Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

bjorn nyland's test of tesla vision

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Android Auto? Amazon Alexa? Automations? Directions from CarPlay/AA showing on the instrument cluster/HUD?
Most of these require a new car not an OTA as they don’t offer MCU upgrades in most German brands - does BMW even support android auto now? I had to pay for basic car play mode which yes I used more than the BMW I drive system - but unless you had the perpetration for it wasn’t an OTA it was a full MCU change.

CarPlay never worked over the hud, and never had any impact on the instrument cluster. And yes IOS 16 will bring tons of new features but not on any existing car…

I

I agree with the rest but I think Teslas OTA updates are probably well ahead of most others still. Few even their software integrated enough to be able to update as much of it as Tesla let alone such a slick update process. Now if they could just be bothered to test it first before releasing it the system would be amazing...
I'd tend to agree about OTA updates.

My experience is limited but I had a brand new Peugeot e-2008 recently on loan and whilst it was imo better than my Model 3 in various areas (particularly the aforementioned driver convenience stuff, which genuinely was "set and forget" on this car), I tried doing an update on it and found out that it needed me to download it to a USB stick - using an app on my Mac for some reason - then sitting in the car for 45 odd minutes while it updated. Apparently I wasn't allowed to get out while it was doing this, nor could I lock it, etc.

Anecdotally I've heard of other marques having to go back to the dealer for OTA updates, which is a bit ridiculous.

I'm also highly sceptical of manufacturers that have a vested interest in maintaining big glass fronted dealerships. I feel like this will come at the cost of customers. I can well imagine they'll try and continue pitching software updates as being something you bring your car to the dealer to do (while getting your pants pulled down on unnecessary servicing).

• Funny
Reactions: SalisburySam
BMW
May only be available with additional optional equipment.

So unless you got the professional navigation it wasn’t an upgrade you could take without MCU change… hardly OTA upgrade
Well if you didn’t pay for CarPlay then don’t be surprised any updates around that functionality aren’t available for you.

Not quite sure what you’re getting at here, sounds like you want something for nothing.

It’s like having a SR model 3 and complaining you didn’t get track mode

I find the auto wipers and lights on my model Y which was delivered last week no more random than that on my previous car which was a 2020 Renault zoe, it’s workable and really isn’t an issue.

Don’t miss car play either..

300 mile drive to wales on Sunday and autopilot was faultless
+1

can't comment on the lights as I have a (radar) 2020 M3, but I rarely have issues with the wipers and don't get what all the fuss is about on here sometimes.

and yes, CarPlay is just horrid... a UI within a UI is just a horrid solution. some more native Tesla apps would be nice, perhaps an app store... but no CarPlay thanks... yuk.

Perhaps many of our woes are down to Tesla intransigence in embracing technology that already works even if they have to pay for the privilege, rather than going off piste for years to try and make their own technology work.I’m sure there is an element of face-saving going on, undoubtedly down to Musk’s claims
It’s an extraordinarily clever car but it could easily be so very much better if Tesla listened to it’s customers and set a minimum employment age for it’s software programmers!

As Tesla uses vision for the auto-wipers, make sure the windscreen is clean and doesn’t have any dried rain marks on it. I have found whenever the wipers dry wipe it’s because there’s water marks on the windscreen. Giving the windscreen a clean with the washers has solved this issue for me, every time. YMMV.
Nope, it was some bug guts and no amount of squirting would stop the wipers. It's happened more than once already in the month I've had the vision only car. I've now equipped myself with screen cleaner so I can stop and sort it, but this is annoying compared to the radar equipped Model 3 I had before.

Reactions: SalisburySam
+1

can't comment on the lights as I have a (radar) 2020 M3, but I rarely have issues with the wipers and don't get what all the fuss is about on here sometimes.

and yes, CarPlay is just horrid... a UI within a UI is just a horrid solution. some more native Tesla apps would be nice, perhaps an app store... but no CarPlay thanks... yuk.
But why would any organisation devote developer effort to create a standalone app for what is still a niche car company?

Reactions: roadcred
I'm surprised we've never had a discussion before on auto headlights, autopilot performance, wipers, over the air updates, which is better, the competition being 10 years behind, I drove 400 miles on a charge by hypermiling, I only got 150 miles out of the competition on a test drive when thrashing it in the rain. here's my holiday photos of my last european trip, it costs nothing to charge my Tesla (as I have Solar panels/free supercharging/still on the mega cheap octopus rate/spend all day hanging around tescos free chargers), I couldn't get a 3rd party charger to work the other day therefore they are all rubbish, what other car can you carry on watching netflix during a powercut, my windcreen is cracked, all of autopilot failures in the uk are because of the regulations and not Tesla, this EV (that cost half that of a Tesla) isn't as good, if you don't want to buy my car with a strange private plate and sexy buttons for £10k over the market it's because you can't afford it, twitter was a bad move, crypto was a bad move, crypto was a genious move etc etc etc etc etc etc

Did I miss anything? :) (I think that summerises my last week, it's been cathartic)

I'm surprised we've never had a discussion before on auto headlights, autopilot performance, wipers, over the air updates, which is better, the competition being 10 years behind, I drove 400 miles on a charge by hypermiling, I only got 150 miles out of the competition on a test drive when thrashing it in the rain. here's my holiday photos of my last european trip, it costs nothing to charge my Tesla (as I have Solar panels/free supercharging/still on the mega cheap octopus rate/spend all day hanging around tescos free chargers), I couldn't get a 3rd party charger to work the other day therefore they are all rubbish, what other car can you carry on watching netflix during a powercut, my windcreen is cracked, all of autopilot failures in the uk are because of the regulations and not Tesla, this EV (that cost half that of a Tesla) isn't as good, if you don't want to buy my car with a strange private plate and sexy buttons for £10k over the market it's because you can't afford it, twitter was a bad move, crypto was a bad move, crypto was a genious move etc etc etc etc etc etc

Did I miss anything? :) (I think that summerises my last week, it's been cathartic)
Yes it's boring that we all keep recycling the same opinions on every thread. Why can't we have a useful conversation about new experiences with Vision Only cars. It's different to the radar experience that the vast majority of people on this forum have.

Reactions: Medved_77
The devil on my shoulder REALLY wants me to press the report button on your post too 😂

Please do, I’ll have words with myself :)

Yes it's boring that we all keep recycling the same opinions on every thread. Why can't we have a useful conversation about new experiences with Vision Only cars. It's different to the radar experience that the vast majority of people on this forum have.

I’m all for debate, but as I’ve said a thousands times, less so repetition :)