Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

bjorn nyland's test of tesla vision

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's been that way forever on BMW. It allows you to set the sensitivity of the auto operation to user preference.

They use the same principle with their "Auto" A/C. It has 5 levels of strength. It's still automatic but operates within different parameters depending on your preference for the range of blower strength.
That’s a really good idea. Both for the wipers and the AC.

Reactions: Ipcress
There are loads of other EV around apart from Tesla to buy! Given current residues on these cars surely some of you should just px your Teslas for another better EV :).

Life is far too short to just moan, if you don't like something just move on.
Unfortunately no car is perfect and you must look at the "pros" and "cons" of each car. At the moment Tesla comes out on top due to the supercharger network and its performance verses efficiency. If and when, these "pros" change then so will buying choice will change.
In the meantime if Tesla could improve some of the "cons" it would help insure a brand loyalty.
Time will tell how this race will turn out...

There are loads of other EV around apart from Tesla to buy! Given current residues on these cars surely some of you should just px your Teslas for another better EV :).

Good grief! I was just about to make a comment about how refreshing it is to be able to have a proper discussion about these things without people who criticise certain aspects of their car, with great justification, being described as moaners, Tesla haters or being told to p*ss off and buy another car. On this forum I should have known better.

No car is perfect, and every choice will be a compromise to some extent. If you want performance and efficiency then Tesla are unrivalled. If you’re priority is comfort and refinement then you should certainly look elsewhere - my M3P is unforgivably loud at motorway speeds. Horses for courses. But when it comes to the unbelievably crap wipers and auto headlights you can understand why people criticise, especially when these are solved problems. That doesn’t make then moaners.

I decided some time ago that my next car will not be a Tesla, so I will be one who will be p*sing off to buy something better.

I'd expect that a fair few people making informed observations here already have other EV experience / ownership, and certainly experience of other ICE cars that are drawing from the same technology pool.

And life itself is quite a compromise when it comes down to it. But we make of it what we can!

I think there is quite a difference between an honest, disclosed or obvious compromise and the (imo) less honest but too common 'selling ahead of realisation' approach. Even worse is if that is then followed by the 'obsolete / legacy' argument, and cherry on top is doing all this with a brand that purports to be less wasteful / more sustainable with an implication of being longer lasting.

To build customer loyalty on genuine sustainability isn't easy assuming you will actually have to deliver what was promised, given that the manufacturer is effectively wrapping a significant amount of future development into what they are taking your money for today.

I'm almost in a deadly embrace with my MS, as I could sell it now for a decent price, but at the same time I want to see it deliver what I believed I was buying. For example, an implied commitment from Tesla to have FSD at a level where it stood a chance of gaining regulatory approval - and of course, as per this thread, basic driver aids working at least as well as other widely available systems deliver.

Last edited:
People want Tesla to do better. People are frustrated at basic things being neglected. That could only be described as moaning if you're ignorant of these issues, in my opinion.

I don't do a lot of miles so auto wipers and auto headlights being crapola don't bother me on a daily basis, but they are an irritation whenever I am confronted with their shortcomings. If one didn't know better from having driven other cars I'd just assume this was the best the tech could be, I mean it's Tesla - obviously their tech is the best there is, right?.. but it patently isn't. For a £50k+ car this stuff is shocking. if I did a lot of miles in all weathers and times of day I'd find the lack of driven convenience stuff or the poor performance of the stuff that is there a deal breaker, I think.

I want to be able to say my next car will be a Tesla, but the rate at which this stuff is being addressed (or not at all) means that realistically it won't be. The fact I flushed £5,800 down the toilet when I bought FSD in 2020, believing the lies about "automatic driving on city streets" was coming (in 2020) doesn't help either. I learnt post-purchase that Tesla basically don't give a crap about Europe (matrix headlights doing sod all here being a case in point).

I decided some time ago that my next car will not be a Tesla, so I will be one who will be p*sing off to buy something better.

But that is my point, why wait?? Residuals are super strong, NOW is the time to change.

Nothing in life is perfect, if it was most of us wouldn't have a job to go to I suspect :). But there is nothing worse in life than just moaning and not acting on it, if you don't like something go and do something about it, moaning about it never achieved anything in life.

Elon/Tesla couldn't careless how much moaning there is on car forums about XYZ, they have never done, and never will do. IF you really want to Tesla to change/listen the best way is to sell the car, and make it clear to Tesla why you are doing it. If enough people did that, than Elon/Tesla MIGHT notice and change, moaning does little to nothing.

Reactions: Jason71
But that is my point, why wait?? Residuals are super strong, NOW is the time to change.

Nothing in life is perfect, if it was most of us wouldn't have a job to go to I suspect :). But there is nothing worse in life than just moaning and not acting on it, if you don't like something go and do something about it, moaning about it never achieved anything in life.

Elon/Tesla couldn't careless how much moaning there is on car forums about XYZ, they have never done, and never will do. IF you really want to Tesla to change/listen the best way is to sell the car, and make it clear to Tesla why you are doing it. If enough people did that, than Elon/Tesla MIGHT notice and change, moaning does little to nothing.
No, now is NOT the time to change. Residual values are high because of the well known chip shortages in the auto industry, and many of the most desirable new cars won’t be available until next year. Looks like I’ll be moaning for quite a while longer.

But then I disagree about your definition. Well deserved criticism is not moaning. If you find a deeply flawed product in any other walk of life and criticise it does this constitute moaning, or is this just reserved to Tesla?

And I know Musk/Tesla don’t give a fig. That doesn’t mean we should be content with mediocrity and either put up or shut up.

I find the auto wipers and lights on my model Y which was delivered last week no more random than that on my previous car which was a 2020 Renault zoe, it’s workable and really isn’t an issue.

Don’t miss car play either..

300 mile drive to wales on Sunday and autopilot was faultless
The auto wipers I agree. They aren't that bad anymore. The auto main beam is literally dangerously bad

Reactions: Wol747
The auto wipers I agree. They aren't that bad anymore. The auto main beam is literally dangerously bad
Following a month/6 weeks of near drought across much of the country I wonder if this sentiment is in part linked to not being needed lately?

Either way I find they’re at their worst when it’s mizzle, fine rain and spray in winter, when it’s darker, whereas proper constant rain where they just need to be on and they’re not too bad.

I mean you compare Tesla and all it's AI and stuff vs bucket with wheels from economy brand when new car cost 1/4 of tesla... Right
FWIW I had 2 x 22kwh Zoe and a 40kwh. Headlights not very bright but auto beam switching never caused me much hassle. I used auto and it worked. With MS it's more trouble than it's worth to engage auto.

Reactions: Wol747
Following a month/6 weeks of near drought across much of the country I wonder if this sentiment is in part linked to not being needed lately?

Either way I find they’re at their worst when it’s mizzle, fine rain and spray in winter, when it’s darker, whereas proper constant rain where they just need to be on and they’re not too bad.
Wet drive into the office on Tuesday, I got sick of them quite quickly and switched to manual operation.