keep the lane open during the week but I keep it monitored pretty closely. Your on your on during the weekends. So, come on by when you need it.

If you had this get together on Monday or Tuesday (10/17 or 18) I could have joined you from Dallas.

I did see my first MS this evening since leaving Dallas. It was parked next to my sister's car when we came out after dinner, SN 00491, one of the oldest MS I've seen. I'm at 113xxx. Maybe you know whose it is.
Wow.. SN 00491 is older then mine. My MS is sig006**.

I have a '15 MS ao I installed the NEMA 14-50 at work (Munger Blg) so I could charge my car at work and decided it needed to be public (I repositioned the pin on plug share). It's hard to keep the lane open during the week but I keep it monitored pretty closely. Your on your on during the weekends. So, come on by when you need it.

Thanks for making it public - it really helped!

Pretty cool to find the originator of the charging spot I used here on the forum. :cool:

Reactions: HillCountryFun
Yes, thanks for making this charger public, PWHB. I am looking at using it this Friday night or Saturday morning and sent you a DM. If anyone else here has used this charger and has thoughts on likely availability and safety of leaving my X there for several hours or possibly overnight, please let me know. Same question for charger at The Shops at Colonnade. Driving my new X from Atlanta to B'ham for a quick overnight trip on Friday...

Glad to hear they're putting a SuperCharger in Birmingham... We got delivery of our Model X in Atlanta back in August. Picked it up in Marietta, fully charged it and drove back. By the time we got home to Mountain Brook, it was down to 9%!

We have a charger at home, but of course, it's not near the Amps that the superchargers are.

See ya out on the roads! There aren't many of us out there in BHM, yet!

Yikes! I am driving from Midtown Atlanta to my daughter's school in Buckhead Atlanta then to my sister's home in Mountain Brook, near The Summit, on Friday afternoon and was hoping for more of a cushion than 9%. Sounds like I will need to drive straight to one of the chargers on the Plugshare map (Colonnade or Munger Building, I think). The Supercharger is much-needed!

I was in the "Up Town" area today and I didn't see any signs of construction. For those unfamiliar with the area, I've attached an aerial photo with the "Up Town" area in a green box. I figure the chargers could end up in any of the adjacent parking lots or even in the parking garage.

up-town.png

Reactions: atlg8or
I am trying to manage my expectations for when this site will be available. The fantastic supercharge.info is showing various SC locations around the country with permits in place for over a year and construction has not begun. Wondering what the normal timeline is from permit to charge?

As little as 3 weeks - to over 1 year. Mostly seems to be in the 6-8 week range as typical.

• Informative
Reactions: SeminoleFSU
To all - please message me if & when a future Birmingham (or other AL) get-together is planned - I would have liked to attend Carrigan's, but I was out of town for a while and didn't find out about it - thanks
The more the merrier. Mark your calendar, next meet will be at :

Thursday, December 8th 11:30 am-ish
Carrigan’s Public House
2430 Morris Avenue
Downtown Birmingham, 35203
As you probably know, Carrigan’s has a large lot across the street from the entrance, perfect for our Tesla line-up.

Hope to see you all there.