Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Black Beauty, damaged.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow this sucks. Sorry! I have a small ding I did myself ($4000) by leaving my door open while pulling in the garage. I'm surprised not one one of you could hear the crying and wailing.
When I was young and got my first new car I used to park really far to avoid dings etc.
At 63 I'm now doing it again everywhere. My wife's getting steps or I'm dropping her off at the door.....

My neighbors think I'm a bit nuts and I've watched 200 videos on car detailing and bought stock in Adams polishes

Just sayin

Your damage hurts me just looking at the picture.

I've been calmed by the fact that it's. Or my fault, the other guy's insurance pays for it all.

I get rental car, and went with Turo.com to get a rental Model S for a month.

So far so good

Just watched your dashcam video. Hope you also find calm in the fact that you did everything right. You came to a complete stop at a point where you could clearly see the rear tires of the vehicle in front of you. The impact then occurred less than a second after you stopped. This left you with no time to initiate a safe 'out', either to your left or right. Glad you're okay and so will be Black Beauty soon.

January 17, 2017

-accident 11/14
- first estimate 11/18 : $18k approved
- 2nd estimate 12/23: $4.1k additional
(Wtf happened from 11/18-12/23 is beyond my guess; the 36 car que in front of mine?)
- payment released to repair shop for additional work 12/28

As of now, still waiting on trunk floor and rear bumper rail. Then body work can continue. Maybe 2 more weeks for those OEM parts? Who know?

Then what 2-4 weeks to refinish, assemble and check?

I'll be without my Model S for 4 months.

HEY ELON! CRANK UP THE SPARE PARTS MAN...I mean really

Reactions: davidc18
January 17, 2017

-accident 11/14
- first estimate 11/18 : $18k approved
- 2nd estimate 12/23: $4.1k additional
(Wtf happened from 11/18-12/23 is beyond my guess; the 36 car que in front of mine?)
- payment released to repair shop for additional work 12/28

As of now, still waiting on trunk floor and rear bumper rail. Then body work can continue. Maybe 2 more weeks for those OEM parts? Who know?

Then what 2-4 weeks to refinish, assemble and check?

I'll be without my Model S for 4 months.

HEY ELON! CRANK UP THE SPARE PARTS MAN...I mean really

That's rough:(:mad:

welcome to my Tesla Horror Story.
11/14/16 a stupid idiot wasn't looking forward (sneezing, whatever dude), and cause so far $21k worth of damage.
- I'm out $3.5K for a tesla rental for a month I had it and will sue to get that back if it's denied.
- Now slumming it in my Nissan Leaf and work bus to commute.

So enjoy the damage pictures, I wish this on no one.

The Black Beauty is going to be in this state of dis-repair for another few weeks at least while we wait for:
- Floor trunk panel (sacraficial part)
- Rear bumper rail (the floor covers it)
- No word yet on RFS (hopefully service center will sell the kit to my repair center)

All those pink marks are the added cost to repair. Especially in the back that 3mm dent caused an extra $4.1k of damage.

Ugg, So let's hope for maybe having her back to normal by say Feb 13? My birthday?

Until then; We Drink! Homebrew!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0515.JPG
    IMG_0515.JPG
    522.3 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_0515.JPG
    IMG_0515.JPG
    522.3 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_0518.JPG
    IMG_0518.JPG
    307.5 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_0522.JPG
    IMG_0522.JPG
    381.1 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_0514.JPG
    IMG_0514.JPG
    388 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_0517.JPG
    IMG_0517.JPG
    275.8 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_0521.JPG
    IMG_0521.JPG
    328.1 KB · Views: 158
  • 79D5E2E0-9740-48BC-9203-BAE089B128BF.jpg
    79D5E2E0-9740-48BC-9203-BAE089B128BF.jpg
    451.8 KB · Views: 161
Here she is, all nude, butt tuck done, breast implants fixed, hips in check, now to dress her up a bit. ETA ~3/10

I don't wish this pain on anyone

Attachments

• IMG_0030.JPG
    IMG_0030.JPG
    128.6 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_0027.JPG
    IMG_0027.JPG
    133.7 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_0026.JPG
    IMG_0026.JPG
    128.8 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_0028.JPG
    IMG_0028.JPG
    129.4 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_0031.JPG
    IMG_0031.JPG
    131.8 KB · Views: 134
Your car also covered at least 4 cars worth of profit & overhead for them. Holy half a Tesla.
Gosh, I hope you are back in your car soon.
Half a profit for who?

Interestingly, when trying to ask Tesla for delayed parts I was given a list that included what the repair shop pays. There's a markup but it's not outrageous; most items somewhere in the 10-30% mark. It's the labor that adds up.

To the guy who hit me from behind, his company's insurance:
1. $25k for my car repairs
2. $3.5k for a car rental
3. $1k deductible
4. Unknown diminished value claim as of now (I'm thinking $10-15k, but I'd agree to $5-7k)
5. Repairs to his Ford Fusion (maybe $2k)
6. Repairs to the chevy traverse I was pushed into ($2-3k)

I think that the total accident claim for all parties is now close to or more than $33-38k.

Don't be at fault in an accident with a Tesla. That's my happy thought

Half a profit for who?

Interestingly, when trying to ask Tesla for delayed parts I was given a list that included what the repair shop pays. There's a markup but it's not outrageous; most items somewhere in the 10-30% mark. It's the labor that adds up.

To the guy who hit me from behind, his company's insurance:
1. $25k for my car repairs
2. $3.5k for a car rental
3. $1k deductible
4. Unknown diminished value claim as of now (I'm thinking $10-15k, but I'd agree to $5-7k)
5. Repairs to his Ford Fusion (maybe $2k)
6. Repairs to the chevy traverse I was pushed into ($2-3k)

I think that the total accident claim for all parties is now close to or more than $33-38k.

Don't be at fault in an accident with a Tesla. That's my happy thought

So sorry you are going through this! Someone ran a red light and totaled my 85D last year and I cannot imagine waiting 4+ months to get back into a Tesla! I ordered a new Model S very soon after my accident. It's crazy that ordering a new car to be built from scratch is much faster than fixing one.

Glad that you are safe and hope you get your baby back soon!

So sorry you are going through this! Someone ran a red light and totaled my 85D last year and I cannot imagine waiting 4+ months to get back into a Tesla! I ordered a new Model S very soon after my accident. It's crazy that ordering a new car to be built from scratch is much faster than fixing one.

Glad that you are safe and hope you get your baby back soon!

Getting my:
1. Baby back (Tesla) ~3/10
2. Baby Back ribs (Chili's), 3/6, but first a good pizza, CHEESE, and a burger (all of which not so popular in China)

• Funny
Reactions: Model S M.D.
Sorry for your loss and pain! thank you so much for sharing the details with us - I learnt a lot!

Quick Q on if/who maintains the high voltage battery during this prolonged downtime. We have threads where people say to plug in every night - a plugged tesla is a happy tesla. I wonder what a repair shop does to a tesla battery - keep it plugged in to maintain a 50% charge e.g.? If not, and say battery is slowly draining down close to 0% - and they say that is very bad for the battery to stay at that low level for long. What is it that you can do toward diminished value return?

The car battery was maintained during this time, and confirmed a few days ago, they've been charging to 90% and letting it trickle down to what i guess is 25-30%. The battery was dropped out during the body work, and as far as I know now, no worse than when she went in, around 225miles @ 90%; 245-250 @ 100% SOC.

For diminished value, I need to request it from the insurance company at fault. I was told my purchase price held up well ($68k for a 2013 P85 in 2015 w/50k miles), and I think I'll need at least 3 trade in prices for example: Tesla, Autotrader, Trucar? Once I get that, I'll need a value effectively before the accident assuming no damage claims vs. now. (she's now got 80k miles)

It might get fishy due to the fact I bought a CPO. I was basically told my $68k prices would be valued now around $55-60k (with the added RFS maybe a few more); but w/o damage. W/damage, I'd estimate a value in $35-45k; so I plan to ask for $15-20k in diminished value. Will settle for $10-12K and a giant "i'm Sorry" from the schmuck that caused this issue.

Either way, I'm pretty sure I'm going to sue: 1. the guy who caused it, 2. his employer (owner and registered on the insurance card), 3. Liberty Mutual in Small Claims for the car rental they verbally told me they'd decline to pay..(long story). So we shall see.

4 months without use of my exotic supercar has to be worth more than the simple repairs cost. I need emotional damages as well from PTSD (haha)

Reactions: Lu Ann and phaduman
So sorry to read about your experience. I hope you're able to get compensation for diminished value & other issues. Will this repair actually show up on Carfax? My Focus Electric was rear-ended twice during the lease. I recently located it being sold used at a local VW dealership. They list offer the Carfax online. The Carfax says 0 accidents and shows "vehicle serviced" the two times that accident damage was repaired by a local Ford dealer's internal body shop.